LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The BSG motors might be more reliable than the non-BSG motors. As far as I know, most motor wear is from accelerating from a stop. If you have the etorque system doing that, the gas motor doesn't have to work as hard!
Of course, your stating that with no actual, or real long term reliability under the belt, so to speak with BSG. The Pentastar engine on its own has proven itself very reliable for an FCA/Chrysler engine on its own right. Adding a BSG, and separate 48v battery system, along with liquid cooling is just asking for some long term issues with my two cents added. Couple that with electronics, and programming also needed.

FWIW I was just reading an article in Motor Trend on the RAM 1500 (among the other two big players), and the RAM's base engine is the 3.6 BSG, and in fact, the ONLY v6 available is the BSG. I propose that this flip to the only BSG in the wrangler is inevitable. I'm only too thankful I have 2018, real/regular V6
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
For a complete Wrangler engine update go to allpar.com website and click on Mopar news and there is a write up titled Jeep 2020 changes.
I have looked all over the website in the "Mopar News" section, going through a fair number of their 713 pages. I cannot find the article "Jeep 2020 changes" that you referred to. :(

rubicali

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota in the past, just started owning a JL :D
In another thread I was told the extended warranty only covers the gasoline part of any engine, so would not cover the electric part of the eTorque engine. If that's true, I would rather stay with old V6 for now and consider eTorque in a couple of years.

Last edited:

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
I have looked all over the website in the "Mopar News" section, going through a fair number of their 713 pages. I cannot find the article "Jeep 2020 changes" that you referred to. :(
After the allpar.com main page shows up, place mouse arrow on 'HOME' at top left of page and underneath the word HOME click on Forums; then page down to News & Rumors and click on Mopar News and you will see the thread 'Jeep-2020 Updates'.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The BSG motors might be more reliable than the non-BSG motors. As far as I know, most motor wear is from accelerating from a stop. If you have the etorque system doing that, the gas motor doesn't have to work as hard!
Most motor wear is from "cold" start up before oil can be pump through the motor....

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
After the allpar.com main page shows up, place mouse arrow on 'HOME' at top left of page and underneath the word HOME click on Forums; then page down to News & Rumors and click on Mopar News and you will see the thread 'Jeep-2020 Updates'.
Got it. Thank you!!!

Looks like several changes for the JL!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Interesting that Jeep figured out they couldn’t convince customers to pay a premium for smaller engine. So in the name of CAFE, they flipped the V6 and I4 pricing.

OP
OP
Btsnyder11

Btsnyder11

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Yeah, that's the only V6 option from what I was told. I wish I would've gotten a 19 now

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Since Chrysler uses the ZF 8 speed transmission, I wouldn't be surprised if the etorque system includes one of the hybrid units:
https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_34944.html

https://www.popularmechanics.com/ca...untless-cars-the-zf-8hp-eight-speed-15855273/

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only things that change are the addition of a belt starter, the extra plumbing, the hybrid transmission, and batteries.

I'm not sure the engine itself changes. It's still the same 3.6?
If you read your links you will see the ZF hybrid places an electric motor in the transmission where the torque convertor is usually placed.

In the case of eTorque they use a belt driven starter/generator (BSG) so it's a different setup.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you read your links you will see the ZF hybrid places an electric motor in the transmission where the torque convertor is usually placed.

In the case of eTorque they use a belt driven starter/generator (BSG) so it's a different setup.
Thanks for that. :(

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
So reading this thread, I see two opposing statements - one says you can ONLY get the gas V6 with the E-Torque option in 2020, and another says the gas V6 by itself (NO E-Torque) is available also. Although I've got a '19 gas V6 without E-Torque on order and supposedly headed out west, I guess I'll have to dig deeper to see which of those statements is correct.
It's of note to me because I have a friend who wants to order a '20 Ram 1500 with the V8 and NO E-Torque, but a salesman told him they have to order the V8's now with the E-Torque. Not my salesman, who I trust, but one from a dealer upstate. What I was wondering was if perhaps there's some big bonus/incentive to order them with the E-Torque, so some are saying that's all you can get...?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So reading this thread, I see two opposing statements - one says you can ONLY get the gas V6 with the E-Torque option in 2020, and another says the gas V6 by itself (NO E-Torque) is available also.
On the Sport and Rubicon, there are no eTorque motors, just 3.6 ESS auto/manual, and 2.0T ESS automatic. On the Sahara, you have 3 options: Manual 3.6 ESS, Automatic 3.6 eTorque, Automatic 2.0T eTorque.

dpowell5523

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The etorque is only available on the Sahara according to Jeep website. The etorque is going away in the 2.0, and the 3.0 diesel is available in 2020.
Sponsored