Sponsored

2020 Wrangler JLU Willys won’t start owned less than 24 hours

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
So Wednesday June 10 I traded in my 2014 BMW 335i and bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys manual transmission, in less than 24 hours later and only 98 miles on the Jeep it won't start. The alarm won't disarm, the fob won’t unlock the doors and did I say it won't F*ing start. I am so mad and disappointed with Jeep. In the 3 years and 42 thousand miles the BMW never left me stranded. It seems like an electrical issue to me Where my Jeep won’t recognize the key.
Is this a common issue or did I buy a lemon?
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Wrangler JLU Willys won’t start owned less than 24 hours 9413318C-81BC-4A24-88AE-9219D003F23D
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Wrangler JLU Willys won’t start owned less than 24 hours 4DA5056D-A092-44AF-80C1-A1B48663FCB0
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Yeah that’s definitely frustrating. I hope you’re able to get it resolved. Keep us updated.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
You tried touching the metal part of the fob to the button, right? If it's a defective battery in the fob, that trick may work to get it to start. push the button with the key fob. I don't know the specifics, but I remember reading it in the manual.

OP
OP
richwme90

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
You tried touching the metal part of the fob to the button, right? If it's a defective battery in the fob, that trick may work to get it to start. push the button with the key fob. I don't know the specifics, but I remember reading it in the manual.
Yes I tried that and so did the tow truck driver it didn't work

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully just dead batteries. Several forum members had to have their batteries replaced because they weren’t holding a charge.

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
lol... it's not common and you didn't buy a lemon. Sometimes shit just happens. I'm guessing it's just a bad battery.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
When the battery is replaced, you will love your Jeep!

OP
OP
richwme90

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I picked it up last night and they said they traced it down to a bad Aux battery and they replaced it and charged both batteries. When I got it home I wired in my CTEC charger leads and plugged in my charger and set it to AGM. Before I went to bed I checked the charger and it was not fully charged after about 4 hours. This already makes me question the dealers statements, so I guess I will try a different dealer next time if any other issues arise.
Thanks everyone for your responses. Let the modding begin!

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Congrats on the new Jeep. Sorry about the issue. Don’t forget to push each fuse.

OP
OP
richwme90

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So two days after I get it back from Hunter Jeep my Jeep is not fixed and has developed new symptoms. Friday afternoon while sitting in my driveway it powers up on its own. I got home from work get out of my other car and I hear an electrical humming sound. I look at the front of my Jeep and the daytime running lights are on. I go to the drivers door and the ignition is on in the run position dash was lit up, radio and HVAC on. I talked to my wife and daughter and no one has touched the Jeep and the keys are on the hook where I put them at 7:30 pm the night before. I was able to get the keys disarm the alarm and cycle the ignition off and start it. I left it running in my driveway for a few minutes while I moved my 330i out of the garage. While I was pulling the Jeep into the garage it shut off on its own and appeared to reboot.. the dash lights went dark then came back to life tach and speedometer go to max and return to zero. I turned the Jeep back off and was able to restart it and pull it back in the garage the rest of the way. I placed it on my CTEC charger and called a different dealer to try and get it repaired. The only time this Jeep goes crazy is when it’s outside in the heat when the alarm is enabled. While it was in my garage for a day and a half it was fine.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The first day of Jeep ownership is the day you go "shit... now what?"... for some it comes earlier than for others. What doesn't kill you makes you a stronger mechanic.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Well, Jeep turning itself on would explain why you had a dead battery. That's strange though. Is your alarm factory, dealer installed, or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, my guess would be the installer messed up the wiring.

OP
OP
richwme90

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, Jeep turning itself on would explain why you had a dead battery. That's strange though. Is your alarm factory, dealer installed, or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, my guess would be the installer messed up the wiring.
Factory alarm.
Sponsored