DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's funny because I was having issues with ESS and it took three different dealers to finally get it replaced under warranty (after all, free is free). That said, I was under the assumption at the time that I did have the aux battery under the main battery. I was going to pull the batteries myself due to dealership not wanting to fix the issue. Funny now because if I did I would have discovered there was no aux battery... probably would have been super confused at that point :LOL:

To be clear though :
1) ZERO of the three dealerships knew it did NOT have an AUX battery.
2) TWO techs I talked to working on the vehicle THOUGHT it had an AUX battery.
3) TWO dealerships TOLD ME they checked the AUX battery below the main battery and that they checked out good.

Just fn' LOL at this point. I guess the whole 6 quarts of oil makes more sense now.
Your third statement is just crazy... what else do they lie about if they lie about that... For example, claiming they performed repairs or maintenance when they in fact never touched your vehicle doesnā€™t seem so far fetched after reading that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I know not ā€œapples to applesā€ but my wifeā€™s ā€˜18 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo e-Torque has the box for the auxiliary battery but it is empty.
Gregj
Thanks for chiming in! Itā€™s looking more and more like I never have to worry about a terribly located aux battery dying on me and/or having to replace it every few years.

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
Thanks for chiming in! Itā€™s looking more and more like I never have to worry about a terribly located aux battery dying on me and/or having to replace it every few years.
So I just purchased (on September 28) a 2021 Rubicon with Engine ā€œ2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine with Start Stopā€ on the window sticker, after looking at a 2020 Rubicon with Engine ā€œ3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESSā€ on the window sticker ā€” and I thought I had some idea what I was comparing (not to mention what I got). Iā€™m glad I hadnā€™t seen all of the above to try to figure it out at the time. It seems like I have a simple garden variety 12 volt with Start Stop software ā€” right? And the 2020 above with the 3.6L has what?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I just purchased (on September 28) a 2021 Rubicon with Engine ā€œ2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine with Start Stopā€ on the window sticker, after looking at a 2020 Rubicon with Engine ā€œ3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESSā€ on the window sticker ā€” and I thought I had some idea what I was comparing (not to mention what I got). Iā€™m glad I hadnā€™t seen all of the above to try to figure it out at the time. It seems like I have a simple garden variety 12 volt with Start Stop software ā€” right? And the 2020 above with the 3.6L has what?
I believe that both of the engines you mention above have the ESS/aux battery and not the 48v etorque system.

Sponsored

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
I believe that both of the engines you mention above have the ESS/aux battery and not the 48v etorque system.
I see, so it looks like the 2020 3.6L above was the last of the non-eTorque automatics ā€” as I understand it 2021 3.6L automatics are eTorques? Or put another way, where are eTorques available on 2021 JLā€™s?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have. The manual doesnā€™t say anything at all except that you have a maintenance free battery that you donā€™t need to worry about. Absolutely nothing about an aux battery in any of the JL Wrangler manuals 2018-2021
From my 2020 owners manual page 361

Secondary Battery
Your vehicle may be equipped with a secondary battery used
to power the Stop/Start system and the 12 Volt vehicle electrical
system. The secondary battery is located behind the
wheel well for the front passenger wheel

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I will make it simple:
2020 3.6 no e torque, it has a small battery commonly referred to as ā€œaux batteryā€. Some 2.0 cane with e torque.

2021 3.6 w/ automatic transmission come with e torque, manual transmission does not have e torque (small aux battery)
2.0 have small aux battery

ā€œaux batteryā€ is the small battery behind the glove box that is used for auto start/stop. These are whats failing in threads all over this forum causing all kinds of issues.

e torque is a 48v liquid cooled battery pack located under the jeep. This controls ESS electronic start/stop as there is no alternator. These vehicles have a belt start generator that provides the initial ( and I mean fraction of a second) turn of the wheels before the engine kicks on. E torque is a much more reliable and smoother operation than ā€œaux batteryā€.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
From my 2020 owners manual page 361

Secondary Battery
Your vehicle may be equipped with a secondary battery used
to power the Stop/Start system and the 12 Volt vehicle electrical
system. The secondary battery is located behind the
wheel well for the front passenger wheel
Thanks for the page number!

I will make it simple:
2020 3.6 no e torque, it has a small battery commonly referred to as ā€œaux batteryā€. Some 2.0 cane with e torque.

2021 3.6 w/ automatic transmission come with e torque, manual transmission does not have e torque (small aux battery)

ā€œaux batteryā€ is the small battery behind the glove box that is used for auto start/stop. These are whats failing in threads all over this forum causing all kinds of issues.

e torque is a 48v liquid cooled battery pack located under the jeep. This controls ESS electronic start/stop as there is no alternator. These vehicles have a belt start generator that provides the initial ( and I mean fraction of a second) turn of the wheels before the engine kicks on. E torque is a much more reliable and smoother operation than ā€œaux batteryā€.
I agree. eTorque ESS and conventional ESS are very different in operational smoothness. I see why many hate ESS but I believe that most of those same people never experienced ESS with the eTorque setup because it is so smooth that you almost forget the engine stopped and started. None of my passengers ever notice the engine stopping and starting unless I tell them about it. There is almost no vibration during start/stop operations and the engine starts up before I have even fully removed my foot from the brake pedal.

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I will make it simple:

I'm trying to nail this down too.

Thanks for simplifying, but I'm in brain fog this morning...
So, let me get this straight...

YES etorque = NO small aux battery
NO etorque = YES small aux battery

Or, to put it even simpler:
"Unless you have eTorque, you have a small auxiliary battery."

Is that right? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired

"Unless you have eTorque, you have a small auxillary battery."

Is that right? Thanks!
YES etorque = NO small aux battery, YES 48v liquid cooled BSG battery
NO etorque = YES small aux battery, NO 48v liquid cooled BSG battery

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to nail this down too.

Thanks for simplifying, but I'm in brain fog this morning...
So, let me get this straight...

"Unless you have eTorque, you have a small auxillary battery."

Is that right? Thanks!
Yes, you are correct.

All JL's have 2 batteries and the automatic stop start feature.

E-torque and BSG (Belt Start Generator) are one in the same, and have a liquid cooled 48v battery pack on the inside of the driver side frame rail forward of the rear axle. A standard 12v starter motor handles all cold starts, but stop/start events are controlled by the generator that sits where the alternator would normally be found.

ESS (Electronic Stop Start) is a completely different system that utilizes a second 12v battery located behind the front passenger inner fender liner. A standard 12v starter motor handles all cold and SS events.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
YES etorque = NO small aux battery, YES 24v liquid cooled BSG battery
NO etorque = YES small aux battery, NO 24v liquid cooled BSG battery
Just to avoid confusing any new readers, etorque/bsg is a 48v system.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Govā€™t Contractor & Gym Rat
Has anyone had to replace their auxiliary battery yet?

I ask because my auxiliary battery needs replacing at the 42 month ownership of my MB G63. The service light came on for replacement a few months ago. Does not/Did not affect start-up or normal driving... Is this similar to the auxiliary battery in the JL?
Iā€™m taking it to the dealer next month for my annual service & before itā€™s winter storage. Canā€™t wait to see my bill, lol...

TY/Cheers,
B