Roostre

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-dr, 1949 Willy’s, 1994 F-350
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to do aftermarket rear bumper don’t worry about a tow kit. Just get a bumper that has it built in.
Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
The Willys Sport sounds like a good package for you. to answer your questions:
1. if u need tube steps, get them. Otherwise stay with the rock rails which are better for offroad protection.
2. I would go aftermarket on hardtop headliner. You save money upfront and may find that you don’t need it. Then, If you do add it, aftermarket is less $$
3. Fuel filler door does not lock
4.Best bet for a steel bumper would be buy a takeoff from a rubicon. They go for sale sometimes on the forums.
5.Cruise control is standard on all wranglers. The base willys sport has just the base radio with small screen

For ordering, most dealers will order for you, you can typically get a little better deal on in stock invrntory, but ordering works well. I ordered one of my prior jeeps.

One problem you might have is availability of manual JLs after the recall. Not sure if you can order one now.

Zorba

Good info, and I'm not in any hurry. The "Tow kit" includes the aux switches, which I do want or something like them. Good to hear about ordering - most dealers of other vehicles will fight you tooth and nail to NOT order. Then fight with you over the manual transmission. I have seldom had a "good experience" with car dealers, they want to sell what they have which is what most people apparently want, not what *I* want.

I would delete the infotainment in a heartbeat if I could.

I'm thinking of the headliner because its HOT here in Florida. I'm surprised that the hard top isn't available in white for that reason. *shrug* Not a deal killer by any means.

What's the situation regarding a diesel engine? I'd much rather have one, if its a good one. Diesels are great, but bad diesels are really bad. Lifetime diesel owner here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Good info, and I'm not in any hurry. The "Tow kit" includes the aux switches, which I do want or something like them. Good to hear about ordering - most dealers of other vehicles will fight you tooth and nail to NOT order. Then fight with you over the manual transmission. I have seldom had a "good experience" with car dealers, they want to sell what they have which is what most people apparently want, not what *I* want.

I would delete the infotainment in a heartbeat if I could.

I'm thinking of the headliner because its HOT here in Florida. I'm surprised that the hard top isn't available in white for that reason. *shrug* Not a deal killer by any means.

What's the situation regarding a diesel engine? I'd much rather have one, if its a good one. Diesels are great, but bad diesels are really bad. Lifetime diesel owner here.
Can’t get a manual transmission or a 2-door with a diesel. Also I believe that they have suspended production of Jeeps with manual transmission (separate from the factory shutdown due to Covid-19) until they figure out the fix for the recall on current manual transmissions (or get the parts in stock).

The small 5” Uconnect 3 system is pretty basic and you won’t lose much by removing it if you really want.

You can get a Mopar locking gas cap if you want to replace the standard one. There is a bit of a process to key it to your main key but there are plenty of videos on how to do it. I believe that it costs about $90. Your dealer may even be willing to do it for you. Ditto with the hood lock though it costs more.

Zorba

Oh, of course. That is annoying as heck. Oh well, then if I do this, I'll stick with the V6.

Sponsored

Zorba

Yet another stupid question - 2 actually:

1) Do all Wranglers have the electric FAD, or just the Rubi?

2) Does the base infotainment (Uconnect 3) have a cell phone MODEM? In other words, can the vehicle "phone home"? NOT a desirable feature - can it be disabled without consequence?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Yet another stupid question - 2 actually:

1) Do all Wranglers have the electric FAD, or just the Rubi?

2) Does the base infotainment (Uconnect 3) have a cell phone MODEM? In other words, can the vehicle "phone home"? NOT a desirable feature - can it be disabled without consequence?
2) The base Uconnect 3 (current version) does not have an integrated wireless chipset, I.e. no “phone home”. I read somewhere about a new version of the Uconnect 3 that would have some more features so you might want to see what will be shipping by the time you order.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
@Zorba If you get the side steps they will take off the rock rails. I’m short so I really needed the side steps. Got the cheapest ones, think they were $350 and I think they’re great!

Zorba

2) The base Uconnect 3 (current version) does not have an integrated wireless chipset, I.e. no “phone home”. I read somewhere about a new version of the Uconnect 3 that would have some more features so you might want to see what will be shipping by the time you order.
That's good to know, I absolutely refuse to own a "connected" vehicle of any kind. But a pair of wire cutters can fix that problem right quick!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I took possession of my Willys Sport last week. The Sarge Green is hard to get an accurate representation of the true color through images, so I shot a short video. Also note the unique front bumper included with this package. Note it also included red front shocks which I was not expecting. (I did know it would have red Rubi rear shocks) Let me know what you all think!!??

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Can anyone confirm that the only differences between the Willys and the Willys Sport are: power windows/locks, headlights, a/c standard vs option, access to options and leather wrapped steering wheel? If there other differences, please expand. Thano’s.

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Can anyone confirm that the only differences between the Willys and the Willys Sport are: power windows/locks, headlights, a/c standard vs option, access to options and leather wrapped steering wheel? If there other differences, please expand. Thano’s.
I do not know what access to options is. The dash does say Wrangler Sport when you start the vehicle. All the rest of your post looks correct with the exception of the front bumper. The Willys Sport does have the Sahara front bumper with gloss black insert surrounding the fog lights. The Willys non-sport has the sport bumper with no insert color around the fog lights. LMK if you need me to check on anything else.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
I took possession of my Willys Sport last week. The Sarge Green is hard to get an accurate representation of the true color through images, so I shot a short video. Also note the unique front bumper included with this package. Note it also included red front shocks which I was not expecting. (I did know it would have red Rubi rear shocks) Let me know what you all think!!??
Looks great!. Grab some black lug nuts and locks. You'll be amazed at the difference it will make. First thing i did to my 2020 Willy's in Granite crystal.
Sponsored