First Name
Amol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi
I am new here.
I have 2020 JLUR with Tow and HD electrical package which comes with AGM battery. I verified it. I wanted to know whether the ESS Battery would be the same type or not?
Per Common electrical system sense, two batteries when working parallel shall be of same type but not sure.
Does anyone knows?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

On my 2018, both the main and Aux/ESS batteries are AGM. However, they are two different capacities. The main is 650 CCA and the Aux is 200 CCA.

OP
OP

Amolpathak

First Name
Amol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank you Htfan. Understood capacities. Wanted to make sure before I put on the charger /maintainer

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Amolpathak

Remember to keep in mind..... that the same high amp output battery maintainer , that shines lets say, for your Main battery (AGM) can raise utter havoc with the little 12 Ah 200 CCA, battery(AGM).

Important to remember this... if you plan to hook up the battery maintainer to the Main's pos and negative terminals and thus impacting both the Main and little Aux.

In regard to charging maintaining the stock dual battery set-up...... a little 1.25 amp battery tender, maintainer.. (most any decent brand battery tender, maintainer) is more prudent to use, versus a higher amp unit..

OP
OP

Amolpathak

First Name
Amol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks Rhinebeck01 for your insightful info. I understood regarding impact of high current charger with two batteries with different capacities, connected in parallel.
I have a smart charger which adjusts the current between 2~6A, which I presume that shall be adequate.
any opinion/suggestion/advice?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks Rhinebeck01 for your insightful info. I understood regarding impact of high current charger with two batteries with different capacities, connected in parallel.
I have a smart charger which adjusts the current between 2~6A, which I presume that shall be adequate.
any opinion/suggestion/advice?
@Amolpathak

Can tell you, I have a clue lets say, but am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be on this subject... I 'm learning though....

..with that said..

IF, you take a maintainer that is capable of putting out 6 amp and you hook it up in such a way that it could possibly, negatively impact a battery, (a battery in the in the mix)... would you feel comfortable hooking using that tender/maintainer battery?

Well, not me... IF, I were to hook a battery tender / maintainer to the Main batteries, pos and neg terminals, I myself would use a tender/maintainer that would do the deed so to speak (it may take longer to do the deed) .....and that is known to be aok to use with a little, 12 Ah 200 CCA battery (the Aux).

With that said, I would use a 1.25 amp maintainer charger, just to be prudent.. These little units cost very little...

For simple 24/7 365 d or whatever maintaining, why would you not just go with a unit like this versus risk of battery damage.

Yes, I'm sure lots of guys use a 5, 10 amp maintainer on their JL's dual battery setup..... not me though..

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Did someone say Battery Tender? Just a little tip. I have several vehicles, so I cannot drive all of them as often as I would like, including a few motorcycles, boats, riding mowers, etc... All of them stay on battery tenders, so there is always the risk of driving off with one connected. No bueno!

Bought these on Amazon and attached with a velcro cord wrap from Home Depot.

Just a little insurance so that I don't drive away in a hurry and forget to disconnect....

👇👇👇
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Type of ESS Battery 20210131_160144
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Type of ESS Battery 20210131_160152
Sponsored