2021 2.0 Engine Whine

Kombine

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport
Bought a new 2021 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo (without E-torgue). Mine makes a loud whine when accelerating starting at around 1500 RPM. The engine noise does eventually get louder but its still there. I've watched exhaust videos and can here it in there and I've just assumed its normal but I cant find anywhere with definite information as to what the noise is.

Jeep is completely Stock.

Dont bash me to hard I'm also aware I'm hyper sensitive to engine noise.

Only reason I'm making this post is I finally did lite off-roading and in 4lo the noise is much louder.

Just want technical information as to what the noise is.

Video of my jeep making the noise. the video is also reference for noise in case anyone else has the same concern. I know there are posts about it but none with video of the noise.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Bought a new 2021 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo (without E-torgue). Mine makes a loud whine when accelerating starting at around 1500 RPM. The engine noise does eventually get louder but its still there. I've watched exhaust videos and can here it in there and I've just assumed its normal but I cant find anywhere with definite information as to what the noise is.

Jeep is completely Stock.

Dont bash me to hard I'm also aware I'm hyper sensitive to engine noise.

Only reason I'm making this post is I finally did lite off-roading and in 4lo the noise is much louder.

Just want technical information as to what the noise is.

Video of my jeep making the noise.

LOL, sounds exactly like mine.
It's like a police or fire siren when it varies its pitch like that.
Few times I almost pulled over trying to let the police/fire truck pass but found none.

dirtydawgsrubi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
LOL, sounds exactly like mine.
It's like a police or fire siren when it varies its pitch like that.
Few times I almost pulled over trying to let the police/fire truck pass but found none.
Wow! Is it that loud in the cabin? Mine is not that loud even though it is noticeable with the windows down. My wife asked about it once, but really ours doesn’t appear to be that loud. Be interested in what others think for sure.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I can barely hear what is probably a slight turbo whine with the windows down on mine, can't say I've noticed it in the winter with the windows up and heater on though.

Never heard it make a noise anything like that video though, that almost sounds like something is rubbing or grinding?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Wow! Is it that loud in the cabin? Mine is not that loud even though it is noticeable with the windows down. My wife asked about it once, but really ours doesn’t appear to be that loud. Be interested in what others think for sure.
I have an aFe 'cone' style filter in mine. So probably more airflow than stock.
It's far more noticeable when driving at night though.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
there are others reporting similar with the Eco-Diesel as well. it sounds almost like the Turbo bearings.

OP
OP
Kombine

Kombine

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport
It should prolly be noted that I had it floored coming up the hill in 1st gear in 4l0 which is prolly why it sounds so loud. Video was takin on a phone as well which might make it sound worse. Just took it to a dealership and the foreman says its nothing he would be concerned about because of all the electronics on these new turbos that its prolly an actuator opening up slightly.

I've noticed in some videos that the Alfa Romeo Gulia and stelvio 2.0 also make this noise.

OP
OP
Kombine

Kombine

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport
No It doesn't not sound that loud in the cabin with the windows up. This is completely stock airbox too. I'm sure aftermarket intake and exhaust with bigger tires will start to drown it out a bit.

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, my 2019 sounds pretty much just like that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like turbo whine combined with the diverter valve dumping excess boost into the intake. The high rpms are making boost, but low gearing and momentum are minimizing the actual load on the motor, which would cause boost to be dumped into the intake. I wouldn't be concerned.

So, did you have fun? Looked fun.

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
there are others reporting similar with the Eco-Diesel as well. it sounds almost like the Turbo bearings.
That is a normal turbo charger sound making boost.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I got the JLUS with the 2.0T and it rattles like a diesel but absolutely no whine at ALL, and i mean at all.
If no one told me and i watched this video, i would assume something is surely not the way it should be , too loud in my opinion

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I got the JLUS with the 2.0T and it rattles like a diesel but absolutely no whine at ALL, and i mean at all.
If no one told me and i watched this video, I would assume something is surely not the way it should be , too loud in my opinion
Rattles like a diesel when cold ESPECIALLY!!!! It can be a tad startling when you first hear it in the garage! 🤣

That one in the video is fine there nothing wrong with the way it sounds.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Rattles like a diesel when cold ESPECIALLY!!!! It can be a tad startling when you first hear it in the garage! 🤣

That one in the video is fine there nothing wrong with the way it sounds.
Yes on a cold start it feels like the engine is about to fall apart but just smooths out instantly when warm.
The whine though....I have none of that, i do hear a slight slight whine when i floor it going 40 or so but not a constant one at slow speeds like that.

by the way do all JLs have a small steering high pitched , low whine/squeal when turning standing still? I hear it alot at the mcdonalds drive thru :)

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My 2020 sounds a lot like that....I think it’s normal though some seem louder than others. With the windows down it’s very noticeable....not so much with the windows up.
Sponsored