2020 Wrangler Transmission failed

Sravikri

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
2020 Wangler JL Sahara unlimited just 2 1/2 months old (3k miles on it) stopped at light and refused to reverse or move forward. Engine light came up when the issue occurred. When shifting the gear to D (gear D blinks), it says shift to P . I am very upset with the transmission issue on my new Wrangler JL. Jeep was towed by Chrysler Road side assistance (Scheduling road side assistance was quick and easy, but it took 90 minutes to reach me). Jeep is with dealer now, based on the diagnostics code, service dept. said transmission must be replaced. Parts ordered, wait time 3 - 4 days for parts. I have opened a case with Jeep on this issue. The customer service representative said, this is the first time she is hearing about the transmission issue on 2020 Wrangler JL!

Any one experienced similar issue.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon and your JL is running as it should. Tough way to start but sounds like your being proactive w/ getting the case opened. It's never fun being one of the ones having to go through a major part failure, but try to keep optimistic :)

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Best of luck. Hope your Jeep gets fixed quickly. Hopefully they provide you with a loaner vehicle.

Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Same issue on my wife's 20 Willys, 2 months and <3k miles old. Took them about 2 weeks to diagnose and fix, but I think most of that was waiting in the service queue. It was also a big hassle to get a loaner. But she's had it back for over a month with no further issues. Good luck with yours.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2020 Wangler JL Sahara unlimited just 2 1/2 months old (3k miles on it) stopped at light and refused to reverse or move forward. Engine light came up when the issue occurred. When shifting the gear to D (gear D blinks), it says shift to P . I am very upset with the transmission issue on my new Wrangler JL. Jeep was towed by Chrysler Road side assistance (Scheduling road side assistance was quick and easy, but it took 90 minutes to reach me). Jeep is with dealer now, based on the diagnostics code, service dept. said transmission must be replaced. Parts ordered, wait time 3 - 4 days for parts. I have opened a case with Jeep on this issue. The customer service representative said, this is the first time she is hearing about the transmission issue on 2020 Wrangler JL!

Hello,

We sincerely regret to hear of your troubles,If we can be of any assistance while in service, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to help.

Lamar
JeepCares

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

I have 6k miles on my jeep, and all of a sudden won't go into reverse, and has internet issues going forward climbing thru the gears. Took it to dealer and they said it looks like a transmission solenoid is bad, but they are still doing diagnostics should know more in a day or two.

OP
OP
Sravikri

Sravikri

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
@JeepCares

I have 6k miles on my jeep, and all of a sudden won't go into reverse, and has internet issues going forward climbing thru the gears. Took it to dealer and they said it looks like a transmission solenoid is bad, but they are still doing diagnostics should know more in a day or two.

Looks like, I am not the only one who is having transmission related issues. I am hopeful Jeep will look into these issues seriously.

OP
OP
Sravikri

Sravikri

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Best of luck. Hope your Jeep gets fixed quickly. Hopefully they provide you with a loaner vehicle.

I got the loaner after 24 hours. Parts arrived today at dealership. . Will post my experience after getting back my Jeep in couple of days.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares

We're sorry to hear that you have this concern with your Jeep! If you would like additional support while in service, please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We're sorry to hear that you have this concern with your Jeep! If you would like additional support while in service, please send our team a private message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares

well the dealership told me that the solenoid is bad and that the part is on restriction from Mopar and had to submit a written request justifying the need for the parts my 4 month old Jeep that I pay 650 dollars amk th fit has been in the shop for 2 weeks and I donā€™t even know if I will be lucky enough to get the part the dealer needs

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL

I had a similar experience with a 2019 Rubicon 2.0 turbo (eTorque) / automatic with only 261 miles on it. The Rubicon has a manufactured date of July 2019. I bought it 7 days ago on sale.

I missed my freeway exit so I got off to get back on in the other direction. All of a sudden the transmission became very jerky. It felt like it was down sifting while I was accelerating. I was on the freeway on ramp and I pulled over. I stopped the engine and tried to go again using manual shifting. It started to go and when it got to 3rd it started downshifting again and was jerky. The check engine light was on & the D on the shifter was blinking. I pulled over on the freeway shoulder about 50 ft from where there was no longer a shoulder due to contruction. Luckly I didn't end up blocking traffic. I tried going into reverse to back up a little, because I was close to contruction barriers and I wanted to leave more room for the tow truck. The R was blink and it acted like it was in nutral. It would not move. I used the Jeep SOS button to call for a tow. It took about 45 min before they arrived. It is at the dealer to be diagnosed.

I have a 22 year old Ford Expedition with over 200 K miles and it is still going strong. Only had to replace the alternater a couple of time. I normally keep my cars for at least 100K miles and none have ever had a transmission issue in the last 45 years.

This is the my first Jeep. I hope I don't regret the purchase.

Last edited:

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience with a 2019 Rubicon 2.0 turbo (eTorque) / automatic with only 261 miles on it. The Rubicon has a manufactured date of July 2019. I bought it 7 days ago on sale.

I missed my freeway exit so I got off to get back on in the other direction. All of a sudden the transmission became very jerky. It felt like it was down sifting while I was accelerating. I was on the freeway on ramp and I pulled over. I stopped the engine and tried to go again using manual shifting. It started to go and when it got to 3rd it started downshifting again and was jerky. The check engine light was on & the D on the shifter was blinking. I pulled over on the freeway shoulder about 50 ft from where there was no longer a shoulder due to contruction. Luckly I didn't end up blocking traffic. I tried going into reverse to back up a little, because I was close to contruction barriers and I wanted to leave more room for the tow truck. The R was blink and it acted like it was in nutral. It would not move. I used the Jeep SOS button to call for a tow. It took about 45 min before they arrived. It is at the dealer to be diagnosed.

I have a 22 year old Ford Expedition with over 200 K miles and it is still going strong. Only had to replace the alternater a couple of time. I normally keep my cars for at least 100K miles and none have ever had a transmission issue in the last 45 years.

We have had 2 Wranglers and 2 Grand Cherokees, this is the only issue i have had with any of them.. if it make you feel better

OP
OP
Sravikri

Sravikri

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara

Sorry to hear that you had similar problem. Never had any car breakdowns issues for 22 years. I forgot about the SOS button when mine stop. Good reminder to use SOS. My jeep is in the shop for two weeks and will be ready for pick up today. I hope I don't regret my first Jeep experience.
Sponsored