...2020 PHEV: but is it "worth it"

1. xeon

xeon Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    I like the idea of electric vehicles. Ultimately I think its the way forward. However in the mean time, we will be faced with some vehicles when the math is done that just dont make since for some drivers. We, as consumers, have to do our research, math calculations and decide what is right for us in each situation. For my driving habits, a hybrid nor electric vehicle makes any since. The break even point to my pocket book is me holding on the to vehicle way longer than I am sure I would want to.

Now a JEEP is different. I don't see ever giving it up. Its styling, regardless of how old or new, works for me. So the question to me is would I trade my V6 in for an electric. NOT YET. If I am on a trail and run out of gas....I can usually get gas from the buddy in front or the buddy behind, not that I should run out of gas but just say'n. Getting to from home to a great spot to trail is often a journey, one where I am having a hard time finding a plug spot to recharge before hitting the trail. I guess we could carry spare lithium batteries like we do spare gas but the added weight...don't think so. I guess we could throw solar panels on the roof with all the other stuff...more weight...again dont think so. Until infrastructure exists commonly for EVs in the same quantity that we have gas stations, I think I will stick with a gas JEEP. But I know the day is coming and I am waiting....then I will consider a hybird or all electric JEEP.

2. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I get what you're saying, but this plug in is a hybrid, with a gas engine. So if you do wind up running out of gas out on a trail and you've brought a gas can you're still good to go.

xjgary likes this.
  3. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
    Liked:
    Doc... Duh.
    For me and all the rest waiting for the PHEV and Diesel.

57F39F14-8BEF-4273-BB51-5A80803E5F64.jpeg

Sean L likes this.