2020 Wrangler V6's are now 24V VVT Etorque Engines

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
The turbo 2.0L is a great choice unless you're a Luddite, in which case you wouldn't want the Pentastar with eTorque either.
First of all, great word! Though you are seemingly casting a pretty wide net with that statementā€¦anyone that was willing to buy year one or two of a completely (well, mostly) overhauled new model generally wouldnā€™t be thought of in that context.

But hay, opinions are a big part of the forum and you are certainly entitled to post yours; it keeps it real :like: Though Iā€™m not looking forward to what the PHEV Jeepers will say about all of usā€¦

I wanted a manual trans, which I suppose may be considered archaic, but itā€™s fun! For folks like me, there is but one optionā€¦though I have no complaints about the engine. Of course if the diesel ever comes out in a manualā€¦I could be totally in the dark ages! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Can anyone answer if the 3.0 Diesel is also ESS ?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Ok....Thanks. I still have to wade through the numerous pages on the 2020 updates......

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ok....Thanks. I still have to wade through the numerous pages on the 2020 updates......
lol, cue the "ESS will make your glowplugs explode" threads.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
In another thread I was told the extended warranty only covers the gasoline part of any engine, so would not cover the electric part of the eTorque engine. If that's true, I would rather stay with old V6 for now and consider eTorque in a couple of years.
The eTorgue part of the engine is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles under the normal warranty.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
The turbo 2.0L is a great choice unless you're a Luddite, in which case you wouldn't want the Pentastar with eTorque either.

First of all, great word! Though you are seemingly casting a pretty wide net with that statementā€¦anyone that was willing to buy year one or two of a completely (well, mostly) overhauled new model generally wouldnā€™t be thought of in that context.

But hay, opinions are a big part of the forum and you are certainly entitled to post yours; it keeps it real :like: Though Iā€™m not looking forward to what the PHEV Jeepers will say about all of usā€¦

I wanted a manual trans, which I suppose may be considered archaic, but itā€™s fun! For folks like me, there is but one optionā€¦though I have no complaints about the engine. Of course if the diesel ever comes out in a manualā€¦I could be totally in the dark ages! ;)
Just saw your reply, something happened with the quote tag in your post so it didn't ping me with a notification.

I said that the 2.0L is a great choice, and the 3.6L is as well. Neither of them are a bad choice.

The Luddite part is mainly for those vocal people who complain about anything related to the 2.0L while saluting the "Old Faithful 3.6" and ignoring that the 3.6 in the JL is a new design . That newfangled turbocharger technology on the 2.0L? Been in regular use since the 70s. The 48V is being adopted across the industry in the past couple of years, so I mentioned that in my post because the eTorque system was a deciding factor for some people (at least until Jeep announced for 2020 that you can get the 2.0L with or without it).

There's nothing wrong with a manual either. My other car has a manual transmission and I enjoy the excitement and involvement of it, but I don't pretend that a modern DCT isn't the obvious choice for ultimate performance. I didn't look at the manual in the JL because it wasn't available in the configuration I wanted (turbo/Selec-Trac).

I have my reasons for preferring the 2.0L over the 3.6L. It's a great engine with plenty of horsepower and torque throughout the powerband (underrated even if you have seen the back-to-back 2.0L/3.6L dyno runs posted), and I think that a turbocharged powerplant makes a lot of sense for a Wrangler, especially if you are ever up at a high altitude. But if that rumored FCA inline-6 turbocharged engine ever becomes a factory option for the Wrangler? I'd definitely be tempted to get it.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Just saw your reply, something happened with the quote tag in your post so it didn't ping me with a notification.

I said that the 2.0L is a great choice, and the 3.6L is as well. Neither of them are a bad choice.

The Luddite part is mainly for those vocal people who complain about anything related to the 2.0L while saluting the "Old Faithful 3.6" and ignoring that the 3.6 in the JL is a new design . That newfangled turbocharger technology on the 2.0L? Been in regular use since the 70s. The 48V is being adopted across the industry in the past couple of years, so I mentioned that in my post because the eTorque system was a deciding factor for some people (at least until Jeep announced for 2020 that you can get the 2.0L with or without it).

There's nothing wrong with a manual either. My other car has a manual transmission and I enjoy the excitement and involvement of it, but I don't pretend that a modern DCT isn't the obvious choice for ultimate performance. I didn't look at the manual in the JL because it wasn't available in the configuration I wanted (turbo/Selec-Trac).

I have my reasons for preferring the 2.0L over the 3.6L. It's a great engine with plenty of horsepower and torque throughout the powerband (underrated even if you have seen the back-to-back 2.0L/3.6L dyno runs posted), and I think that a turbocharged powerplant makes a lot of sense for a Wrangler, especially if you are ever up at a high altitude. But if that rumored FCA inline-6 turbocharged engine ever becomes a factory option for the Wrangler? I'd definitely be tempted to get it.
Hey @Agent47 , I see where you were coming from now, cool deal. I actually didnā€™t even test drive a Turbo because I wanted a manual, but Iā€™ve read very few complaints about its performance and many more praising. Iā€™ve never driven a JL with an auto for the same reason, but again, everything points to its superiority.

Like you, I like manuals and for me at least, itā€™s fun in a Jeep. Though, it would have been nice if FCA chose a little better gearing selections for everyday driving and not so much for economy numbers. Off road, I have no complaints. Well, accept they donā€™t and apparently wonā€™t be offering manuals on any of the other engine optionsā€¦

A straight 6ā€¦lights out. If done even marginally right it would be smooth with linear power. BMW had great straight 6ā€™s for a long time and the turbo straight 6 engines seemed to have proven themselves well.

That engineā€¦or the diesel would be tempting for sure.

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Having owned a Saturn Vue hybrid for over 10 years I can tell that they work.
I wouldn't recommend one and wouldn't buy another. Once while running up Mt Whitney the Vue just quit moving. Had to make a reve5u turn to get down.
Never trusted it since

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Quick - dumb and likely misinformed - question:

If the 3.6 v6 and the 2.0T will both have the boost assist <1500rpm, why would anyone opt for the 2.0? Thanks

Edit: got it. Itā€™s because itā€™s only offered in the Sahara. Now why wouldnā€™t that come to the rubicon...

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Quick - dumb and likely misinformed - question:

If the 3.6 v6 and the 2.0T will both have the boost assist <1500rpm, why would anyone opt for the 2.0? Thanks

Edit: got it. Itā€™s because itā€™s only offered in the Sahara. Now why wouldnā€™t that come to the rubicon...
You can get BSG/etorque in the Rubicon, just not for 2020.

I chose the 2.0 because I wanted the motor with the most torque.

We had a 3.6L JL in today for some product development and figured we'd run it on the same dyno that we ran our 2.0L on and share the results. Check them out! I broke out the torque and HP so you can see the differences a little clearer. All runs were done on our DynoJet, in 4th gear, both automatic transmissions, and ambient conditions were very close for each.

2.0L VS 3.6L (WTQ & WHP) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red

20v36_all-jpg.jpg

2.0L VS 3.6L (Torque) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red

20v36_torque-jpg.jpg

2.0L VS 3.6L (Horsepower) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red

20v36_power-jpg.jpg

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
You can get BSG/etorque in the Rubicon, just not for 2020.

I chose the 2.0 because I wanted the motor with the most torque.
Very helpful thank you. I am going to wait out the 3.0D.