First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Yes, people have complained about jeep steering in the past, especially those who never drove a solid axle vehicle. but the major complaints started after the switch to electronic steering instead of the hydraulic steering pump.
That indicates an issue going on with the steering system. It’s not a few oddballs, it’s thousands of consumers.

There have been deaths as reported to NHTSB which is why they are taking serious looks at it now.

You can win against the big Corporations, many have fought and won refunds, buybacks, replacements. I won my case !

Backyard mechanics find bandaids and work arounds to help the problem, manufacturer developed products like sector braces (not,a new idea, they have been around), better track bars, stabilizers , total replacements for retrofitting back to the hydraulic system. All help in their own way.

It’s not a Jeep thing that inexperienced drivers have, if you drove one you would understand exactly the issue. Not,all have the same problem to the same degree. My 2018 JL was almost undrivable. My replacement (paid for by FCA) 2020 JL was easily 75% better right out of the box. Added mods brought it up to 90% as good as my JK.

Its not an issue with the driver, definitely an issue with parts and/or quality control. I empathize with those caught in the middle of the battle and applaud the posters here fighting the battle to make it right. I agree Jeep will never admit to a fault or replace parts that impede the product design, they easily can find a solution and make that available to those that have and will have issues.
While my own issue is pretty much resolved, i will always continue to support the others and encourage them to find new solutions to this insanely frustrating problem.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong. Go Google each year of Wrangler and see steering and suspension complaints at the top of the list and all kinds of ideas of what the problem is. The complaints may be coming more prevalent as more people buy Wranglers so more people to complain. Doesn't mean it is more of a problem.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wrong. Go Google each year of Wrangler and see steering and suspension complaints at the top of the list and all kinds of ideas of what the problem is. The complaints may be coming more prevalent as more people buy Wranglers so more people to complain. Doesn't mean it is more of a problem.
Not wrong.. the serious complaints about dangerous steering are after the 2018 steering change to electronic.
People in past didn’t like the feel of a solid axel suspension
My JK is different than my Murano and CVT was but still is was responsive and safe. I knew it would be different and expected that. Not an issue to complain about. The JL was unsafe. and it’s not ALL JLs, just a smattering of them, so it’s a quality control issue in my mind. Whether parts or production quality, maybe even a final steering programming issue.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not wrong.. the serious complaints about dangerous steering are after the 2018 steering change to electronic.
People in past didn’t like the feel of a solid axel suspension
My JK is different than my Murano and CVT was but still is was responsive and safe. I knew it would be different and expected that. Not an issue to complain about. The JL was unsafe. and it’s not ALL JLs, just a smattering of them, so it’s a quality control issue in my mind. Whether parts or production quality, maybe even a final steering programming issue.
How many injured or killed from it?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How many injured or killed from it?
you will need to check the NTHSB reports, when I was in
litigation with FCA the count was low and i have not checked since then. All the attorneys needed to see was 1 incident of fatalities to push the unsafe button for me.
After that FCA made no attempt to fight further and made full restitution of every cent paid. Since that was the only issue with the vehicle. I simply found one that drove like a Jeep should and bought it.
No need to drag this issue back and forth, we can agree to disagree on the topic, and I totally respect your defense of the product. All you need to do is drive one of the problem Jeeps and you will see the issue first hand. It‘s totally different than the normal Jeep drivability.

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
How about Right AND Wrong? I am one of the lucky ones who's 2020 Rubi drives like a straight axle Jeep, but not dangerously so. Yes, it requires a tad bit more attention when driving to stay straight, but no more than my straight axle Ram. I also have an IFS Ram so can easily tell the difference when driving one and then the other. Again - not dangerous, but does require more attention to stay on the straight and narrow (I'd almost call it oversteer). That's not to say there aren't Jeeps out there that have a dangerous issue - I just don't have one.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Tried this.. No noticeable change. Its not an absurd problem right now...Seems the 2018/2019 Wranglers had some major issues that could be corrected or at least dramatically improved with the new Steering Box (AE), Stabilizer etc with the updated part numbers...

Which brings us to 2020. No death wobble. Just a wheel that has more play than it should and definitely not tracking as well as it could/wheel not returning to center from right turn. Its not a Jeep thing..its a design thing for sure.

Lower tire pressure does help..about 31/32 cold gets you 35 on warm day driving. I've been studying these threads for a while now.. Seems a popular fix is new Mopar Lower Control arms that are designed for up to a 2" lift. Since the Rubicon has a factory lift over the Sport I guess this adds more caster, hence better tracking. Also a lot of videos online saying the Synergy Track Bar Brace helps..

I'm really not about to start adding new parts to a $54K Jeep (I have Skytop so it was pricy) with less than $5K miles on it...

Plan of attack for now.. At servicing I will ask for an alignment/checkover and make sure they check caster.. I brought it in once and they didn't check that..said they would align for free at first servicing if "problem" persisted...

Meanwhile hopeful Jeep comes up with a one part swap that fixes it all.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@Vinny2002,

Please let us know if you would like additional support while your dealership is looking into this. Please feel free to send us PM at any time.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Tried this.. No noticeable change. Its not an absurd problem right now...Seems the 2018/2019 Wranglers had some major issues that could be corrected or at least dramatically improved with the new Steering Box (AE), Stabilizer etc with the updated part numbers...

Which brings us to 2020. No death wobble. Just a wheel that has more play than it should and definitely not tracking as well as it could/wheel not returning to center from right turn. Its not a Jeep thing..its a design thing for sure.

Lower tire pressure does help..about 31/32 cold gets you 35 on warm day driving. I've been studying these threads for a while now.. Seems a popular fix is new Mopar Lower Control arms that are designed for up to a 2" lift. Since the Rubicon has a factory lift over the Sport I guess this adds more caster, hence better tracking. Also a lot of videos online saying the Synergy Track Bar Brace helps..

I'm really not about to start adding new parts to a $54K Jeep (I have Skytop so it was pricy) with less than $5K miles on it...

Plan of attack for now.. At servicing I will ask for an alignment/checkover and make sure they check caster.. I brought it in once and they didn't check that..said they would align for free at first servicing if "problem" persisted...

Meanwhile hopeful Jeep comes up with a one part swap that fixes it all.
I would steer clear of Jeep Cares, they're not a 3rd party. Their presence is purely for the appearance of helping out Jeep owners. They have been little to no help for many of us on these forums. They have no authority to implement anything and in some cases may alert the dealer on what to say to you before you arrive for your service appointment.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
you will need to check the NTHSB reports, when I was in
litigation with FCA the count was low and i have not checked since then. All the attorneys needed to see was 1 incident of fatalities to push the unsafe button for me.
After that FCA made no attempt to fight further and made full restitution of every cent paid. Since that was the only issue with the vehicle. I simply found one that drove like a Jeep should and bought it.
No need to drag this issue back and forth, we can agree to disagree on the topic, and I totally respect your defense of the product. All you need to do is drive one of the problem Jeeps and you will see the issue first hand. It‘s totally different than the normal Jeep drivability.
NHTSA data reported by car complaints:
2020 JL Steering issues - 0 injuries, 0 deaths
2019 JL Steering issues - 2 crashes, 1 injury
2018 JL Steering issues - 4 crashes, 2 injuries

Not bad for 600,000+ on the road.

Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I would steer clear of Jeep Cares, they're not a 3rd party. Their presence is purely for the appearance of helping out Jeep owners. They have been little to no help for many of us on these forums. They have no authority to implement anything and in some cases may alert the dealer on what to say to you before you arrive for your service appointment.

I second this. Jeep Cares alerted the second and third dealer I took my Jeep to. One dealer didn't even drive it (no miles added to the odometer) and declared that it "Drives as intended." Another dealer drove it, said it had a problem, and then when they contacted Jeep Cares I was told that I can come pick it up because it "Drives as intended"

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NHTSA data reported by car complaints:
2020 JL Steering issues - 0 injuries, 0 deaths
2019 JL Steering issues - 2 crashes, 1 injury
2018 JL Steering issues - 4 crashes, 2 injuries

Not bad for 600,000+ on the road.
out of 1050 + complaints 80% are about steering. something is just not right. And this only reflects the official complaints to NHTSA

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR steering issue 977EA87E-FE69-4D81-9876-E9F6487A3470

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Crisis64

First Name
Lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
It's an easy fix, I wouldn't wait another year for something i could fix myself in an hour.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/fox-rac...es-2-ats-steering-stabilizer-jeep-wrangler-jl
Yes I agree with you 100%, I had an 85 Jeep CJ7, & loved driving this Jeep everywhere, these new JL's have a Serious Issue with these Steering box's, & this creates a Safety Issue, especially on the Hwy.
As far as dealers saying this is a "Jeep Thing" is BS, so far they have released 4 TSB's for this, so FCA acknowledges, there is a problem. I wish we had the Magnusson Moss Act here in Canada, as I have recently had the latest TSB 08-07-420, & dead spot is still present.
Sponsored