Sponsored

Edge Hawk

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD on order, 2014 JKUR & 1992 M101 CND 2 trailer
At the expense of sounding like a pyromaniac, I'm saying no on this. MAYBE an engine fire would've gotten hot enough to completely melt a hood. (I doubt it, but let's just say it could happen as a hypothetical).

But fires don't burn at uniform temperatures, especially away from their fuel source. If it was an engine fire, no way it would've been hot enough to melt the rear doors and rear fenders, which are 100% gone.

I look at all the pieces which are missing: fenders, hood, roof, doors. They all have significant value on the secondary market. I stand by my theory that this is insurance fraud.
Ever see the video of Casey "Coyote Works" jeep fire?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, this is death wobble!

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I look at all the pieces which are missing: fenders, hood, roof, doors. They all have significant value on the secondary market.

I stand by my theory that this is insurance fraud.
The thought that this was fraud came to mind, but I discounted it pretty quickly.

The trooper was dispatched at 10:20AM, on a weekday morning, in a Michigan December. The vehicle fire occurred on the M-115, a State highway.

All of the foregoing would seem to discount the idea (i.e., practicality) of driving a literally stripped Jeep to a point where it could be discreetly set ablaze. And if the allegedly missing bodywork was removed on the roadside, at the location where the fire was then allegedly lit? That's an even more unlikely scenario.

With respect to the foregoing, the driver's claim that he pulled over after perceiving an engine fire does pass at least the initial sniff test.

The article is light on detail, as they usually are. I'll talk to my neighbor, an experienced LT in our local VFD, and get his take on the methods used and the results seen when attending to a severe vehicle fire.

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)
New poster child for having a fire extinguisher onboard...may have been able to save it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation