2020Willys

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hi All,

New to the site. I picked up my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys with the premium sunrider soft top on February 29th. This is my 3rd Wrangler over the years and each one has had a soft top and I've never had this problem before.

I'm writing to see if anyone else is having issues with the latches coming undone on their soft tops? Every time I have driven on the highway with the top on, one or both latches have come undone. It is most frequently the passenger side latch, but both have come undone. The hook has stayed in and I have been able to reach over and secure the latch, but it is rather unsettling and pretty dangerous. Until last night, the passenger side latch had only come undone above 70 mph. As I was driving over the canyon the latch came undone at maybe 30 mph.

If anyone else is having this problem can you please let me know? I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten the latches or if they are defective. I am bringing my Jeep to the dealer on Friday, but any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated.

thanks!
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I have never had an issue with my latches. They always stay put.

But, I did have a runin with my garage door one morning. In sunrider mode, the latch grabbed the lower lip of the door and bent the latch. Luckily I was able to bend it back into position, but the plastic around the screws was broken so I ordered a replacement from Quadratec. From what I have seen when looking at the damage, there is no adjustment to the latches.

Oh, and, the latch is on backorder. If the dealer decides to change them out, it will take a while.

OP
OP

2020Willys

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the insight. Good to know about the backorder. Now that summer is here, I really don't need to have the top on, but I'd rather get it taken care of before I do.

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
I put washers behind the mounting screws,this tightened them up.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
if its the OEM soft top take that in and get it fixed its under warranty. damn people if its broken and your jeep is new take it in you said you can replicate it so take it in have a tech go with you at highway speeds and when it pops they will replace the messed up part or just give you a new top.

Sponsored

OP
OP

2020Willys

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi All,

I brought my jeep to the dealer yesterday to get the latches checked out. They said they were faulty and ordered new ones. They expect to have them in about a week and I'll let you know the result once they are installed. On my return, both the driver's side and passenger's side latches came undone, more than they stayed fastened, and I basically drove home with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding down the roof. I'm hoping new latches will solve that problem.

I have to say, if any of you are in Southern California and know someone looking for a Jeep, Rydell in San Fernando is fantastic. I almost didn't even consider them when I was looking, because they are pretty far away from me (in LA miles), but I have zero complaints from initial contact through my latest service call. I think so many people have bad dealer experiences, and I've had a few, but the entire team at Rydell deserves a shout out among Jeep enthusiasts. I don't work for them, they have just been really great.

OP
OP

2020Willys

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi All,

I brought my jeep to the dealer yesterday to get the latches checked out. They said they were faulty and ordered new ones. They expect to have them in about a week and I'll let you know the result once they are installed. On my return, both the driver's side and passenger's side latches came undone, more than they stayed fastened, and I basically drove home with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding down the roof. I'm hoping new latches will solve that problem.

I have to say, if any of you are in Southern California and know someone looking for a Jeep, Rydell in San Fernando is fantastic. I almost didn't even consider them when I was looking, because they are pretty far away from me (in LA miles), but I have zero complaints from initial contact through my latest service call. I think so many people have bad dealer experiences, and I've had a few, but the entire team at Rydell deserves a shout out among Jeep enthusiasts. I don't work for them, they have just been really great.
Hi All,

I brought my Jeep in today. It took a little longer, but it was expected thanks to @redracer. Anyway, the good news is that they replaced the latches and they stayed hooked on the highway on my way home. I will give it a few more tries before I'm convinced that they are fixed.

The bad news is that they accidentally cracked the plastic arms on top. They were very upfront and profusely apologetic and ordered replacement parts which should take 7 days. Anyway, just wanted to close the loop on this.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hi All,

I brought my Jeep in today. It took a little longer, but it was expected thanks to @redracer. Anyway, the good news is that they replaced the latches and they stayed hooked on the highway on my way home. I will give it a few more tries before I'm convinced that they are fixed.

The bad news is that they accidentally cracked the plastic arms on top. They were very upfront and profusely apologetic and ordered replacement parts which should take 7 days. Anyway, just wanted to close the loop on this.
This is my fear. I have a new Jeep, not even 2 weeks old, and the pass. latch comes undone on the highway. I don't want the dealer to waste my time or break something else. I would rather order the latch and do it myself. It looks like the part has been discontinued and replaced with a revised version?
68391566AA has become 68391566AB
Can anyone confirm?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
This is my fear. I have a new Jeep, not even 2 weeks old, and the pass. latch comes undone on the highway. I don't want the dealer to waste my time or break something else. I would rather order the latch and do it myself. It looks like the part has been discontinued and replaced with a revised version?
Can anyone confirm?
According to a couple MOPAR parts websites, yes, AA is obsolete and NLA and replaced by the AB version.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
According to a couple MOPAR parts websites, yes, AA is obsolete and NLA and replaced by the AB version.
Thanks. Disappointing on a new vehicle, but it seems I am not alone.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can anyone confirm?
@zrickety

Have you tried to adjust the 2 brackets (one on each side) on the JL header where the top latches fasten to?

On each of the brackets, you will see a piece of black felt stuck on to the head of the Torx bolt. Peel off the felt, loosen the torx bolt(s) and fool with the bracket adjustment. That felt is easily put back on.. remains way sticky after removal.

There is only a bit of adjustment you can do but it will help... unless your latches on the top are in fact problematic.

DO first, adjust just your passenger side bracket.. DO KNOW that more often then not, that bracket is the one you see owner's (to include me) adjusting...

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
@zrickety
Have you tried to adjust the 2 brackets (one on each side) on the JL header where the top latches fasten to?
Yes, I actually tried this on the side of the road with my toolkit. I adjusted both latch and bracket to no effect. Literally on my way home from the dealership, but it was an 8 hour drive.
My 2 door manual Rubicon was not easy to find.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes, I actually tried this on the side of the road with my toolkit. I adjusted both latch and bracket to no effect. Literally on my way home from the dealership, but it was an 8 hour drive.
My 2 door manual Rubicon was not easy to find.
@zrickety

I'd try adjusting again. Fool with them... When you get it right, you will actually feel the latch(s) offers more resistance. Get that, more resistance feel, and hopefully, your unlatch issue will be no more.

Until you come up with a fix, put a little piece of soft rubber or something between the SR latch and the bracket as you lock it down. That will leave less play in the mix and the latch will not easily release. I had to do this on a JK for the last year that I owned that one..

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
@zrickety

I'd try adjusting again. Fool with them... When you get it right, you will actually feel the latch(s) offers more resistance. Get that, more resistance feel, and hopefully, your unlatch issue will be no more.

Until you come up with a fix, put a little piece of soft rubber or something between the SR latch and the bracket as you lock it down. That will leave less play in the mix and the latch will not easily release. I had to do this on a JK for the last year that I owned that one..
I get a satisfying click on the driver side latch, and it sits flush. The passenger side never quite gets there. It doesn't matter if I make it looser or tighter, I've tried both ways.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I ordered a new latch and spare from MoparFactoryParts.com. This is a dealer in Bridgeton, MO with good prices and great reviews.
All Star Dodge Chrysler Jeep, thank you.
Sponsored