Sponsored

2020 Willys JL Exorcist- Wont start, massive system warnings lights flashing and wipers turning on

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
Before anyone barks, I’ve searched the forums and I’m concerned I can’t find anything quite this similar. This morning I started my 2020 Willys JL Sport (6 cyl auto, bare bones—tow package w/ Aux and AC options only).
When I pushed the button everything lit and just started flashing—gauges flipping up and down, dash message says “No Bus”, “Airbag Failure” and more, the engine kept trying to restart over and over like every 7 seconds on it’s own as If I was cranking it and stopping. Interior lights flashing on and off, headlights, even my wipers were going. NONE of these were in an on state. Vehicle is garaged. I bought new and it has 4K miles. I was surprised to find nothing in the forums.

After about 20 minutes of notifying my staff I would be late, I went out and it started and seems fine except the amber check engine light is on. On the way home this evening they started flashing again for a second but it stopped. It’s now in my garage until my vaca next week when I think it’s headed back to the dealer.

Checked fuses- all are seated (read that in a similar thread.)

I tried to include the video but 4 mb must be too big... Anyone experience anything like this?
Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Willys JL Exorcist- Wont start, massive system warnings lights flashing and wipers turning on 72ADA52E-AC53-4FA2-8ED4-2C626A813406
Sponsored

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Same happened to me. Took it to the dealer, they found the aux battery was bad and replaced it. No problems since. (The wipers moving on their own leads me to believe it's your aux battery as well).

OP
OP
CraigEdWood

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Check battery cables.
Thank you. Battery cables were the first place I looked, then fuses, then checked my two aux connections that I made for lights and my usb under dash port. All secure. I opted for connections are under hood as opposed to passenger footwell. Thanks!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I have a suspicion that the bigger alternator in the aux-equipped models don't get in to the optimal range unless you spend time in high rpms which doesn't happen with the 8 speed.

I wonder if putting on a smaller pulley on the alternator would help?

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a loose ground. Was working with someone who ran up against the exact same issue. It turned out there was a loose ground from the factory build that was tied to the powertrain connections (red wires in the linked diagram) that grounded behind the center console.

These are the main grounding points in the Jeep, and if you're so inclined, you can check them. You are under warranty, so that's obviously the way to go. I tend to like to try to mitigate a multi-day dealer trip when possible, so feel free to check these ground points.

Good luck!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/GROUND-LOCATION-LAYOUT.pdf

OP
OP
CraigEdWood

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like a loose ground. Was working with someone who ran up against the exact same issue. It turned out there was a loose ground from the factory build that was tied to the powertrain connections (red wires in the linked diagram) that grounded behind the center console.

These are the main grounding points in the Jeep, and if you're so inclined, you can check them. You are under warranty, so that's obviously the way to go. I tend to like to try to mitigate a multi-day dealer trip when possible, so feel free to check these ground points.

Good luck!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/GROUND-LOCATION-LAYOUT.pdf
wow! Regardless if that’s my current prob or not, that is a tremendous document to have. Thank you!!
I am glad it’s under strange for sure but don’t want to take and leave it if I didn’t have too. Thank you!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
wow! Regardless if that’s my current prob or not, that is a tremendous document to have. Thank you!!
I am glad it’s under strange for sure but don’t want to take and leave it if I didn’t have too. Thank you!
If you haven't seen it, @x7tristan has an awesome post in the electronics section with tons of wiring/connectivity stuff. It's one of the Sticky posts here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/electronics-electrical-uconnect-nav-a-v-cb-cameras.9/

OP
OP
CraigEdWood

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
UPDATE- Resolved?
I feel like an idiot. I checked the grounds i worked on the other day when i posted this. Checked the battery, fuses and grounds. However there are two posts on the frame fairly close and I obviously looked at the wrong one. Looking today after reviewing your diagram I found the nut was about 1/8” unthreaded and finger loose. Everything is tightened down and all that remains is a check engine light that I’m hoping resolves itself after a half dozen drives. I’ll confirm. Fingers crossed.

*Note- I love this group. Amazing resource. I’ve seen some trolls rip newbies for mistakes and not understanding protocol and it’s unfortunate. This was great feedback. Thanks to everyone that weighed in!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE- Resolved?
I feel like an idiot. I checked the grounds i worked on the other day when i posted this. Checked the battery, fuses and grounds. However there are two posts on the frame fairly close and I obviously looked at the wrong one. Looking today after reviewing your diagram I found the nut was about 1/8” unthreaded and finger loose. Everything is tightened down and all that remains is a check engine light that I’m hoping resolves itself after a half dozen drives. I’ll confirm. Fingers crossed.

*Note- I love this group. Amazing resource. I’ve seen some trolls rip newbies for mistakes and not understanding protocol and it’s unfortunate. This was great feedback. Thanks to everyone that weighed in!
Great news, glad to hear!
Sponsored