• Total voters

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'll be interested to hear about your JK project. I wish some aftermarket company would do a gearbox that worked with the rest of the factory stuff like pump, lines, etc.

I still have this gearbox if you do get into comparing a bunch:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-360#post-970684
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-371#post-987873

I believe the play that you are showing in the video is the cause of the dead space on the wheel. I don’t necessarily think it is in the mesh of the sector shaft gears. And I agree with you also on the fact the electric pump is “dumb” it may increase and decrease flow biased on rpm and I believe it reduces flow depending on vehicle speed also.

I am with you on looking for a bolt in “better” box that utilizes all the other factory components. The other thing is I do feel they can change some of the drivability with programming. My wife’s Grand Cherokee has three different settings for the steering assist, comfort, normal, and sport. When you select comfort it steers similar to what I would say a well handling solid axel vehicle, normal drives the way I would expect a new modern vehicle with a steering rack, Sport is very solid, tight, and reactive. If they can change a vehicle handling that much with programming I would thing they could firm up the jeeps.

My experiment is somewhat on hold right now, getting parts pulled from salvage years and delivered during all this is getting very challenging to say the least.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Poking around on RA for a '17 JK box, they seem to differ from a 2 door to a 4 door?

External physical differences or internal valving differences or both or neither?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I am not positive but I believe the internal valving may be different on the Jk 2 door vs 4 door. I think they did away with that on the Jl and addressed this with the programming of the electric pump.

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
I just purchased my second 2020 JLUR in a six months time span and while the steering was good on the first one, the second one delivered February 23 is that much better, tight wheel and very little play!! And I’m on a 3.5” lift with 37’s, stock was amazing!! This may piss a lot of people off but I gotta say that a lot of this is in peoples heads. People have set their expectations way too high because it’s 2020 and these vehicles are pushing low 60s, it’s still a solid axle vehicle with an ancient suspension design.
I drive an F350 4dr, long bed 4x4. A d pull a 7000# trailer all day. I know rough ride. My heep with both hands on steerung whee at 55-70 mph drives itself into on-comming traffic. Its not a drift nor bounce from stiff suspension. Dealership has confirmed the problem with more than 4 different drivrs testing it. Jeep been in shop over a month. Had 700 miles on it when dropped off...

TxHCJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Gardener
In case of if anyone hopeful that 2020 JLUR doesn't have the steering wheel issue, unfortunately, they have.

I got my 2020 JLUR delivered 2 weeks ago, I factory ordered it.

it has been 2 weeks, I am not driving on a highway too often, but even in city driving it goes right or left, so I gotta center it all the time. (tire 35-36psi)

Did I test drove it before taking out from the dealer? , yes I did. I asked them to lower f psi from 43 to 37psi however, my guess is stabilizer was doing its job when it was brand new, I wasn't even able to check play on steering after few tries steering was becoming tight.

Am I unhappy with my purchase? Hell no! Wrangler is my dream car, it is what it is, I gotta work with dealers till everything get fixed. I drove Honda Civic for 2 years with 0 issues, but now I feel 100 times more happy with my wrangler.

let me know about your 2020 jls
The PSC hydralic steering system may b the best option to fix the JLU

My 2020 JKUR 3.6 - has been in the shop for over month with no KNOWN FIX, NO ETA for option to fix. Monthly payments still due.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Mototrend article
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...C4D24C78D2158087BDB2EF9577EEF064C069D3CBB6156

" I fired off a quick email to Jeep's PR reps to see if there was something mechanically different between our 2019 Wrangler's steering and this newer 2020 one, or if I was just going crazy and clearly needed to find a new career path.

Unlucky for you, I was right—Jeep's reps helpfully confirmed that Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes that would result in lighter, lower-effort steering. The change definitely made it harder for me to get back into my 2019 long-termer."

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mototrend article
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...C4D24C78D2158087BDB2EF9577EEF064C069D3CBB6156

" I fired off a quick email to Jeep's PR reps to see if there was something mechanically different between our 2019 Wrangler's steering and this newer 2020 one, or if I was just going crazy and clearly needed to find a new career path.

Unlucky for you, I was right—Jeep's reps helpfully confirmed that Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes that would result in lighter, lower-effort steering. The change definitely made it harder for me to get back into my 2019 long-termer."
That's just the "PR reps" making stuff up. Actually not entirely - it is true Jeep has tried flashing the PCM to control pump output but it's not a panacea. And plenty of '20 owners still have complaints.

Basically, the author just experienced the JL box of chocolates -- the first one he got was no good, the second one was....but it was more luck of the draw than anything

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Hello Forum..I am new as of...well...right now :)

I purchased a 2020 JLU Rubicon 3 weeks ago. Took it back to the dealer next day for problem with it wondering to the right. After an unsuccessful alignment, took it back 2 days later. Kept it for 3 days without ANY fix - even though they said it was mostly fixed...joke...didn't make a bit of difference. After days of back and forth, service manager said I would have to wait 6-9 months for a software update...REALLY?? A software update???
So, took it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion last week...after 2 more days they did NOTHING!! Told me the service manager refused to replace any parts and it acts "like it should" In other words washed his hands to it. Spoke to the shop foreman and basically said his hands were tied until the regional rep (Northern California) deems it is okay to replace any parts...a new STAR case is now open...not sure what good it will do since he is already reluctant to do anything about it now.

Then I come here - wow...hundreds upon hundreds of threads all over the place dating back to 2018 for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. You mean to tell me in 3 model years they have not/will not/cannot properly address this issue in a new model year?

3 Problems I have found with my new 2020 JLU Rubicon:
1.) Pulls to the right...let go of steering wheel for a few seconds or look away...and you auto lane change to the right
2.) When making a left hand turn, I feel resistance. Let go of the steering wheel after completing the turn and it instantly goes back to center (as it should) HOWEVER, make a right hand turn...and as most people do...you let the steering wheel slide in your hands to come back to center....NOPE!! Not mine. When making a right turn it slowly tries to come back to center but never quite makes it and I continue to turn right slightly (Is that normal?? I don't think so but let me know)
3.) Constant correction on highway. I am constantly making small adjustments to the left to keep it in the center of the lane (see number 1 above). This causes driver fatigue on longer drives and just a horrible and possibly dangerous driving experience. Add a little wind and it looks like I am driving drunk swerving left and right all over the place to drive down the center of the road.

I have owned Jeeps since 1993 and NEVER had problems like this. It feels like I am driving a 1980's Cadillac Seville. Steering feels like a boat. THIS IS A JEEP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...it's not suppose to feel like a car. My last JLU was a 2014 and was great. Seems like ever since they went from hydraulic steering to this new damn electronic all these problems started happening

So here is the problem - it is a 2020!!! Way too earlier for a TSB or Star case to reference. They won't randomly replace parts even though they exist and seem to solve most/many of the problems in 2019 models.

I am curious if anyone from FCA or Jeepcares monitors this Forum and reviewed this specific thread. This needs to be fixed immediately. I spent $52,000 for what I thought was going to be the best Jeep I have owned...(being my fourth one now). If anyone from FCA/Jeepcares views this, reply to me. Help your LOYAL CUSTOMERS....I get it...it is new but the problem (same problem) is old. I will be glad to work with you, but you need to work with me.

To my Jeep brothers/sisters - Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? Please do so. Also, does anyone know for a fact if any of the past fixes have been applied to the 2020? (For example the "AE" steering box and the updated/upgraded Track bar???)

Thank you all and let's put this problem to bed!

Brandon I have the #2 problem for sure.

2.) When making a left hand turn, I feel resistance. Let go of the steering wheel after completing the turn and it instantly goes back to center (as it should) HOWEVER, make a right hand turn...and as most people do...you let the steering wheel slide in your hands to come back to center....NOPE!! Not mine. When making a right turn it slowly tries to come back to center but never quite makes it and I continue to turn right slightly (Is that normal?? I don't think so but let me know)

That is not normal..but mine does it. Did you have any luck with a fix? I checked all the parts on my 2020 Rubicon and they are updated (AE) etc.. I am going to try and have the dealership check the caster..make sure they are equal.. I've also heard the longer Lower Control Arms from Mopar help but hard to justify spending another dime on a 53K vehicle.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Brandon I have the #2 problem for sure.

That is not normal..but mine does it. Did you have any luck with a fix? I checked all the parts on my 2020 Rubicon and they are updated (AE) etc.. I am going to try and have the dealership check the caster..make sure they are equal.. I've also heard the longer Lower Control Arms from Mopar help but hard to justify spending another dime on a 53K vehicle.
Try this free fix, which has fixed other steering issues. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-406#post-1148297

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would consider myself pretty handy and although I might not build Jeeps for a living I do build some high hp cars and know my way around fabrication and what it takes to make a 3000 HP car go down the road straight. After owning several Jeep Tj/Ljs I would be thrilled if my 2020 Jl drove half as good as my Lj. Fact of the mater is the gear box on these things either suck or they are decent. My 04 Lj with 140k drives better than my wife’s 2020 Grand Cherokee, my 2020 JL drives like a 57 Buick. You can’t just make these things drive straight if they don’t make a box that is consistent.
3000hp straight down the road huh???

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would consider myself pretty handy and although I might not build Jeeps for a living I do build some high hp cars and know my way around fabrication and what it takes to make a 3000 HP car go down the road straight. After owning several Jeep Tj/Ljs I would be thrilled if my 2020 Jl drove half as good as my Lj. Fact of the mater is the gear box on these things either suck or they are decent. My 04 Lj with 140k drives better than my wife’s 2020 Grand Cherokee, my 2020 JL drives like a 57 Buick. You can’t just make these things drive straight if they don’t make a box that is consistent.
many people have swapped out gearboxes with no success, I think it has more to do With software and it being made out of aluminum then anything else.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
many people have swapped out gearboxes with no success, I think it has more to do With software and it being made out of aluminum then anything else.

THIS IS A COPY OF A POST FROM BRANDON ON A DIFFERENT, BUT SIMILAR THREAD.
IT ECHOS YOUR CONCERN

All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- FCA is aware and a forthcoming new box/joint coming within next 2-3 months
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you think anything they told you will come to fruition in a reasonable time frame I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn you need to take a look at. FCA is too big and powerful, lots of people will unfortunately have to die before they dig in their greedy pockets for global recall. It all come down to the mighty dollar, without deaths and class action lawsuits nothing will change or come of it.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There is no way in hell FCA is putting adjustable ball joints in these things. They won’t even make them serviceable with a simple grease fitting let alone swapping out ball joints on millions of wranglers. As far as the wandering goes in high wind and passing trucks, is this a joke? It’s a solid axle brick on wheels what do you expect? Under normal circumstances it shouldn't wander, but under those conditions it’s par for the course.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Some people have complained about the steering on the Jeep for decades (probably since WWII) but no matter what changes are made some back yard mechanics always have a variety of conclusions of what is wrong and how to fix it. People have complained to Jeep and NHSTA for years but nothing signuficant has changed. I've seen videos people made of the unacceptable steering that didn't seem unusual. So is there a problem? On some vehicles yes as happens in anything mechanical or human. Is it on every Jeep like some claim, no. There is one solution they can try to see if the problem gets solved, go to IFS. How would people like that?
Sponsored