2021 Alpine Sound System Quality?

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Good morning all. I had a 2012 Wrangler with the upgraded sound system along with the subwoofer in the cargo area...I was not at all impressed with the 2012 sound system at all. Did they change that system recently or is the same exact one as the older JK's? I could not test the sound of it on the newer JL's, so your input is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It’s better than the 2012 but nothing exceptional. The head unit is much improved however. I would rate the 2012 a 3 and my 2020 a 6 (on a 10 point scale)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Not sure what they had on the '12, but the audio on my '18 sounds great. That said, it's not likely to meet the expectations of an audiophile, but definitely an improvement over the base system.
Compared to the Alpine system I had in my Ram, the JL is slightly less powerful, but I don't think they can jamb as many (or as big) speakers into the Wrangler like they can the Ram.
All in all, I'm happy with it. Can you do better aftermarket? Yes. Is it better than a standard unit? Also yes.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s better than the 2012 but nothing exceptional. The head unit is much improved however. I would rate the 2012 a 3 and my 2020 a 6 (on a 10 point scale)
This. It's better than my 2013 Sahara Alpine, but not worth what they charge. The 8 inch display however is nice and I'll stay with it when I rip out all the other garbage.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Don't upgrade a thing including the head unit. Unfortunately I sprung for the Alpine and am underwhelmed. Get the bare minimum when buying the JL & go straight to a aftermarket car stereo retailer/installer. I'm talking to a installer now (my JL isn't even a month old) and they said even the Alpine system on the Jeep is limiting me on upgrading. I don't want to lose the $1300 Alpine upgrade I just ordered the JL with but Alpine isn't as compatible with other brands. So naturally they want to rip it all out. Best advise I wish I would have taken is get the Jeep with nothing (minimum) & start from scratch.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Alpine on my JL sounds very good, and a lot better than that in my 2012 JK.

If I were to criticize anything, I find this sound system overall leans too much towards low frequencies. I have to kill the excess boom with the equalizer whenever I want to crank up the volume.

Unlike JK, where you had to opt for Alpine sound separately from 430N, on JL you automatically get Alpine sound when you opt for navigation.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... I'm talking to a installer now ......... So naturally they want to rip it all out. ....
Which is obviously the most profitiable for them.

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not saying they're lying, but of course they want to do the most work possible, with the most replacement parts possible.
That's like going to a suspension shop with a Rubicon saying you want a little lift to clear a slightly bigger tire. They'll tell you that you need to replace everything to get "the best" set up. Sure there might be better configurations aftermarket, but that's not to say the stock configuration isn't already good. The stock system may be good for what your doing, just like some of the stock stereo components may be good for what you want.
They're there to make a sale, and to make you believe it's the best choice you can make.

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Don't upgrade a thing including the head unit. Unfortunately I sprung for the Alpine and am underwhelmed. Get the bare minimum when buying the JL & go straight to a aftermarket car stereo retailer/installer. I'm talking to a installer now (my JL isn't even a month old) and they said even the Alpine system on the Jeep is limiting me on upgrading. I don't want to lose the $1300 Alpine upgrade I just ordered the JL with but Alpine isn't as compatible with other brands. So naturally they want to rip it all out. Best advise I wish I would have taken is get the Jeep with nothing (minimum) & start from scratch.
Too late. Lol

OP
OP
JeezAJeep

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I
The Alpine on my JL sounds very good, and a lot better than that in my 2012 JK.

If I were to criticize anything, I find this sound system overall leans too much towards low frequencies. I have to kill the excess boom with the equalizer whenever I want to crank up the volume.

Unlike JK, where you had to opt for Alpine sound separately from 430N, on JL you automatically get Alpine sound when you opt for navigation.
felt the same with the low frequencies.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
A Jeep is about the worst place to expect audiophile sound in the world, especially a 2 door. I put a system in my 97 TJ that, for the year, really worked well but it still was challenging to get any decent sound. My 21 2 door JLR has the Alpine upgrade. I think they did a great job with what little space there is to work with. Will it rattle the guy next to me at a stop light? Not likely and I don't ever want to do that anyway. Audiophile sound is achievable in very controlled spaces, even living rooms are a challenge what with standing waves and such. The Alpine setup is very good, you should be able to improve on it but at great expense, likely greater than the cost of the option.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I love my Alpine stereo, even i don't have a trained ear on best quality. I think it works great and have no problem at high speeds with roof off and i don't even go past 20 on the dial. To me it's a slam-dunk upgrade to the 8.4in and Alpine for the price.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I tend to upgrade every vehicles audio (except my BMW M5), and consider myself a bit of an audio guy. For me, the 8.4 screen drove the decision. The sound quality is not bad, but it does lack a bit of clarity in the highs and the sub is very muddled. As mentioned in an above comment, it is just too much at low volumes and not balanced very well. I am a guy that loves deep, bumming base, but it is hard to control via the head unit and becomes overwhelming at low volumes, and not enough at higher volumes to keep me satisfied. Doubt I will do anything with mine right now as it is adequate and I would rather put the money into other hard parts. Long term I imagine I will upgrade the speakers and add in a second box in the back. There are already some neat premade boxes that look really nice.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have the Alpine in my 2
Good morning all. I had a 2012 Wrangler with the upgraded sound system along with the subwoofer in the cargo area...I was not at all impressed with the 2012 sound system at all. Did they change that system recently or is the same exact one as the older JK's? I could not test the sound of it on the newer JL's, so your input is much appreciated.
I have the Alpine in my 2021 and also had it in my 2016. I also had the upgraded system (Infiniti?) in my 2012. They were all great to me, but I wasn’t looking for a world class system either.

You’ll be fine.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Many people hate in the alpine premium sound system but I have it in my 2021 and imho, it is actually pretty good for a stock sound system. Are there better stock premium sound systems, yes. But the JL Alpine system is pretty good. I listen to a lot of rap and from the way it kicks, you can absolutely feel that there is a dedicated large subwoofer in the cabin.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Get a new installer as they are giving you bullshit. It is the same head unit interface you use (PAC or DSR1) with or without the Alpine.
Sponsored