Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t look like the magnesium tailgate melted as seen in this other photo. Tire is still intact as well.

The only fact available is that there was a fire. Everything else is purely speculation at this point. Hopefully there is more follow up on it though.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Wrangler Engine Catches Fire, Vehicle Burns 1607626965525

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
BTW, I am not saying the tailgate ignited the fire.

But I wouldn’t use FCA’s decision making as a template for safety; their main objective is to save a buck —and weight— wherever they can.

In its natural form, magnesium is classified as highly flammable.

According to the Wiki:

“Magnesium is highly flammable, especially when powdered or shaved into thin strips, though it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk. Flame temperatures of magnesium and magnesium alloys can reach 3,100 °C (5,610 °F),[16]although flame height above the burning metal is usually less than 300 mm (12 in).[17] Once ignited, such fires are difficult to extinguish, because combustion continues in nitrogen (forming magnesium nitride), carbon dioxide (forming magnesium oxide and carbon), and water (forming magnesium oxide and hydrogen, which also combusts due to heat in the presence of additional oxygen). This property was used in incendiary weapons during the firebombing of cities in World War II, where the only practical civil defense was to smother a burning flare under dry sand to exclude atmosphere from the combustion.”

Magnesium as a solid part or a block is very difficult to burn (not impossible). The shavings or powder created during machining a magnesium part are very dangerous so is molten magnesium as you have noted from the Wiki. However, as a typical part for a car or plane, they do not pose risk. They are actually more expensive to use than aliminum and are used primarily where you need weight combined with strength. The uses of maganisum in weapons is as described in your note is in the powder form not as a solid. The gasoline in your tank poses a bigger risk than a magnesium part. For that matter, a human is the biggest risk to the vehicle. Eliminate the pesky humans and we don't have any issues :)

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this is fishy. doors and the hood gone completely is a little weird. the top i don't worry about as it could be a soft top. doors are aluminum and would puddle up in and around the jeep. hood is cheap steel that would have also just buckled but been still existing. interesting. i doubt we will ever find out.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
this is fishy. doors and the hood gone completely is a little weird. the top i don't worry about as it could be a soft top. doors are aluminum and would puddle up in and around the jeep. hood is cheap steel that would have also just buckled but been still existing. interesting. i doubt we will ever find out.
JL's hood is aluminum, too.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
New poster child for having a fire extinguisher onboard...may have been able to save it.
With the 392 Rubicon now available... would you want to? lol

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
With the 392 Rubicon now available... would you want to? lol
Good point...I guess that qualifies as a good excuse to buy a new one...;)

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
It might be because it’s a 2 door. Should’ve bought a 4 door! :CWL:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Probably an etorque battery fire. :devil:
I’m going to buy a second eTorque with GAP insurance and double my chances of one burning down so the wife’s on board with a 392. :)
Sponsored