Sponsored

2020 Wrangler JL Recall - lower control arm bracket and weld

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
FCA/Jeep owns the quality of all of their purchased parts. We all bought a Jeep, not 30,000 individual parts from 300 suppliers. Sure Dana should get a bad rap too if their fault. All OEMs have supplier quality programs that, if done correctly, prevent a lot of the stupid stuff we see on the JLs. A lot of this is because of people at FCA going through the motions of a real job without care or commitment. I know because I have been there having worked for both good and bad companies in the automotive industry for over 20 years.
FCA is owning up and paying up. Seems many folks want blood, fingers chopped off and heads to roll.
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
FCA is owning up and paying up. Seems many folks want blood, fingers chopped off and heads to roll.
Agreed. The main thing is they cover it and dealers quit saying, "It's a Jeep thing." That slogan wasn't meant to cover poor design and execution. I think with the JL there were many missed opportunities to make a great AND quality vehicle starting with their DFMEA/PFMEA activities. I mean, for those JLs where everything works correctly as mine did, they are great vehicles. In my case, and for the first time in my "multiple Jeep" ownership, I got tired of inspecting for things like leaks and such and/or waiting for something to break so I could let it set for weeks at the dealer. I went back to a 4Runner.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Agreed. The main thing is they cover it and dealers quit saying, "It's a Jeep thing." That slogan wasn't meant to cover poor design and execution. I think with the JL there were many missed opportunities to make a great AND quality vehicle starting with their DFMEA/PFMEA activities. I mean, for those JLs where everything works correctly as mine did, they are great vehicles. In my case, and for the first time in my "multiple Jeep" ownership, I got tired of inspecting for things like leaks and such and/or waiting for something to break so I could let it set for weeks at the dealer. I went back to a 4Runner.
I agree, my JLR works correctly also and one of these days something is going to break. Most likely after the 36 mon./3 yr. warranty is up. Glad you got what you wanted, 4Runners are reliable. I've owned 7 Toyota's over the years as well as 5 Jeeps. Never really was what I'd call a Toyota enthusiast, I just left them stock drove the hell out of them. But I've enjoyed my Jeeps more, and it's why I got a JLR. That's the "it's a Jeep Thing". I kinda think you never got the "Jeep Thing" and is why you say dealers say it. I've never before heard it reported that dealers use it as an excuse for problems. Must be because I never go to the dealers for service and have needed warranty repairs. I've always thought, "its a Jeep Thing" was modifying and stuff like winter with the doors and top off. Anyway, I feel you. Enjoy your "Oh what a feeling" Toyota. Toyota forums probably seem slow and boring compared to this JL wrangler forum. :jk::flag:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Maybe. But thatā€™s not what I want.

I want FCA and their dealers to get on the same page. And, if they canā€™t, FCA should take the badge away. After 3 years, 6 quarts anyone?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Sounds like a good assumption that axle bracket welds where not scrutinized. A lot of the robot welds are crap do to missing the joint location. Seems not just on axles but frames too.

David, This has me stymied, what badge and what does 3 years, 6 quarts anyone, mean.
Badge= the dealership should not be allowed to continue to sell FCA products. ā€œRemove the badgeā€ = stop allowing the dealer to sell your products.
6 quarters = 6 quarters of oil. It has been reported here that dealers were doing oil changes on JLs for 3 years and putting 6 quarts into the 3.6L engine. FCA documentation CLEARLY showed 5 Quarts. Dealers didnā€™t read, didnā€™t care and/or didnā€™t train employees. Again FCA should be ashamed that dealers canā€™t do a ā€œfreeā€ oil change right. Yet, what action did they take against those dealers who simply were too stupid to check the documentation?

FCAā€™s customer engagement sucks. They just donā€™t care. And It is evidenced by the fact that they tolerate this dealer nonsense.

Last edited:

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I agree, my JLR works correctly also and one of these days something is going to break. Most likely after the 36 mon./3 yr. warranty is up. Glad you got what you wanted, 4Runners are reliable. I've owned 7 Toyota's over the years as well as 5 Jeeps. Never really was what I'd call a Toyota enthusiast, I just left them stock drove the hell out of them. But I've enjoyed my Jeeps more, and it's why I got a JLR. That's the "it's a Jeep Thing". I kinda think you never got the "Jeep Thing" and is why you say dealers say it. I've never before heard it reported that dealers use it as an excuse for problems. Must be because I never go to the dealers for service and have needed warranty repairs. I've always thought, "its a Jeep Thing" was modifying and stuff like winter with the doors and top off. Anyway, I feel you. Enjoy your "Oh what a feeling" Toyota. Toyota forums probably seem slow and boring compared to this JL wrangler forum. :jk::flag:
I totally understand the "it's a Jeep thing" for what it really means. It is as you describe. I love Jeeps and have since my first XJ back in 1993. I was using the phrase a bit out of context as people are taking the JLs back in for steering issues, death wobble, etc. and getting told that's how Jeeps are. Those of us that have had multiple Jeeps and put lots of miles on them know that isn't true. My JLUR was my 8th Jeep and 4th Wrangler (2 TJs and JKUR before). All 8 Jeeps were rock-solid reliable and great on road as well as off. I mean the '20 Rubicon only got 9000 miles of use but it was great. My favorite Jeep was my '91 Grand Wagoneer. That is what I have been trying to get back to. That's why I went with a 4dr Rubicon with hardtop, leather, etc.

But, this time around it didn't do it for me. My '10 4Runner Trail that I've had for the past 5 yrs may have been what ruined "the Jeep thing" for me this time around though. I really enjoyed the old 4Runner but thought I wanted and did buy my "dream" Jeep... color, options, $59k sticker, etc. I sold the 4R after I bought the Rubicon back in September. I immediately regretted it and hoped I would like the Rubi like I had all of my others. It just didn't work out that way. My tastes have changed and the new 4Runner matches my current needs and driving style better. It makes a better "Grand Wagoneer" than the Rubicon did. It will do most of what the stock Rubicon will do which is all that matters to me as I have never been one to get into heavy mods. Many things about the new JL is better than the new 4Runner and I miss those parts... but they are the same things that seem to break for a lot of people.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I keep checking but mine says no recall. I understand they were sending notices out on March 14? Did anybody get a notice for a recall yet?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I keep checking but mine says no recall. I understand they were sending notices out on March 14? Did anybody get a notice for a recall yet?
Hey, Jennalee. Owner letters for this were sent in February. Check recalls.mopar.com to see if yours is included. It is likely that since recalls are VIN specific, yours may not be included. I hope this helps.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

greyt4us

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I received this notice from GasBuddy. Not sure why it will take until March 14 for the recall to begin.
- - - - -
Recalls - 1 Found

SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

The improper weld may allow the lower control arm to separate from the axle which can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V042000
Components: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2020 Jeep Wrangler vehicles. The left side lower control arm bracket and weld may not be correctly positioned.

Remedy
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front axles, replacing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 14, 2020. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W01.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

More details via Allpar:

Around 3,005 U.S. 2020 Wranglers are being recalled because the lower control arm bracket and weld might not be in exactly the right spot (up to 12 mm off), bringing the risk of lower control arm separation and loss of steering.

As one might expect, the recall is international in scope. Only around 10% of Wranglers built during the suspect period (July 22 to October 26, 2019) are affected.

The problem was not human error or engineering, but a broken welding fixture used by supplier Dana. The investigation started on October 15, when FCA Quality investigated four front axles with separated left-front lower control arm brackets sent in after warranty repairs. Later that month, Dana verified the problem: because the machine might have held the control arm in the wrong place, the weld may not have penetrated and held the axle tube to the bracket.

There have been five warranty claims and no injuries related to this issue, according to FCA. The axles can be part numbers 68294136AJ, 68294135AJ, 68294375AJ, or 68294356AJ. Owners who paid for work themselves can get reimbursed; otherwise, if the dealer finds the problem, they will get a new front axle.
Mine is a 2018. Look at this and theyā€™re denying warranty because I did a lift and found it.

201BDDCF-C94B-430F-8FBA-591899273CB9.jpeg

173AC779-666C-4BA6-A0F7-B5B6AEA4B647.jpeg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Mine is a 2018. Look at this and theyā€™re denying warranty because I did a lift and found it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Wrangler JL Recall - lower control arm bracket and weld 173AC779-666C-4BA6-A0F7-B5B6AEA4B647

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Wrangler JL Recall - lower control arm bracket and weld 173AC779-666C-4BA6-A0F7-B5B6AEA4B647

That is total BS! Ask to see the General Manager of the dealership, show him the pictures (no way in hell they can tag this to a lift) and inform him that if they do not repair those welds under warranty you will send pictures along with all documentation of them denying the claim, to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, FCA corporate headquarters and any other government automotive safety groups that may exist...Would be surprised if this approach did not get results.
Sponsored