2021 3.6 eTorque - No Aux Battery?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I recently read on this forum that if anyone had the eTorque version of the 2.0T engine, they didn’t have the horribly located small auxiliary battery that is usually installed under the PDC.

I had absolutely no idea this was the case. I have the 2021 eTorque version of the Pentastar. Does this mean that I also do not have a small auxiliary battery under the PDC?

Also, if this is indeed true, how does the auto start/stop system work if it no longer has the aux battery to use for all the on-board electronics during an auto-stop event?
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
From here (https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=Wrangler_Etorque_Technology&type=4)

"How Does Jeep Wrangler's eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology Work?
A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator to create:

• a seamless start/stop function;
  • a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions; and,
  • brake energy regeneration to increase efficiency and responsiveness.
When the engine is running, eTorque's motor generator unit delivers 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The battery pack includes a 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC converter. This holds the battery's charge and converts 48 volts to 12 volts so that power can be use to power Jeep Wrangler's accessories and charge its conventional 12-volt lead-acid battery.

About the size of a small suitcase, the air-cooled battery pack is mounted to the interior rear wall of Jeep Wrangler's cabin. The battery pack's case is insulated to hush the noise generate by the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is then drawn from the vehicle interior and released through the built-in cabin exhausters."

Long story short, the belt-driven starter/generator replaces both the alternator and the starter on the eTorque models. It performs both functions in the same unit. It's powered by that 48V battery in the cabin.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I recently read on this forum that if anyone had the eTorque version of the 2.0T engine, they didn’t have the horribly located small auxiliary battery that is usually installed under the PDC.

I had absolutely no idea this was the case. I have the 2021 eTorque version of the Pentastar. Does this mean that I also do not have a small auxiliary battery under the PDC?

Also, if this is indeed true, how does the auto start/stop system work if it no longer has the aux battery to use for all the on-board electronics during an auto-stop event?
My 2.0 eTorque has it (aux battery underneath main battery behind passenger fender) according to the dealership. I think they're wrong from what I am reading though :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Very interesting, I wonder how we can find out definitively, short of removing the passenger fender or unbolting the PDC..

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting, I wonder how we can find out definitively, short of removing the passenger fender or unbolting the PDC..
I would imagine the manual would be accurate. I have not bothered to check.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would imagine the manual would be accurate. I have not bothered to check.
I have. The manual doesn’t say anything at all except that you have a maintenance free battery that you don’t need to worry about. Absolutely nothing about an aux battery in any of the JL Wrangler manuals 2018-2021

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 2.0 eTorque has it (aux battery underneath main battery behind passenger fender) according to the dealership. I think they're wrong from what I am reading though :LOL:
They are dead wrong. And to think, they're supposed to be the end-all for knowledge of their own product.:facepalm:
ESS and BSG(Etorque) are 2 very different auto stop/start systems. All ESS motors have a smaller auxiliary 12v battery located under the main battery. All BSG motors have a 48v liquid cooled battery located on the inside of the drivers side frame rail, just forward of the rear axle.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are dead wrong. And to think, they're supposed to be the end-all for knowledge of their own product.:facepalm:

ESS and BSG(Etorque) are 2 very different auto stop/start systems. All ESS motors have a smaller auxiliary 12v battery located under the main battery. All BSG motors have a 48v liquid cooled battery located on the inside of the drivers side frame rail, just forward of the rear axle.
It's funny because I was having issues with ESS and it took three different dealers to finally get it replaced under warranty (after all, free is free). That said, I was under the assumption at the time that I did have the aux battery under the main battery. I was going to pull the batteries myself due to dealership not wanting to fix the issue. Funny now because if I did I would have discovered there was no aux battery... probably would have been super confused at that point :LOL:

To be clear though :
1) ZERO of the three dealerships knew it did NOT have an AUX battery.
2) TWO techs I talked to working on the vehicle THOUGHT it had an AUX battery.
3) TWO dealerships TOLD ME they checked the AUX battery below the main battery and that they checked out good.

Just fn' LOL at this point. I guess the whole 6 quarts of oil makes more sense now.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny because I was having issues with ESS and it took three different dealers to finally get it replaced under warranty (after all, free is free). That said, I was under the assumption at the time that I did have the aux battery under the main battery. I was going to pull the batteries myself due to dealership not wanting to fix the issue. Funny now because if I did I would have discovered there was no aux battery... probably would have been super confused at that point :LOL:

To be clear though :
3) TWO dealerships TOLD ME they checked the AUX battery below the main battery and that they checked out good.

Just fn' LOL at this point. I guess the whole 6 quarts of oil makes more sense now.
Exactly!

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Did you read my link? Or do any of your own Google-ing?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
About the size of a small suitcase, the air-cooled battery pack is mounted to the interior rear wall of Jeep Wrangler's cabin. The battery pack's case is insulated to hush the noise generate by the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is then drawn from the vehicle interior and released through the built-in cabin exhausters."
Well your link says this which is completely wrong as the battery is not air cooled nor is it mounted inside the cabin. Not surprising as it comes from Chrysler/FCA!

Gregj
ETA: it doesn't replace the starter either, initial start-up is accomplished with the conventional starter, the BSG is tasked with the re-start at the end of an ESS event.

Last edited:

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Headbar is 100% spot on. These are 2 totally different systems, ESS is completely different from the E-Torque set up on the 3.6 Pentastar with the auto 8 speed. ESS uses the starter after a stop, E-Torque used a belt drive motor generator and 48 volt battery under the rear left side of the vehicle , including a skid plate to protect the battery pack( Briefcase size with cooling lines). Seems like people are confusing the regular ESS systems with the E-Torque system...

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

To be clear though :

isn't 6.3 q

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you read my link? Or do any of your own Google-ing?
Indeed I did. I’ve also read that article about a month ago when I wanted to learn more about the system.
I’m all too aware that there is a suitcase sized 48v battery towards the back of the jeep but there was (and still is) no definitive answer if there is or isn’t a 12v auxiliary battery in the 2021 Pentastar eTorque, no matter how much research I did.
Hence, this thread.

edit: based on everyone’s comments, I’m leaning very strongly towards there not being one, but this isn’t definitive information.
Sponsored