Sponsored

2020 Wrangler JL Recall - lower control arm bracket and weld

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I received this notice from GasBuddy. Not sure why it will take until March 14 for the recall to begin.
- - - - -
Recalls - 1 Found

SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

The improper weld may allow the lower control arm to separate from the axle which can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V042000
Components: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2020 Jeep Wrangler vehicles. The left side lower control arm bracket and weld may not be correctly positioned.

Remedy
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front axles, replacing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 14, 2020. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is W01.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

More details via Allpar:

Around 3,005 U.S. 2020 Wranglers are being recalled because the lower control arm bracket and weld might not be in exactly the right spot (up to 12 mm off), bringing the risk of lower control arm separation and loss of steering.

As one might expect, the recall is international in scope. Only around 10% of Wranglers built during the suspect period (July 22 to October 26, 2019) are affected.

The problem was not human error or engineering, but a broken welding fixture used by supplier Dana. The investigation started on October 15, when FCA Quality investigated four front axles with separated left-front lower control arm brackets sent in after warranty repairs. Later that month, Dana verified the problem: because the machine might have held the control arm in the wrong place, the weld may not have penetrated and held the axle tube to the bracket.

There have been five warranty claims and no injuries related to this issue, according to FCA. The axles can be part numbers 68294136AJ, 68294135AJ, 68294375AJ, or 68294356AJ. Owners who paid for work themselves can get reimbursed; otherwise, if the dealer finds the problem, they will get a new front axle.
Sponsored

Guido

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Hey...

Yes I received the same message this morning on the APP as well no idea what it is about. I did check the Uconnect App don't see anything there either so no idea what its about..

Guido

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Someone posted a thread recently where their lower rear control arm bracket sheared off. It looked like a weak bracket/mis aligned weld. I wonder if this has to do with that? I forget which sub forum I saw it in. They took it to the dealer and the dealer did a visual inspection and said everything was all good and didn’t find anything wrong with the Jeep. It wasn’t until the owner got underneath and noticed the bracket completely off that they took it back.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
sounds like a % of axles built in summer 2019 have an issue with the bracket weld. Sounds like dana has $hitty maintenance on there equipment and even worse inspection of the finished product.

I have a rubicon built in Sept 2019, wondering if the M210 front axles were part of it or the std axle on the sports/Sahara.

Last edited:

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Someone posted a thread recently where their lower rear control arm bracket sheared off. It looked like a weak bracket/mis aligned weld. I wonder if this has to do with that? I forget which sub forum I saw it in. They took it to the dealer and the dealer did a visual inspection and said everything was all good and didn’t find anything wrong with the Jeep. It wasn’t until the owner got underneath and noticed the bracket completely off that they took it back.
That was a rear lower control arm and on the frame end.

Scary no matter which spot breaks.....

Last edited:

Sponsored

20Rubi

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon ordered
I wonder if this is why I feel like my 20 rubicon seems to sit lower on the front right side and makes a popping noise over some bumps?

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
sounds like a % of axles built in summer 2020 have an issue with the bracket weld. Sounds like dana has $hitty maintenance on there equipment and even worse inspection of the finished product.

I have a rubicon built in Sept 2020, wondering if the M210 front axles were part of it or the std axle on the sports/Sahara.
Do you not mean 2019?

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wonder if this is why I feel like my 20 rubicon seems to sit lower on the front right side and makes a popping noise over some bumps?
Although we cannot speculate as to why you would be experiencing this, 20Rubi, we do recommend bringing your Jeep to the attention of a dealer for diagnosis. If you would like our support during that process, please send us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
NHTSB website has the details.

front axle
July 22-oct 26, 2019 is the suspect range
Estimate 3,005 vehicles of which 10% may be effected.

no word on which axle type or which VINs. I would expect that over the next few weeks.

Rishsd

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
NHTSB website has the details.

front axle
July 22-oct 26, 2019 is the suspect range
Estimate 3,005 vehicles of which 10% may be effected.

no word on which axle type or which VINs. I would expect that over the next few weeks.
The axles can be part numbers 68294136AJ, 68294135AJ, 68294375AJ, or 68294356AJ. There is a sticker on the passenger side of the axle on the top. This will tell you the axle number. 68294136AJ is a D35

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Mine was built in August 2019, you can see my post in here with picture that my 2020 Rubicon has this issue for sure. I only checked the one bracket, I'm sure others are also off.
I am a newbie and can’t see if what you are showing is a problem or not. Hopefully not.

can I ask a favor?

I went to the NHTSB website and typed in my VIN. Zero recalls for my VIN (despite being manufactured in the date range— 6 days prior to the October cut off). On the NHTSB site, there is a document on the recall from FCA to dealers that say “all impacted VINs are live and searchable.....”. I would think that if the database is available internally, it is also available to NHTSB. But, it might not be loaded yet?

favor: could you do a quick search on your VIN on NHTSB site and see if it says that you are subject to the recall and then post back here?
Sponsored