2020 JLUR steering issue

2020 JL steering wheel issue

• Total voters

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Jeep doesn't care. You already bought it. They're gonna put you through the wringer until you just give up and deal
with driving an unsafe vehicle. Guarantee that the resale of 2018-2020's will be terrible because of this steering issue that everyone knows about except FCA.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@Aceman - first off...I NEVER give up. I am a shrewd business savvy take no prisoners man. I have both public opinion and the law on my side, and I have the patience and drive to get what I want.
As far as resale...you are probably correct. Those that correct this via aftermarket, or those who are lucky to not have this problem will not be impacted. 18-20 models are fantastic "when they work" The updates/upgrades have been wonderful and will continue to make Jeep the #1 resale car period. I agree that FCA will quietly go about their business and take care of ppl on a one to one basis, and those who cave will get nothing, which sucks, but I think most Jeep owners have the balls/tits to see this through and will be winners.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
@Aceman - first off...I NEVER give up. I am a shrewd business savvy take no prisoners man. I have both public opinion and the law on my side, and I have the patience and drive to get what I want.
As far as resale...you are probably correct. Those that correct this via aftermarket, or those who are lucky to not have this problem will not be impacted. 18-20 models are fantastic "when they work" The updates/upgrades have been wonderful and will continue to make Jeep the #1 resale car period. I agree that FCA will quietly go about their business and take care of ppl on a one to one basis, and those who cave will get nothing, which sucks, but I think most Jeep owners have the balls/tits to see this through and will be winners.
I'm with you on this. Getting my steering fixed is my 2nd job now. Every Jeep Cares rep and every dealer within a 30 mile radius is gonna get so sick of me calling them multiple times a day, scheduling multiple service appointments, etc that they're gonna wanna take care of my issue so that I leave them alone. I'm currently looking down the legal road as well.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Keep up making them crazy it may be the only solution.
Once you start the legal process, you will be told by your legal advisor to back off
The social media and calling the dealer. At that point you and FCA stop all direct contact
and all communication goes thru the attorney.
That’s where I’m at. Not to say you have to be “radio silent” but no derogatory comments
or bitching on media is permitted. So pick your route, either be a squeaky wheel or let the
lawyer be your mouthpiece.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@Rdmitch - Good luck brother. Let us know how things go and what the journey is like. I hate to think about having to go through all this BS and hope that FCA will just come back to me and grant a trade/new build/buyback option without all the legal mumbo jumbo...we will see.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
@Rdmitch - Good luck brother. Let us know how things go and what the journey is like. I hate to think about having to go through all this BS and hope that FCA will just come back to me and grant a trade/new build/buyback option without all the legal mumbo jumbo...we will see.
Many of us here are watching how each other’s cases go.
It kills me because I love the damn jeep and don’t want to give it up. It’s set up the way I want it and it’s the first vehicle I ever owned that feels like it’s “me” . But I guess I would take a replacement of the same jeep as long as I could do an extended test drive.
I asked my dealer about replacements and exchanges and they told me FCA already said nope, and closed my case. That’s the reason for the legal route, had they tried to work through the issues I would have continued to cooperate.
For now it’s going thru the system, papers have been served and they have 2 more weeks to reply before court date is set.

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
It kills me because I love the damn jeep and don’t want to give it up. It’s set up the way I want it and it’s the first vehicle I ever owned that feels like it’s “me” . But I guess I would take a replacement of the same jeep as long as I could do an extended test drive.
I asked my dealer about replacements and exchanges and they told me FCA already said nope, and closed my case. That’s the reason for the legal route, had they tried to work through the issues I would have continued to cooperate.
For now it’s going thru the system, papers have been served and they have 2 more weeks to reply before court date is set.

Please keep us informed as to outcome and progress. Also, mention to your attorney about class action lawsuits. There are law firms that specialize in class actions. I wonder if there enough Jeep owners with a steering problem who would be willing to sign up. Just because FCA and NTSB don’t acknowledge this as a safety issue a Class Action can still be filed with enough evidence of something wrong.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Please keep us informed as to outcome and progress. Also, mention to your attorney about class action lawsuits. There are law firms that specialize in class actions. I wonder if there enough Jeep owners with a steering problem who would be willing to sign up. Just because FCA and NTSB don’t acknowledge this as a safety issue a Class Action can still be filed with enough evidence of something wrong.
The problem with a class action suit is the lawyers get a lot of money and we get a coupon.

I'd love to get my money back on fixing my Jeep, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sponsored

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
The problem with a class action suit is the lawyers get a lot of money and we get a coupon.

I'd love to get my money back on fixing my Jeep, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Class actions can be formulated to require, if plaintiffs win, defendant to perform specific performance, ie, repair or replace all affected members of the class, eg, their Jeeps. This could be verified by an independent testing agency agreeable to both parties. It's not always a cash settlement, but typically it is. Also, the class can negotiate with the law firm as to what percentage of any awards they will retain for fees and the remainder to members of the class.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Class actions can be formulated to require, if plaintiffs win, defendant to perform specific performance, ie, repair or replace all affected members of the class, eg, their Jeeps. This could be verified by an independent testing agency agreeable to both parties. It's not always a cash settlement, but typically it is. Also, the class can negotiate with the law firm as to what percentage of any awards they will retain for fees and the remainder to members of the class.
That makes sense and it seems you know this well. Thanks.

I am fixing my steering myself—not waiting for FCA any longer.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X

As much as it sucks to spend the $, I have decided to do the psc steering swap so I have a mechanical pump instead of this crap electronic one. That is the only sure fire way of fixing the gremlins. Unfortunately that's a couple grand out of pocket. My hope is a class action settlement down the road that gets some $ back, but that's a long shot. I love the jeep too much to dump it too, but my issue is somewhat fixed to where I can deal with it until the psc is installed.

I had a 98 mustang and spent big $to fix an issue with the intake manifol . Years later, got a post card in the mail stating I could get up to 1200 bucks back for the repair due to a law suit.

I can only dream ill get a post card some day about this steering thing.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
As much as it sucks to spend the $, I have decided to do the psc steering swap so I have a mechanical pump instead of this crap electronic one. That is the only sure fire way of fixing the gremlins. Unfortunately that's a couple grand out of pocket. My hope is a class action settlement down the road that gets some $ back, but that's a long shot. I love the jeep too much to dump it too, but my issue is somewhat fixed to where I can deal with it until the psc is installed.

I had a 98 mustang and spent big $to fix an issue with the intake manifol . Years later, got a post card in the mail stating I could get up to 1200 bucks back for the repair due to a law suit.

I can only dream ill get a post card some day about this steering thing.
I’m doing the same thing and ordered my kit this morning.

Streetrodder

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
In case of if anyone hopeful that 2020 JLUR doesn't have the steering wheel issue, unfortunately, they have.

I got my 2020 JLUR delivered 2 weeks ago, I factory ordered it.

it has been 2 weeks, I am not driving on a highway too often, but even in city driving it goes right or left, so I gotta center it all the time. (tire 35-36psi)

Did I test drove it before taking out from the dealer? , yes I did. I asked them to lower f psi from 43 to 37psi however, my guess is stabilizer was doing its job when it was brand new, I wasn't even able to check play on steering after few tries steering was becoming tight.

Am I unhappy with my purchase? Hell no! Wrangler is my dream car, it is what it is, I gotta work with dealers till everything get fixed. I drove Honda Civic for 2 years with 0 issues, but now I feel 100 times more happy with my wrangler.

I have 210 miles on my new 2020 JLUR, and I’m having issues with the steering. It’s all over the place. No modifications and I’m a long time Jeep owner, and I’m pissed. I’ll be at the dealers tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I make out.
Sponsored

Last edited: