Sponsored

2020 Sahara with 3.6 and Tow Group question

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CRV - 2003 Ford Expedition
Hey everyone, I did do a search to see if I could find an answer to this question but it does not appear so.

If you get the automatic transmission for the 2020 Sahara, you have a choice between the 2L and 3.6L with etorque. I am going to be going with the 3.6. I still wish it were available without the etorque in the automatic, but it is not so that is what we are stuck with.

My question is, when you add the tow package, it tells you it comes with a 240 amp alternator (among other things), but the 3.6 with the etorque doesn't have an alternator, so what exactly happens here?

If any 2020 Sahara owners have the tow package on theirs, and are running the auto trans with the 3.6, I'd really appreciate shedding some light on this!

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been mulling it over during the day, and thinking maybe it wont need a beefed up alternator, maybe the BSG that is on the motor to replace the alternator is beefy enough? So essentially the tow package would add the receiver and wiring and maybe a bigger battery?

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
I have been mulling it over during the day, and thinking maybe it wont need a beefed up alternator, maybe the BSG that is on the motor to replace the alternator is beefy enough? So essentially the tow package would add the receiver and wiring and maybe a bigger battery?
I have this build. Your guess is correct, you get the tow package minus the alternator.

Super happy with the 3.6 BSG, very responsive from a stop even with 33” Rubi takeoff’s!

I haven’t towed (just 4 bike tray style carrier), so can’t comment on towing performance.

Enjoy!

9527EA86-59E5-4A05-AC1E-8C504840FA20.jpeg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
BSG offers plenty of beef, and yes, the package will include the receiver with wiring and 2 types of trailer plugs, the higher cold cranking amp battery, and the aux switches with pigtails in both the passenger footwell and under the hood by the battery.

OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you folks for the replies, I am trying to reach out to the dealer now to see about the possibility of putting an order in. I had been very much concerned about this motor truthfully and was pretty butthurt that Jeep wouldn't allow the option of the motor with the auto, but rather a requirement, which is what really held me up in an attempt to purchase.
Sponsored