Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2021 Willys w automatic transmission 2.0 turbo engine. It has 1,500 miles on it. Yesterday I went and started my car in the parking lot. Sat in it for a minute or two figuring out the best way to get to where I was going. Put the Jeep in Drive and it reved up but didnā€™t go, as if it was in neutral. Strange. I thought maybe I had put the parking brake on. Nope. Hit gas again and did not move but it revved up. So I put it back in park and it jerked. Then put it back in drive and it drove just fine. Drove 45 min w no issue but I called the dealership service dept who basically said if no codes went off (they didnā€™t) and they werenā€™t be able to reproduce it, they couldnā€™t fix it. They werenā€™t willing to even LOOK at it to see if they saw anything because they were too busy for me to come in. Very annoying and after reading I think this is a common issue which he must have known about.
Are these concerns still present, RosietheRiveter? If so, send our team a private message so we can discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Wenk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy Sport 4x4
Update FCA & Jeep Cares was zero help. The Dealership located a part and installed it yesterday. I go to pick up the Jeep today.

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Update FCA & Jeep Cares was zero help. The Dealership located a part and installed it yesterday. I go to pick up the Jeep today.
I'm glad you were able to get your rig today! I'm hoping to get mine again soon.

The most important thing... Let's hope it's a permanent fix and doesn't pop up again later.

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Transmission was supposed to have arrived on Friday (12 Feb) via independent carrier. I'm hopeful to be able to pick up the Jeep this week sometime.

Unfortunately, we are about to go through a snowpocalypse and I'm thinking it will be next week before I get her back

Sponsored

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
... And last post/update for anyone who might be interested. I was finally able to pick up the Jeep today. She's running great and drives normally. I don't have any rough starts or stops like a few other people have mentioned in other threads.

The service report said it had a failure of the 6th gear and there was metal in the transmission fluid. They also described the transmission fluid as burnt.

Regardless, I'm glad this is over and I want to thank Steve at the Dealership and Denise at Jeep Cares. I appreciate your help with this.

bastgod

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara Altitude
I have a 2020 Sahara Altitude with 12,000 miles on it. I also have the 2.0 4cyl. turbo engine. I have encountered the same thing as everyone else on this thread, received the "shift into P and then select your desired gear" message, check engine light came on, and shifting into any gear would cause it to blink. Locked up in the middle of the road and unable to move it. There was no indication anything was wrong until this happened at a stop light.

I had it towed to the dealership on Wednesday night, 2/24. As of today, 2/26 they still don't know what's going on with it and don't want to give me a loaner vehicle. I have owned this vehicle for 4 months and have only made 3 payments on it. I didn't purchase a brand new vehicle to be stranded and without transportation. I have opened a case with @JeepCares and I'm currently waiting on a response.

In reading this thread I am not encouraged by the fight that lies in front of me. I have owned several vehicles in the last 35 years and I have never been stranded on the road until now. I love Jeep! I own a 2004 Rubicon and she's never let me down. Unfortunately I can't use her for every day transportation because she is built for mud only and not highway. I'm hoping Jeep makes this right. I love my 2020 but it looks like I may have to look at trading it in for something else based on the comments I am reading on this thread.

Geezpnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I had a similar experience with a 2019 Rubicon 2.0 turbo (eTorque) / automatic with only 261 miles on it. The Rubicon has a manufactured date of July 2019. I bought it 7 days ago on sale.

I missed my freeway exit so I got off to get back on in the other direction. All of a sudden the transmission became very jerky. It felt like it was down sifting while I was accelerating. I was on the freeway on ramp and I pulled over. I stopped the engine and tried to go again using manual shifting. It started to go and when it got to 3rd it started downshifting again and was jerky. The check engine light was on & the D on the shifter was blinking. I pulled over on the freeway shoulder about 50 ft from where there was no longer a shoulder due to contruction. Luckly I didn't end up blocking traffic. I tried going into reverse to back up a little, because I was close to contruction barriers and I wanted to leave more room for the tow truck. The R was blink and it acted like it was in nutral. It would not move. I used the Jeep SOS button to call for a tow. It took about 45 min before they arrived. It is at the dealer to be diagnosed.

I have a 22 year old Ford Expedition with over 200 K miles and it is still going strong. Only had to replace the alternater a couple of time. I normally keep my cars for at least 100K miles and none have ever had a transmission issue in the last 45 years.

This is the my first Jeep. I hope I don't regret the purchase.
Hey there. Just wondering how is your jeep running now? Im in your situation right now with my own. Sucks to say

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hey there. Just wondering how is your jeep running now? Im in your situation right now with my own. Sucks to say
Mine is running like new again. Unfortunately, it took a whole new transmission. Luckily it was covered by the warranty. All total, the shop had it for about 5 weeks. Most of it was waiting for the new transmission to be delivered. I was given a loaner vehicle while I was waiting.

What's going on with yours?

Geezpnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mine is running like new again. Unfortunately, it took a whole new transmission. Luckily it was covered by the warranty. All total, the shop had it for about 5 weeks. Most of it was waiting for the new transmission to be delivered. I was given a loaner vehicle while I was waiting.

What's going on with yours?
So mine had only 344 miles after it decided to misfire and jerk a lot. CEL turned on did everything i could to figure it out and nothing. Took it to the dealer and they said its the valve body defected. Itā€™s been more than a week and they should be ā€œfixing itā€ by the end of this week. But I honestly think thereā€™s something more to that so idk

Sponsored

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So mine had only 344 miles after it decided to misfire and jerk a lot. CEL turned on did everything i could to figure it out and nothing. Took it to the dealer and they said its the valve body defected. Itā€™s been more than a week and they should be ā€œfixing itā€ by the end of this week. But I honestly think thereā€™s something more to that so idk
That's crazy. Mine was running perfect. Went to turn left at an arrow on my way to work when I felt a big thud from under the Jeep. The engine died and it just stopped. Took a minute to restart it then it wouldn't get into gear or move. After turning it off for a few minutes and disconnecting the battery, I was able to get it to start and get it into gear. She was in limp mode with the amber check engine light on.

I went to back it into my work parking space when I found out it didn't have reverse anymore.

After work, a buddy pushed it back from the spot and I was able to get it back in gear after several "P to D" attempts. Went straight to the dealer.

Hearing the 6th gear was fragged was surprising to me. Never heard metal grinding or anything unusual from the Jeep.
I hope you are able to get yours back soon!

vince_rem

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep wrangler JL Rubicon
well all this is starting to scare me now. I bought a 2020 jl Rubicon in June of last year. Only drive about 15 miles a day back and forth to work. as of March 23rd 4,722 miles. Tuesday morning while going to the grocery store the same thing happened to me. entered the driveway of the store and the check engine light came on, the "D" started flashing, and the jeep locked up and would not move. after about 10 minutes of starting and stopping the engine, trying all gears with no luck i shifted the transfer case to neutral and a couple of good Samaritans helped push it out of the drive way. had it towed to the local dealer and 2 days later was told that the transmission would have to be replaced. 2nd, 3rd, and 6th gear clutches were destroyed. WTH!!! Not even 5K miles on it . haven't even taken it off road yet!!!
Dealer says that the transmission is on backorder and no ETA for one to come in. could be weeks before I see my Rubicon again. @JeepCares

Last edited:

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
well all this is starting to scare me now. I bought a 2020 jl Rubicon in June of last year. Only drive about 15 miles a day back and forth to work. as of March 23rd 4,722 miles. Tuesday morning while going to the grocery store the same thing happened to me. entered the driveway of the store and the check engine light came on, the "D" started flashing, and the jeep locked up and would not move. after about 10 minutes of starting and stopping the engine, trying all gears with no luck i shifted the transfer case to neutral and a couple of good Samaritans helped push it out of the drive way. had it towed to the local dealer and 2 days later was told that the transmission would have to be replaced. 2nd, 3rd, and 6th gear clutches were destroyed. WTH!!! Not even 5K miles on it . haven't even taken it off road yet!!!
Dealer says that the transmission is on backorder and no ETA for one to come in. could be weeks before I see my Rubicon again. @JeepCares
Ouch! I can empathize with you about it. The only thing that scares me, I have done a lot of camping and overlanding with mine. Used it for ski trips in the winter. If it would have died during one of those trips when I was without cell service and the weather was terrible, I could have been in some trouble.
I love the Jeep but it has crushed my confidence in her.
Jeep Cares was nice with helping me during the process, but I was still driving a loaner for just over a month. I worry about every hard shift strange bump, or any sound I hear from under the Jeep now.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We're sorry to hear of these concerns, vince_rem! Send our team a private message with more details and we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares