Larry_G

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am expecting my Jeep to arrive in the next week or two and am really excited to go out and explore.

Does anyone have any recommendations on places in New England that offer interesting things to see and do in the vicinity of some dirt roads that I can take the Jeep out on?

Also is there any kind of map book of dirt roads of New England?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I am expecting my Jeep to arrive in the next week or two and am really excited to go out and explore.

Does anyone have any recommendations on places in New England that offer interesting things to see and do in the vicinity of some dirt roads that I can take the Jeep out on?

Also is there any kind of map book of dirt roads of New England?
To find the good trails in Mass/New England seems like you need to know someone who knows or be part of a club that knows and/or has their own land access. There's Baystate Jeepers but they aren't accepting new members right now. You can get on the waitlist, like I am. They did contact me to let me know about a newbie run they were doing earlier this fall for people on the waitlist. But through a mix up on my part I showed up on the wrong day so missed the run. I hope I didn't hurt my chances of joining too badly.

Also check out Exploring New Hampshire. They are a good group and maintain a database of trails in NH, but I think you have to earn access to the database by participating in runs and letting them get to know you. They do quite a few runs over the year. I got my Jeep too late this year to get on any with them but I did some a couple of years ago with my brother.

This spring I am hoping to get out with one of these groups!

Rob

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
To find the good trails in Mass/New England seems like you need to know someone who knows or be part of a club that knows and/or has their own land access. There's Baystate Jeepers but they aren't accepting new members right now. You can get on the waitlist, like I am. They did contact me to let me know about a newbie run they were doing earlier this fall for people on the waitlist. But through a mix up on my part I showed up on the wrong day so missed the run. I hope I didn't hurt my chances of joining too badly.

Also check out Exploring New Hampshire. They are a good group and maintain a database of trails in NH, but I think you have to earn access to the database by participating in runs and letting them get to know you. They do quite a few runs over the year. I got my Jeep too late this year to get on any with them but I did some a couple of years ago with my brother.

This spring I am hoping to get out with one of these groups!

Rob
Bay State Jeepers not accepting new members ?!Who do they think they are ?

bs.gif

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Bay State Jeepers not accepting new members ?!Who do they think they are ?

bs.gif
lol, their club their rulz... They have noted a huge uptick in membership requests this year and I guess they are trying to manage the number of rigs going on runs, etc... I have no issue with it.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Maine Atlas and Gazateer.
Many of the Logging roads and trials are used for snowmobile trails in winter and motorized vehicles and ATV's cannot use them after it snows.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Vt requires all towns to maintain road Classification, class 1 is paved, 2 is gravel, 3 is dirt, 4 is unmaintained but still considered a public road
http://vtransmaps.vermont.gov/mapsftp/current.asp

Nh has the same stuff just different class numbers and don't make towns maintain maps

There is Maine Northwoods

I highly recommend joining a club that is part of nea4wd, and going to events like go topless day in monson ma around May to meet people

OP
OP
Larry_G

Larry_G

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is too bad there are not better resources out there.

Thanks, the city maps are a great resource. Much appreciated.
Most if the land is private own and what little public land there is is for conservation. This is why things are so secretive as weird gets out of these places they get over run and trashed. This is why clubs that are part of the nea4wd are important as it helps connect you to land owners.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out the videos of the 2019 JL/JT experience. They run trials from NY to Maine. Some public, some private.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7-SERnXi9j4LdSR-fQS9Q/videos
the only 2 public trails in that I would not recommend a stock Rubicon to go on by themselves especially for someone just starting out.

Old Florida Road for the most part is doable minus 1 ledge in the middle of the trail that gets dug out more and more each year, and there are little to no bypasses as it is an ancient road and imediatly to the left and right of the road are land owners who are not friendly to trespassers.

MaBell is open and is over run, there are plenty of bypasses for the harder stuff but it is so over run now that those by passes are getting dug out and I have seen too many people to knowing what they are doing going there and getting themselves in trouble, its a short trail only about 1/2 mile but you can make a day out of it it is that hard. In JL/JT experience they only did half the trail before high tailling it out.

Field and Forest is private land, the camp ground is rented out most of the year by buggie clubs and other NEA4wd clubs, if you reach out to Bob and Liza about camping there they may be open to it. It is a great camp site to go out to do class 6 roads and other private trails in the area. The property has some of the hardest trails in the north east and it gets worse and worse every year and gets very slick with little rain. When I first started going there we could drag liberty on 31s through the greens and now most of what the JL/JT experience did were the same greens and blues that liberty did and struggled because they have gotten so washed and dug out. Greens there are like blues and blacks at Rausch creek and Bob does not want people who do not know what they are doing on his trails and will kick you out if you are dumb.