First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Looking for advice on upgrading the under armor of a 2020 Jeep JLU Willys 3.6.

Currently stock height and stock 32” tires. Not a huge rock crawler, but I regularly tackle rocky, rutted trails, and have definitely had scrapes and crunches, but since this is my daily driver, and I have to deal with some urban low height restrictions that preclude doing a lift. (Bigger tires are coming eventually.)

Anyone in a similar situation? Looking to add protection to most Of the vulnerable spots.
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I have a 2.5” lift and full skids. They are all smashed scratched and dented. Glad I installed them right from the beginning.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Hi all,

Looking for advice on upgrading the under armor of a 2020 Jeep JLU Willys 3.6.

Currently stock height and stock 32” tires. Not a huge rock crawler, but I regularly tackle rocky, rutted trails, and have definitely had scrapes and crunches, but since this is my daily driver, and I have to deal with some urban low height restrictions that preclude doing a lift. (Bigger tires are coming eventually.)

Anyone in a similar situation? Looking to add protection to most Of the vulnerable spots.
There's a lot of fancy and expensive full options out there but honestly the Evo Protek skids have worked wonders for me and the group I go wheeling with. They cover the engine oil pan, transmission, and exhaust loop area and honestly that's all you need - the rest of the underside IMO is well protected with the factory skids. We hit all of the challenging SoCal trails countless times with these and drag them over rocks nearly every weekend in one way or another. Double check compatibility with etorque but these are what we have: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...PgO6rEuK390SbqmBCIAifer8OCslRphBoCdiwQAvD_BwE

For what it's worth, I daily my JLR as well in SoCal and I fit in pretty much all the parking garages in the city and my rig sits at 6'3"-6'4" ish. The lowest garage I've found is 6'6" in Hollywood that I had to park in for a shoot but I didn't hit the height sign going in and the first few levels had higher ceilings than the 6'6" upper floors. I have a 2.5" RK lift and 35" tires. If I were to toss on a roof rack or something though it'd be out of the question for many urban parking situations.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have a 2.5” lift and full skids. They are all smashed scratched and dented. Glad I installed them right from the beginning.
I made my own skids, I wanted ones that were a bit wider than most of the ones I've seen to protect the AT cooler lines, and I could do them the way I wanted for about a third of what they cost from vendors.
I would consider the oil/transmission pan, & the exhaust loop as a minimum. That exhaust loop is pretty expensive to replace and for whatever reason Jeep engineers made it low & exposed :(
Here's my DIY just for reference.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2dr-v6-diy-skid-plate-set.78696/

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I made my own skids, I wanted ones that were a bit wider than most of the ones I've seen to protect the AT cooler lines, and I could do them the way I wanted for about a third of what they cost from vendors.
I would consider the oil/transmission pan, & the exhaust loop as a minimum. That exhaust loop is pretty expensive to replace and for whatever reason Jeep engineers made it low & exposed :(
Here's my DIY just for reference.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2dr-v6-diy-skid-plate-set.78696/
Impressive. I was proud of myself for bolting mine on.

Id be dangerous if I had your skills

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
I have a new Artec aluminum system in Burbank for sale.....
Sponsored