2020 Wrangler Transmission failed

arod2013

First Name
Athena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy Edition
My 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition did the same exact thing to me yesterday. Tomorrow will be two days it’s at the dealership got the call today that it’s more than likely the transmission won’t know anything more until tomorrow. Just had my first oil change done and this happens. Wrangler has always been my dream vehicle but not a good first impression at all.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition did the same exact thing to me yesterday. Tomorrow will be two days it’s at the dealership got the call today that it’s more than likely the transmission won’t know anything more until tomorrow. Just had my first oil change done and this happens. Wrangler has always been my dream vehicle but not a good first impression at all.
Hello Athena, we are sincerely sorry to hear that this happened. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you. We would be happy to offer you our additional support throughout your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

TXJeepJL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
2020 Wangler JL Sahara unlimited just 2 1/2 months old (3k miles on it) stopped at light and refused to reverse or move forward. Engine light came up when the issue occurred. When shifting the gear to D (gear D blinks), it says shift to P . I am very upset with the transmission issue on my new Wrangler JL. Jeep was towed by Chrysler Road side assistance (Scheduling road side assistance was quick and easy, but it took 90 minutes to reach me). Jeep is with dealer now, based on the diagnostics code, service dept. said transmission must be replaced. Parts ordered, wait time 3 - 4 days for parts. I have opened a case with Jeep on this issue. The customer service representative said, this is the first time she is hearing about the transmission issue on 2020 Wrangler JL!

Any one experienced similar issue.
Sitting in my almost 2 yr old Rubicon JL right now waiting on a tow truck, freezing cold. Dash lights flipped out while driving turning off and on randomly, heater switched by itself to defrost on high and the power steering went out. Says shift to P then when I go into gear the “D” or “R” just blinks. Can’t even put it into neutral. My first Jeep experience is not going well at all. @JeepCares reading this forum it sounds like this is a common issue. Not a happy Jeeper at all today.

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2020 Wangler JL Sahara unlimited just 2 1/2 months old (3k miles on it) stopped at light and refused to reverse or move forward. Engine light came up when the issue occurred. When shifting the gear to D (gear D blinks), it says shift to P . I am very upset with the transmission issue on my new Wrangler JL. Jeep was towed by Chrysler Road side assistance (Scheduling road side assistance was quick and easy, but it took 90 minutes to reach me). Jeep is with dealer now, based on the diagnostics code, service dept. said transmission must be replaced. Parts ordered, wait time 3 - 4 days for parts. I have opened a case with Jeep on this issue. The customer service representative said, this is the first time she is hearing about the transmission issue on 2020 Wrangler JL!

Any one experienced similar issue.
I just ran into this exact problem with my 2019 JLU Rubicon with the 2.0. Unfortunately, they don't know when they will be able to replace the transmission. It's really frustrating because it only has 45k miles on her. My confidence in her has been shot and I'm not sure if I can trust her for long trips and such anymore. No warning for it. Just boom and I was stuck.

Wenk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy Sport 4x4
I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy Sport 4X4. It has the 8-speed Automatic Transmission 850RE, coming to a stopped light, took my foot off of the brake it would not move, First thing I though was had something to do with the fuel economy button that turns engine off when stopped. Says shift to P then when I go into gear the “D” or “R” just blinks says put in park. Can’t even put it into neutral. engine light is on. Had it towed to dealer, Telling me it would be 45 days to get a valve body for the transmission. They only have one its in Maine, I said 45 days cant we next day air it. Then he comes back and says he doesn't know if it promised to another customer, MY jeep has 500 miles on it brand new. he then tells me if its not the valve body it might need to replace the transmission. I think this is lemon law. Love the jeep not to sure i want to even try another one at this time so mad, I will be there Tuesday to see what my options will be.

Sponsored

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy Sport 4X4. It has the 8-speed Automatic Transmission 850RE, coming to a stopped light, took my foot off of the brake it would not move, First thing I though was had something to do with the fuel economy button that turns engine off when stopped. Says shift to P then when I go into gear the “D” or “R” just blinks says put in park. Can’t even put it into neutral. engine light is on. Had it towed to dealer, Telling me it would be 45 days to get a valve body for the transmission. They only have one its in Maine, I said 45 days cant we next day air it. Then he comes back and says he doesn't know if it promised to another customer, MY jeep has 500 miles on it brand new. he then tells me if its not the valve body it might need to replace the transmission. I think this is lemon law. Love the jeep not to sure i want to even try another one at this time so mad, I will be there Tuesday to see what my options will be.
I may be the one competing on the part. Mine entered the shop Thursday evening. They told me parts are scarce and I may be without the Jeep for some time.
Scary when I think about all the camping and other stuff I've done where I was nowhere near cellular service.

I'm starting to research other Jeeps now because I don't think I want to stick with the 2.0. I already went through countless electronics issues in the first 6 months. I really don't want to go through anything else with it.

At least the dealership here has been great for me.

Wenk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may be the one competing on the part. Mine entered the shop Thursday evening. They told me parts are scarce and I may be without the Jeep for some time.
Scary when I think about all the camping and other stuff I've done where I was nowhere near cellular service.

I'm starting to research other Jeeps now because I don't think I want to stick with the 2.0. I already went through countless electronics issues in the first 6 months. I really don't want to go through anything else with it.

At least the dealership here has been great for me.
Good Luck with yours engine i have is a 3.6 v6

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
FCA can build these things like crazy but can’t stockpile parts. This is wrong at so many levels...lack of corporate integrity. Things break but on something as generic as a wrangler, parts should be readily available.

Wenk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone had the valve body for the transmission replaced?
Mine has been at the dealership since towed 1/15/2021 and they still cant locate a part.
560 miles on the speedometer this is crazy.

Sponsored

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Willys
Yes mine was replaced and dealer told me same thing...no eta on part arrival. Opened a Jeep Wave customer care case and all of the sudden the valve body was here 1 week later. New valve body was installed and after about 1000 miles was having the same issue so it didn’t fix it. Had to have it towed 4 times due to same issue. Last time it was in shop tech noticed if he wiggled/held transmission wiring harness while starting Jeep he could eliminate the shifter issue. They ordered a new harness but in the mean time I was working on a buy back which went through so never got to see if this actually fixed it. I think there was some electrical issue and not the valve body. I’m sorry to say but you have a long road ahead of you. Hopefully not but that’s what happened to me.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Has anyone had the valve body for the transmission replaced?
Mine has been at the dealership since towed 1/15/2021 and they still cant locate a part.
560 miles on the speedometer this is crazy.
I have, Jan 2020, on our 2020 JLU Willys with 2k miles. We were told repair time was uncertain, opened up case with Jeep, and that seemed to speed things up (and get a loaner that was initially denied). In all, it was exactly 2 weeks between breaking down in the middle of a busy road, and getting the fixed Jeep back. A year later, no other problems encountered.

Azreed2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes mine was replaced and dealer told me same thing...no eta on part arrival. Opened a Jeep Wave customer care case and all of the sudden the valve body was here 1 week later. New valve body was installed and after about 1000 miles was having the same issue so it didn’t fix it. Had to have it towed 4 times due to same issue. Last time it was in shop tech noticed if he wiggled/held transmission wiring harness while starting Jeep he could eliminate the shifter issue. They ordered a new harness but in the mean time I was working on a buy back which went through so never got to see if this actually fixed it. I think there was some electrical issue and not the valve body. I’m sorry to say but you have a long road ahead of you. Hopefully not but that’s what happened to me.
Hopefully the next owner of the Jeep doesn't have any issues.

I'm currently waiting for the dealership to find out if they are allowed to switch out the transmission or if they have to disassemble it to figure out the see exact problem. Normally, I would about blow a gasket on that kind of response, but they don't have any parts in regardless. All around frustrating.

Wenk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did the buy back thing work out? I'm considering a lemon law if it takes more than 30 days.
With all the new computer crap they put in these it makes it hard to work on your own.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just ran into this exact problem with my 2019 JLU Rubicon with the 2.0. Unfortunately, they don't know when they will be able to replace the transmission. It's really frustrating because it only has 45k miles on her. My confidence in her has been shot and I'm not sure if I can trust her for long trips and such anymore. No warning for it. Just boom and I was stuck.
Sorry for our delayed response here, Azreed2000 and Thomas Wenk. Have these concerns been resolved at this time? If not, please separately private message our team with more details so we can discuss how to proceed. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored