2020 Sahara whines

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
We have a 2020 Sahara we purchased 5-6 months ago with about 15k miles on it. It's always made a whine noise when you give it gas (both while driving and when in park/neutral). Also maybe for different reasons it whines in reverse fairly loud, like a manual transmission would. Are both these whines normal? Anything to look for? The whine seems to only occur while giving gas, not coasting/idling. I know many others have posted similar inquiries but have yet to see a definitive explanation. It's load enough to hear with Windows up and hardtop.
Sponsored

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
You’re driving a turbo charged engine. Totally normal. I for one rather enjoy the turbo whine

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I'm surprised that a Rubi owner has yet to post that the Sahara is whining that it's not a Rubicon.

Likely coming in 3...2...1....
Well I was after reading the title, but then I saw your post. 🤣

You took the wind right out of my sails.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Sahara whines D3F26727-32E9-435C-80BA-3024C8B71A00

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Ha Ha Ha, my thing with the Rubicon is (though I would LOVE one) if I'm going to be doing the kind of off roading that requires it, I'm not taking a $50k Jeep to do it, I'm too much a worrier. My post about the whine wasn't so much that it annoyed me, was more just asking if it's something failing that should get checked out before something fails. But sounds like it's just the nature of having a turbo (which I'm 100% fine with).

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised that a Rubi owner has yet to post that the Sahara is whining that it's not a Rubicon.

Likely coming in 3...2...1....
Since you just got here, you haven't yet picked up on the fact that it's mostly non rubicon owners that draw unnecessary dividing lines between the models.
We have a 2020 Sahara we purchased 5-6 months ago with about 15k miles on it. It's always made a whine noise when you give it gas (both while driving and when in park/neutral). Also maybe for different reasons it whines in reverse fairly loud, like a manual transmission would. Are both these whines normal? Anything to look for? The whine seems to only occur while giving gas, not coasting/idling. I know many others have posted similar inquiries but have yet to see a definitive explanation. It's load enough to hear with Windows up and hardtop.
When giving throttle in neutral or in gear, you're hearing the turbine spooling up. When reversing, you're hearing the straight cut reverse gear in the transmission. The helical cut forward gears are quieter, and stronger due to more surface contact at any given time. Both "whines" are completely normal.

Congrats on your new Sahara, and welcome to the community!

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Since you just got here, you haven't yet picked up on the fact that it's mostly non rubicon owners that draw unnecessary dividing lines between the models.
1. It’s more of a joke than a dividing line. Relax.
2. There were Rubis before there were JLs. I’m new to JLs, not to Rubis.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. It’s more of a joke than a dividing line. Relax.
2. There were Rubis before there were JLs. I’m new to JLs, not to Rubis.
1. The purpose of all those smiley face symbols is to make up for text being the most detached form of communication when it comes to conveying where one's coming from. It requires a bit extra to make up for not reading someone's eyes and body, or at least the tone in their voice.

"Nice Sport" reads like a compliment, whereas "Nice Sport :CWL:" doesn't.

2. Than you should already know that the Jeep community is one of the best, and that perpetuating those dividing lines can only take away from that.

A simple ;) or :LOL: or :bandit: would've gone a long way towards helping us readers know where you're coming from. Many other members know me to be welcoming to any and all. I'm just not a fan of dividing lines, that's all.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
1. The purpose of all those smiley face symbols is to make up for text being the most detached form of communication when it comes to conveying where one's coming from. It requires a bit extra to make up for not reading someone's eyes and body, or at least the tone in their voice.

"Nice Sport" reads like a compliment, whereas "Nice Sport :CWL:" doesn't.

2. Than you should already know that the Jeep community is one of the best, and that perpetuating those dividing lines can only take away from that.

A simple ;) or :LOL: or :bandit: would've gone a long way towards helping us readers know where you're coming from. Many other members know me to be welcoming to any and all. I'm just not a fan of dividing lines, that's all.
Ok. But I’m a grown man and emojis aren’t my thing. I’m also confused why you’ve only come after me when (1) another member declared he was going to make the same post (but was spared your public sanctioning) and (2) the OP literally typed “ha ha ha” three days ago. That context is lost on you without animated emojis? If so, you are better off blocking me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. But I’m a grown man and emojis aren’t my thing. I’m also confused why you’ve only come after me when (1) another member declared he was going to make the same post (but was spared your public sanctioning) and (2) the OP literally typed “ha ha ha” three days ago. That context is lost on you without animated emojis? If so, you are better off blocking me.
What is ever to gain by chasing reactions, rather than going directly to the root cause? Serious question.

Nothing is as telling, as one's immediate physical reactions to others and their environment. Text requires a bit more probing, because it's a delayed reaction and the information provider is given too much time to proofread and filter their response... sometimes.

I just simply like knowing who's who. The hardest part of reading between the lines, is shutting it off. I'm tipping my hand so soon, because you took a defensive posture with the word "relax". And bringing up other members is nothing more than further projection. Furthermore, not acknowledging and addressing my statement about dividing lines is leaving it evident of your goal on this forum. At least, so far. You've mistakenly taken a simple inquiry as my coming after you. So what's the point of continuing a downward spiral.

All are welcome to the table. No one gets blocked from a seat by me.. Some will bring something to it and some will take. Some of the latter will pay it forward. Some just want to set it on fire because they find entertainment in the panic. I'm just one of many that like knowing who's sitting around me at any given time, but am only one of the few that doesn't wait for someone else to ask.

I know what you may be thinking. That this is a detour down a path that we didn't set out for. But if you're with me, you can see that I'm letting you dictate how far we go before turning back.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
What is ever to gain by chasing reactions, rather than going directly to the root cause? Serious question.

Nothing is as telling, as one's immediate physical reactions to others and their environment. Text requires a bit more probing, because it's a delayed reaction and the information provider is given too much time to proofread and filter their response... sometimes.

I just simply like knowing who's who. The hardest part of reading between the lines, is shutting it off. I'm tipping my hand so soon, because you took a defensive posture with the word "relax". And bringing up other members is nothing more than further projection. Furthermore, not acknowledging and addressing my statement about dividing lines is leaving it evident of your goal on this forum. At least, so far. You've mistakenly taken a simple inquiry as my coming after you. So what's the point of continuing a downward spiral.

All are welcome to the table. No one gets blocked from a seat by me.. Some will bring something to it and some will take. Some of the latter will pay it forward. Some just want to set it on fire because they find entertainment in the panic. I'm just one of many that like knowing who's sitting around me at any given time, but am only one of the few that doesn't wait for someone else to ask.

I know what you may be thinking. That this is a detour down a path that we didn't set out for. But if you're with me, you can see that I'm letting you dictate how far we go before turning back.
That's fine, I understand you better and generally agree. As a way of personal background, I own both a Rubi and Sahara...my JKUR, as well as a recently bought JLU Sahara that I got to keep my wife and kids from always stealing mine.

I signed up for this site in order to do research on the JLU builds before buying one, but was surprised by the degree of venom some Rubicon owners showed towards non-Rubicon trims, particularly Saharas. I remember reading Sahara-bashing posts where even you participated, if indirectly, and did not steer things back to a higher road of inclusion.

I ended up buying our Sahara anyway, because I felt it was better suited for our driver use cases, but I still don't find this forum to be trim-inclusive a good part of the time. You claim that it is usually Sport or Sahara owners that sow division, but I don't share that experience and respectfully see it differently. I've even stepped in to support "the other trims" when I felt an OP's thread had been hijacked by non-productive posts where a cohort of certain trim enthusiasts described other trims as "ugly" "incapable" "mall crawlers."

When you read that sentence, was your first thought one of Sport and Sahara owners trashing Rubicons? Probably not. I'm not saying they don't exist somewhere, but I have yet to see them. Its the asymmetry of the trim bashing that I've witnessed on these boards that is at the heart of my post, whereas the irony is that I actually own, drive and love both.

If you've read this far, I'd like to thank you for both the quantity and quality of the content you've generated here. I had to scale up on the changes in JLUs (drivability, powertrains) quickly before purchasing one, and people like you helped make my decision much more informed than it otherwise could've been.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
Just saw a news release around the noise strategy and it was very clearly stated that the turbos and superchargers are going to be louder and going to accentuate the characteristic whine as a signature of the brand. Comment was regarding power platforms. Seems the whine is intentional
Sponsored