Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice rig. I’m almost 3 months behind schedule on my build. Yet seeing you rig help motivate my desires to see my rig get finished.
Sponsored

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Nice rig. I’m almost 3 months behind schedule on my build. Yet seeing you rig help motivate my desires to see my rig get finished.
It’s been a savage journey that’s still not over. Hopefully soon I’ll have a rig I can wheel lol

Good luck with your build, May the force be with you!!

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
My parts were all ordered and paid for in mid October.

It’s going to be March before I have a functional rig.

One with many important upgrades still to be desired such as PSC Hydro Assist (the factory steering is no longer adequate with 40’s IMHO in case anyone is wondering.) and a full set of Artec Aluminum Skid plates, maybe even a tune from Green Diesel Engineering.

None of them are available for the 3.0D yet though.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

One with many important upgrades still to be desired such as PSC Hydro Assist (the factory steering is no longer adequate with 40’s IMHO in case anyone is wondering.) and a full set of Artec Aluminum Skid plates, maybe even a tune from Green Diesel Engineering.

Banks is about to have their derringer tuner for sale

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase

I know the feeling. I cut a check for almost 40k to get parts ordered and everything is in but the axles. The RCV shafts were the hold up. Dynatrac just got there hands on them last Friday, so hopefully in the next couple weeks they will be done and ready to be shipped. Then the magic can start.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Yeah, same boat on those skids. I was told the PSC hydro assist kit works with the diesel with modification.

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I know the feeling. I cut a check for almost 40k to get parts ordered and everything is in but the axles. The RCV shafts were the hold up. Dynatrac just got there hands on them last Friday, so hopefully in the next couple weeks they will be done and ready to be shipped. Then the magic can start.
Did you get the 72” Dynatracs?
Yeah, same boat on those skids. I was told the PSC hydro assist kit works with the diesel with modification.
I called and talked to them about it. They are working on a diesel spect kit but said it’s challenging them to say the least. They hope to have it out this summer.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Did you get the 72” Dynatracs?

I called and talked to them about it. They are working on a diesel spect kit but said it’s challenging them to say the least. They hope to have it out this summer.
Gotcha. I suppose that's not too long. Even on 37's the steering is less than fun to deal with.

I'm also currently trying to decide 70 vs 72 on the axles, though going with Currie. Will unfortunately be stuck on these stock axles for Moab so will just take it easy with 40's for the week.

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Gotcha. I suppose that's not too long. Even on 37's the steering is less than fun to deal with.

I'm also currently trying to decide 70 vs 72 on the axles, though going with Currie. Will unfortunately be stuck on these stock axles for Moab so will just take it easy with 40's for the week.
With the 40’s it’s now completely impossible to turn with front locker on. And it has zero power to move the tires if you’re not moving at all even on pavement which makes parking suck even more.

I’ve heard Currie has no E-brake and it’s a mother f***** to get one to work. May not be true but that’s what I’ve heard.

I hate the E brake and Steering on the UD60’s I got.

If I could do it all over again I would definitely get the 72” Dynatrac’s and correctly offset wheels (5.5” BS I believe) and pay for their parking brake cable and I would’ve probably been happy as a clam on 40’s

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
10 Pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag

The Saga continues.....

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 40” Rubicon Diesel Build 220DB83F-A0DD-448C-9CE9-BD787E323FB4
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 40” Rubicon Diesel Build F819FAA6-4842-4BAF-877F-8793A3FFE7EA

Sponsored

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Sorry if I missed it but what gears did you go with and are you happy with them. Looking at 60s for my diesel as well. Thanks

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Sorry if I missed it but what gears did you go with and are you happy with them. Looking at 60s for my diesel as well. Thanks
Good question!!! I’ll take the bait to help out the community since I was the sacrificial lamb here so to speak anyways lol.

I went 4.88 - am I happy with them.... NO. The Jeep’s still slow as hell even with the gears and 40’s. So if you’re thinking deeper gears will make this thing faster - think again they won’t. It’s a diesel the motor only spins so fast and it has low HP.

Power is okay. Haven’t got to try 4Low yet so I can’t speak to the super deep crawl ratio I now have...

But my main beef is the MPG TANKED. Which I was not expecting. That’s why I got the diesel in the first place. I wanted to still be able to get 20+ MPG on 40’s...

Well let me tel you it ain’t happing with 4.88’s! So my recommendation to you would be go with 4.56 gears. Maybe you’ll be luckier than me on the MPG.

4.56 & 40’s is the closest stock gear and tire size match for the diesel to the stock configuration. I thought it could use the extra pep with the 40’s so I went 4.88, boy was that a mistake!

So if you’re learning from my ultra expensive mistakes I wouldn’t go 4.88 again... and would definitely not even consider anything deeper unless you’re going to only trailer this rig and never drive it on the streets or just don’t care about getting MPG just as bad as the gassers on big tires do.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 40” Rubicon Diesel Build 2727D091-AB84-4371-A644-37A0E0546ED5

OP
OP
40”JLURD

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
By the way Thisbe are ratio table i posted above is nearly 100% accurate.

Stock I was doing 76 MPH in 8th gear at 2,000 RPM

Now I’m doing 69-70 MPH in 8th gear at 2,000 RPM

The highway MPG is actually hovering right around 20 ish now. But street driving absolutely kills it (starting off from a stop with these big meats).

I haven’t don’t a highway only trip yet long enough to truly get an accurate MPG. But combined since the lift, gears and tires I’ve gone through 3 tanks of diesel with combined driving and haven’t averaged better than 16.6 MPG as hand calculated,and I’ve been driving like I was driving miss daisy too breaking in the new R&P for the first 500 miles.

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
By the way Thisbe are ratio table i posted above is nearly 100% accurate.

Stock I was doing 76 MPH in 8th gear at 2,000 RPM

Now I’m doing 69-70 MPH in 8th gear at 2,000 RPM

The highway MPG is actually hovering right around 20 ish now. But street driving absolutely kills it (starting off from a stop with these big meats).

I haven’t don’t a highway only trip yet long enough to truly get an accurate MPG. But combined since the lift, gears and tires I’ve gone through 3 tanks of diesel with combined driving and haven’t averaged better than 16.6 MPG as hand calculated,and I’ve been driving like I was driving miss daisy too breaking in the new R&P for the first 500 miles.
Ok that’s the info I was looking for I really appreciate it. I’m getting 21 average right now on light 40s and stock gears. I couldn’t decide between 4.56 and 4.88.
Sponsored