Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
If you look close at the top you will see the fiberglass sheets from the top laying on the front roll bars and the rear beside the tire. The fact the tire was spared on the rear points to an origin up front. I would bet it was a Sahara because I think I see running boards.
Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Didn't Jeep have a few that spontaneously combusted at a storage lot in 2018?

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
At the expense of sounding like a pyromaniac, I'm saying no on this. MAYBE an engine fire would've gotten hot enough to completely melt a hood. (I doubt it, but let's just say it could happen as a hypothetical).

But fires don't burn at uniform temperatures, especially away from their fuel source. If it was an engine fire, no way it would've been hot enough to melt the rear doors and rear fenders, which are 100% gone.

I look at all the pieces which are missing: fenders, hood, roof, doors. They all have significant value on the secondary market. I stand by my theory that this is insurance fraud.
this.

Reactions: VNT
OP
OP

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Note you're not looking at a photo immediately after the flames stopped, you're looking at photos after the fire department got done with it.

They very likely removed the hood, among other things.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Brian, would you please clarify? Are you saying the manual transmission had something to do with this or is "clutch fire" a phrase of excitement noting an insurance fire through which the check for totaling the rig serves as the down payment for a rubi? ;)
the early model 6speeds like mine the pressure plates where breaking apart and going through the bell housing which in turn had a high chance of hitting the trans cooling lines. once that happend the oil hit the exhaust piping catching fire. there is a " precautionary" tsb/ recall for the pressure plate/ clutch system. I am not saying that happened to this posted jeep as i do not know if it was a auto or manual though

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
the early model 6speeds like mine the pressure plates where breaking apart and going through the bell housing which in turn had a high chance of hitting the trans cooling lines. once that happend the oil hit the exhaust piping catching fire. there is a " precautionary" tsb/ recall for the pressure plate/ clutch system. I am not saying that happened to this posted jeep as i do not know if it was a auto or manual though
The 6 speed has a transmission cooler? My understanding was the fuel lines were getting severed.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

The 6 speed has a transmission cooler? My understanding was the fuel lines were getting severed.
ill have to dbl check my statment on the cooling lines. here is the W12 'statment" number

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate on about 36,750 of the above vehicles may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. In some circumstances, the operator may smell a burnt clutch odor, or have excessive or abnormal clutch pedal travel prior to the failure. A vehicle fire can result in occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris. Either of these two conditions can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning. "

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Reactions: VNT

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
ill have to dbl check my statment on the cooling lines. here is the W12 'statment" number

"In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate on about 36,750 of the above vehicles may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. In some circumstances, the operator may smell a burnt clutch odor, or have excessive or abnormal clutch pedal travel prior to the failure. A vehicle fire can result in occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris. Either of these two conditions can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning. "
Thanks, I've read the notice. The question is what the "ignition sources" are. My understanding was it was a fuel line, although I can't recall why. I'm not sure what else it could be, as I didn't think the 6MT had a cooler and the only other fluid lines running aft of the flywheel to my knowledge (in the whole vehicle) would be fuel line(s), brake line(s) and a washer fluid line.
Sponsored