2021 2 Door Rubicon Death Wobble

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I am looking into buying a 2021 2 Door Rubi. Has Jeep actually fixed the death wobble? My 2004 wrangler X had it and it was so frustrating and scary. I see Jeep is claiming they've fixed the issue, however, I have read it's really just a solid front axle deal. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Happy trails
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Please explain the depth wobble your 2004 Wrangler X had. Was it stock?

Where have you seen Jeep claim that they have fixed the death wobble?

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please explain the depth wobble your 2004 Wrangler X had. Was it stock?

Where have you seen Jeep claim that they have fixed the death wobble?
It was stock with the upgraded wheel package. Hit the right bump and the fun would begin, uncontrollable shaking, until you brought the vehicle to a stop. I read in 2019 they deemed a fix. Additionally, the class action lawsuit does not mention 2021, however, it could be because it is brand new.

I have attempted to research 2021 model and have not located any reports of the death wobble. I just started considering getting a Jeep again, the itch never goes away when you're a Jeep guy. Therefore, i have been doing as much research as possible to ensure I am making the right decision. Any feedback is appreciated!

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
The only death wobble stories I have heard of in my years with Jeeps have to me been other than Jeeps fault.

People put junk lift kits on that change the geometry of the suspension and them complain about Jeep and there death wobble. Either that or they go out on the weekends and bash the suspension part all to heck rock crawling and then blame Jeep once they hit the highway for work on Monday and get a bad highway ride.

Don't cheep out on your lift, don't bash your junk on the rocks and you will have zero troubles.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only death wobble stories I have heard of in my years with Jeeps have to me been other than Jeeps fault.

People put junk lift kits on that change the geometry of the suspension and them complain about Jeep and there death wobble. Either that or they go out on the weekends and bash the suspension part all to heck rock crawling and then blame Jeep once they hit the highway for work on Monday and get a bad highway ride.

Don't cheep out on your lift, don't bash your junk on the rocks and you will have zero troubles.
Good advice thanks!

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I see your coming from a MKZ. My wife lady jumped from a MKX to a sport JLU and loves it. Her best friend bought a JLUS and loves it also.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Who let the funny guy in???
He's commenting that way because you really shouldn't be concerned about death wobble in a modern vehicle (forums see troll threads quite a bit). Yes, there were steering problems (which can lead to death wobble), but it's not as widespread as you might believe. I've driven at least ~15 JL's and not a single one had a steering problem in that regard.

Could it happen? Absolutely. Is it likely? Not at all. It won't drive as well as an independent suspension vehicle, but it's more than acceptable.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
He's commenting that way because you really shouldn't be concerned about death wobble in a modern vehicle (forums see troll threads quite a bit). Yes, there were steering problems (which can lead to death wobble), but it's not as widespread as you might believe. I've driven at least ~15 JL's and not a single one had a steering problem in that regard.

Could it happen? Absolutely. Is it likely? Not at all. It won't drive as well as an independent suspension vehicle, but it's more than acceptable.
Its a problem, its a weak design with yield problems, sure not all are bad.

some shimmy, some wobble, some wander all over, and some are ok, some have all of the issues.. I got mine better, but strong winds it could not stay in lane. Thats what a piss poor design does, its weak and luck of yield, age, wind anything can expose it.

Replace it all with steer smarts, get the new steering box.. Sure solutions are coming. Should not need to replace front end on a stock wrangler

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Its a problem, its a weak design with yield problems, sure not all are bad.

some shimmy, some wobble, some wander all over, and some are ok, some have all of the issues.. I got mine better, but strong winds it could not stay in lane. Thats what a piss poor design does, its weak and luck of yield, age, wind anything can expose it.

Replace it all with steer smarts, get the new steering box.. Sure solutions are coming. Should not need to replace front end on a stock wrangler
Sure, but it's still unlikely.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have had a 2 door for 15 months. No death wobble.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
As a data point.

At our office, one of the folks here bought a 2018 JLU sport.
No off road activity.
The Jeep is a DD.
At about 30,000 miles, on original tires and suspension, the death wobble event occurred.
Luckily, the death wobble did not result in an incident.

New tires, and a new steering damper, (maybe ball joints or tie rod ends... will confirm).
The death wobble was fixed.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 2 Door Rubicon Death Wobble Wobble

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the great replies! Definitely not a troll just a guy getting back into the Jeep community trying to find the best avenues. Stoked to be back. Nothing like the Jeep family
Sponsored