DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My definition of "peaky" matches Wikipedia. Flat torque curve = peaky power curve.

800px-Powerband.gif

The S2000 is the known for being peaky. Look how flat the torque curve is:
AP1S2Haltech.jpg
Lol, but if talking horsepower, I've never actually seen an engine with a flat curve.

We're just giving you a hard time, man! ;)
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The S2000 is the known for being peaky. Look how flat the torque curve is:
AP1S2Haltech.jpg
Ok that ain't flat, and you definitely have a different definition of peaky.

But I think we can both agree we should stop this argument now, we are arguing over interpretations.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Lol, but if talking horsepower, I've never actually seen an engine with a flat curve.

We're just giving you a hard time, man! ;)
Me either. It would have a downward sloping torque curve.

Ok that ain't flat, and you definitely have a different definition of peaky.

But I think we can both agree we should stop this argument now, we are arguing over interpretations.
ok

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Can anyone confirm if Selec Trac is available on the 2 door? Build configurator for the 2021 Willys 2DR automatic shows it is

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
One point I haven’t brought up is resale. I know the 2 door will already put me at a disadvantage, It a 2 door plus manual may be even harder to sell when the time comes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
One point I haven’t brought up is resale. I know the 2 door will already put me at a disadvantage, It a 2 door plus manual may be even harder to sell when the time comes.
Actually, they are not harder to sell. Just as there are fewer people looking for them, there are fewer manuals out there. Buyers almost always say they had a hard time finding them. I have people offer to buy my manual JK all the time and I have to tell them it isn't for sale. The resale difference is about the same as the difference in cost up front, too.

My local dealership told me that when they've had a manual in stock, used or new, they didn't last long. People come from far away to buy them, again, because they are harder to find.

I'd expect it is a similar situation for the 2 door. I've never really heard anyone say they had a hard time selling their Jeep. What they do say is that they are surprised at how high the resale value is.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I know exactly what you’re going through.
On my - ordered 21 Rubi- I went with the 3.6 and manual trans. Also a 2 door. FWIW, I couldn’t be happier

Gina

First Name
GiGi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I love my 2.0 turbo. Power is great and the great gas mileage is an added bonus. As a result of COVID, I have not driven tons this year but still loving it at 9,100 miles (bought certified used from dealer with 3,600 miles).

Sponsored

calipo223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda accord
Me either. It would have a downward sloping torque curve.

ok
Can anyone confirm if Selec Trac is available on the 2 door? Build configurator for the 2021 Willys 2DR automatic shows it is
Yes. I have a 2 door sport s and I have select trac. When you get select trac you also have to get the limited slip.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I'm late to the party, but yes, this has been hashed and rehashed many times. I've got a Feb 2018 production JLU Sport S with 6sp and 3.6. I took delivery in April 2018 and as of this post I have 46,289 miles. I absolutely love this set up and wouldn't have it any other way.

The automatics are all computer controlled, so if you get a trans control module failure you're SOL. You can't bump start the auto, nor can you skip gears if one is bad, like in a manual. So for durability, ease of repair, and longevity, I recommend the manual.

The manual is becoming a rarer beast out there and in So Cal, when I brought my JLU to the dealer for some warranty work, 3 techs wanted to drive it and several customers were talking to me about how I got one. The dealers out here just don't order manuals. People is LA are just too bougie to have to shift gears themselves. Heck, all the Ferraris and Lambos are all automatics now.

The dealer even asked me to trade in my JLU at their dealership if I wanted to upgrade because manuals are so rare. So in my opinion, in LA, my manual would get me more money (not that I'm interested in selling it) than an automatic for the right buyer. If someone were to haggle with me about paying less for a manual, I'd say bye Felicia and move on.

I have to agree that when I upgraded to 35's from the stock rims and tires, I have to row the gears much more and the responsiveness isn't like it was. I can't afford to regear right now, so I hold the gears longer and shift at 3500 RPM to keep the rev's around 2k so I don't lug the engine.

My fuel economy sucks more with the lift, wheels and tires. My stock JLU got excellent mileage for a Jeep (in the 20's on the highway and almost 19 combined). I'm getting around 14 combined now.

The turbo 4 hasn't been around long enough for me to give an opinion, so go with what you like. I grew up seeing Jeeps with manual transmissions. My 16 JKU Sahara had an auto and I fell asleep driving it. It was super easy on the trails, but it wasn't as engaging as a 6sp (but this can be said of any automatic).

It's a dying breed of car and truck and it's worth owning one just to have one. We're all going to ultimately go electric, so why not own something that you actually control...not a computer.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I'm not going to commit to one side vs. the other when it comes to 2.0 vs. 3.6. My point was that all the negative posts about direct injection don't necessarily apply to the 2.0.
Well said. I'll shit on FCA for a myriad of things, but it looks like they got this one right. So far, so good.

Now, if they could only fix the damn thermometer that says it's 70 degrees in my garage with no windows when it's actually 20 and my remote start heat won't kick on.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
3.6 Manual 6 speed, 35 K. Zero issues with mine. Currently getting about 22 smiles per gallon......love this Jeep.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I sold my manual JKU in 3 days. There are people out there looking for them all the time!
Sponsored