• Total voters

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
thanks for the help! for getting the degrees I used an app, I hope I did something wrong if it is something hard or impossible to fix. Bubble level is the pinion angle, plumb line is the caster angle that I got from app. On Monday I will take the car to the Tire Alignment shop for getting exact angles

41D76F53-F458-45DA-8C39-3C225903A2A0.png

FF6610F1-6F4D-4A3A-9192-445A4AF5EBE5.png
Please post up the sheet they give you at the alignment shop. Tire pressure is so important on a wrangler. I actually carry a Milwaukee 12v tire inflator and a good dual tire pressure gauge in my Jeep because I constantly monitor my tires. You should have about 36psi in your tires as a starting point and go down from there until you find the sweet spot. No 2 Jeeps Dr. the same with the same tire pressure because the weight of the jeep and passengers/cargo plays a role as well. Always check and fill your tires when they are cold, never during a trip or when you just got back from a drive. The best time to do it first thing in the morning before you leave for work.
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So the JLUR is your 4th Wrangler.;)

Do you mean one of your first Wranglers to have AC? TJs had AC from their launch in '
So the JLUR is your 4th Wrangler.;)

Do you mean one of your first Wranglers to have AC? TJs had AC from their launch in '97.
I meant one of my first wranglers to have ac, and you know the CJ is a wrangler right? My math says 7

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Have you ever owned a Jeep? Have you ever worked on a Jeep? This is how Jeeps are, period!! Some might drive better, but better is a relative term!! Every single last one of my seven Jeeps have had the same diving characteristics, from my first 1979 CJ5 to my latest 2020 JLUR. You hear this from people that have owned Jeep’s for decades such as myself. And it’s not “technical Jargon” it’s real world facts!! Every time you turn your steering wheel there are 5 separate mechanical linkages that move to turn the wheels, unlike your “Camry” that has two electronically controlled ones. If you’ve never owned or driven a jeep you will not understand. It is as basic a vehicle as you can get, regardless of how much electronics and leather they cover it up with. It’s a steel tub mounted to a boxed frame with two SOLID axels and four wheels, that’s it!!! To make matters worse they have the biggest off-road tires Jeep has ever put on a wrangler. The reason I called you ignorant is because you put down people that know about these things, you sound entitled. A Wrangler will never be what you want it to be, so deal with it or trade it in for a Camry, it’s a free country!! And they are not built wrong, they’re actually built very right, they are purpose built off-road machines. With that said, they are the most capable off road machine on the planet!!
I think most of the people who accept bad handling Jeeps is because they mod cheaply or without thinking and introduce a lot of the wandering around, death wobble, etc. Because they spent a lot of money and/or "it looks cool" so they come around to tolerating the poor, self-inflicted road characteristics as a "Jeep thing". My 91 Grand Wagoneer drove as good as anything on the highway, straight as an arrow with good steering. My 89, 99, and 00 XJs, all 4wd, handled and tracked perfectly on the highway and did not wander all over the place. My 97 and 98 TJs, while maybe a little unsettled on expansion joints in curves at high speed, tracked and steered as one would expect a "normal" vehicle to. My '12 JKUR was great on the highway. In fact, I was routinely made fun of on another forum for praising its road manners and handling by those who had lifted and 35/37'd theirs to death and accepted the "Jeep thing" handling, death wobble, etc. Fortunately, my stock JLUR is following the same pattern as my others. It does very well on the road.

Jeep isn't building purpose-built off-road machines. They are building NHTSA/USDOT approved road vehicles that are also very capable off-road in stock form. You can tell this is true because of the bumpers, electronic safety measures, DOT-approved tires, etc. that a true purpose-built off-road vehicle would never need. I agree, that the body-on-frame, solid axles, etc. do not allow the precision one might find in a typical street car, but Jeep cannot plan to build less-than-safe handling vehicles with poor stability, tracking, death wobble, etc. because 2% of the people who buy them actually go rock-crawling and don't care how they drive on the road. They have to build vehicles that are safe for drivers who are also inexperienced with the vehicle they purchase. More Wranglers are bought by people wanting a fun, stylish convertible (teenagers, first-time Jeep owners, old people who want to drive around in the mountains, and plenty of others) than for pure off-roading and rock-crawling. So Wranglers have to handle safely and normal as those people would expect them to (within reason, of course) or they would have to come with some kind of unsafe for highway warning and tons of liability for FCA/Jeep.

Last edited:

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
@NPE....why don't you please just leave this thread and go somewhere else. You are an antagonistic troll that comes off as being so much more knowledgeable and better than anyone else here. I would rather just have nice people chatting and trying to help others or add to the conversation in a positive way.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No. The CJ is not a Wrangler. The YJ Wrangler replaced the CJ in 1986. No CJ was ever called a Wrangler and you are the very first Jeep person I have ever heard call a CJ a Wrangler. But regardless of what you choose to call a CJ it still is not a Wrangler. :CWL:
Wow, Granted it was officially called a Renegade, to me it will always be a Wrangler.
@NPE....why don't you please just leave this thread and go somewhere else. You are an antagonistic troll that comes off as being so much more knowledgeable and better than anyone else here. I would rather just have nice people chatting and trying to help others or add to the conversation in a positive way.
Really, I actually have helped several people with real world advice. Why, because I actually know how to repair a vehicle and know what the parts on my vehicle actually do that makes me not positive. Maybe I should sit back and whine like you, yeah that’s what I’ll do!! Good advice!! I have an idea, don’t respond to me then. I have only responded to people asking me something. Who’s the troll, was I talking to you??

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Since you're being a bit harsh I figured I might as well play.

I think most of the people who accept bad handling Jeeps is because they mod cheaply or without thinking and introduce a lot of the wandering around, death wobble, etc. Because they spent a lot of money and/or "it looks cool" so they come around to tolerating the poor, self-inflicted road characteristics as a "Jeep thing". My 91 Grand Wagoneer drove as good as anything on the highway, straight as an arrow with good steering. My 89, 99, and 00 XJs, all 4wd, handled and tracked perfectly on the highway and did not wander all over the place. My 97 and 98 TJs, while maybe a little unsettled on expansion joints in curves at high speed, tracked and steered as one would expect a "normal" vehicle to. My '12 JKUR was great on the highway. In fact, I was routinely made fun of on another forum for praising its road manners and handling by those who had lifted and 35/37'd theirs to death and accepted the "Jeep thing" handling, death wobble, etc. Fortunately, my stock JLUR is following the same pattern as my others. It does very well on the road.

You are mistaken in your assertion that Jeep is building purpose-built off-road machines. No, they are building NHTSA/USDOT approved road vehicles that are also very capable off-road in stock form. You can tell this is true because of the bumpers, electronic safety measures, DOT-approved tires, etc. that a true purpose-built off-road vehicle would never need. I agree, that the body-on-frame, solid axles, etc. do not allow the precision one might find in a typical street car, but Jeep cannot plan to build less-than-safe handling vehicles with poor stability, tracking, death wobble, etc. because 2% of the people who buy them actually go rock-crawling and don't care how they drive on the road. They have to build vehicles that are safe for drivers who are, by your definition, ignorant because they didn't study the forums prior to purchase. More Wranglers are bought by people wanting a fun, stylish convertible (teenagers, first-time Jeep owners, old people who want to drive around in the mountains, and plenty of others) than for pure off-roading and rock-crawling. So Wranglers have to handle safely and normal as those people would expect them to (within reason, of course) or they would have to come with some kind of unsafe for highway warning and tons of liability for FCA/Jeep.[/QUOTE I won’t even respond, I can’t even deal with the crying anymore!! People need to take some self ownership and some personal responsibility for their own actions. Most of these complaints are from first time Jeep owners who have buyers remorse and didn’t know anything about the vehicle they purchased. You can talk all you want about how straight all your Jeep have driven and I’ll call bull shit because all of mine have been the same, if not worse. This is by far the best driving Jeep I have ever owned, even with its quirky steering. Get used to it or get rid of it, but stop crying people!!! And I wasn’t putting anyone down,or being harsh as you call it. I guess people like Brandon don’t like others actually explaining things correctly. I guess when that gentleman measured his caster and pinion angles with an iPhone app I shouldn't have explained how a Jeeps alignment actually works and what to look for. I should have just said yea dude, screw FCA because it might come off as harsh right. The truth and knowledge isn’t positive because it doesn’t fit Brandon’s bitching and whining narrative. Did I ever say that Jeeps do t have a steering Issue???? NO I DID NOT!! But I will educate someone when they are measuring suspension geometry with an iPhone app and posting it online as fact when it’s pure nonsense. That’s what this all is, nonsense. Now leave me alone and don’t respond back, it’s that easy

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you can consider a CJ an F150, Ferrari or any other thing you imagine it to be, but you would still be factually incorrect on this topic... and you would also need to understand why people laugh when you call their CJ a Wrangler or a CJ Golden Eagle a Renegade. LOL

You may understand the mechanical aspects of Jeep suspensions but it's hard to take seriously when you openly show you don't know basic Jeep stuff. And because you called BS on my actual, mostly good experience with my 8 Jeeps because of your experience with your poor-handling 7 Jeeps, I have to point out your BS misinformation on the CJ series of Jeeps. They were officially called CJ... CJ-5, CJ-7 and there were other variants such as CJ-6 and CJ-8, and older generations like CJ-3, etc. All were CJs through end of production in 1986 with no use of the Wrangler name ever until the YJ WRANGLER came out to replace the CJ.

I can also not grant you your other incorrect statement regarding Renegades. CJs were not officially called Renegades. Though many if not most CJs had the Renegade package, "Renegade" was only an option package just like Golden Eagle, Golden Hawk, and others. Generally there were decals and interior trim differences combined with some upgrades such as trac-loc, hd axles, cooling system upgrades, and other goodies. Much like a Rubicon is an upgrade package over the basic Wrangler. "Renegade" was /is also a package used for XJ and others. You would be correct in calling a CJ-5/7 with the Renegade package a "Renegade" just like we are correct in calling a Wrangler Rubicon a "Rubicon". But not all CJ-5/7s were Renegades.

I'm done. We can let this go back to JL steering issues and why FCA should fix everyone of the legitimate defects. Yes, for those who are thinking "This doesn't handle like my BMW... something must be wrong with it.", they are wrong in their complaints. But for those who cannot reasonably make their JL go in a straight line without a fight, FCA should fix it if under warranty. Or, if out of warranty, as you recommend they should do whatever they need to do to correct it on their own or trade the thing. Personally, if each of my Jeeps had not been very road-worthy, I would not have bought the next one. I drive a lot, so road comes first, off-road comes second.

Jeep-1977-CJ5-ad-a1.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg
you are super knowledgeable but why so angry

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Sorry. Not angry... nothing on here is really important enough to be angry.

It's the internet. Like email, things read worse than they were intended. Again, sorry.

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Oh my god!! It would cost a freakin $100 dollars

This conversation is absolutely ridiculous, anyone that bought and pays for a brand new Wrangler can afford $100 for a freakin second opinion if it was so important. I’m not saying to go pay someone to fix it, At least get a second opinion so you can find out what’s wrong with it and go from there. At least you’ll have a starting point and you can advise the dealer where to look. If you can’t do at least that, then the conclusion is all you want to do is complain!!
You keep saying that. They get a second opinion and then what? The shop suggests these alterations they have to pay out of pocket for. Or they go back to the dealer with suggestions and the dealer says “we can’t do it, our hands are tied we gotta wait to hear from Chrysler.” I have read people post that in here. So the dealer expects owner to pay for work done with the risk of voiding warranty.

I would never blame anybody in this situation for complaining because their situation totally sucks and I feel really bad for them that they bought a beautiful Jeep they are already having problems with and don’t want to take on the highway.

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Someone call the
Wow now your showing what a real turd you are!! If you wanna talk about any mechanical aspects of a jeep let’s do it, if you want to play semantics and start talking about model names from 30 years ago knock, on a different door!!

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How about are you clowns stop mentioning me and I won’t come back here. Continue crying and do nothing about your problems. I miss the days Jeep owners used to actually know how to fix their rigs instead of all this crying and whining And semantic arguments about a model name from 25 years ago. I’ll leave it at this, I fix my jeep because I know how to do it, do some research about how to fix your jeep and not model names from the 70s

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You keep saying that. They get a second opinion and then what? The shop suggests these alterations they have to pay out of pocket for. Or they go back to the dealer with suggestions and the dealer says “we can’t do it, our hands are tied we gotta wait to hear from Chrysler.” I have read people post that in here. So the dealer expects owner to pay for work done with the risk of voiding warranty.

I would never blame anybody in this situation for complaining because their situation totally sucks and I feel really bad for them that they bought a beautiful Jeep they are already having problems with and don’t want to take on the highway.
Why do people keep talking about voiding their warrantees. I’m not even gonna quote this because I don’t wanna sound like ”a knowledgeable no it all “ so do the research yourself. This should clear up any concern you have with “voiding” you warranted that really not doing you much good anyway. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow, Granted it was officially called a Renegade, to me it will always be a Wrangler.

Really, I actually have helped several people with real world advice. Why, because I actually know how to repair a vehicle and know what the parts on my vehicle actually do that makes me not positive. Maybe I should sit back and whine like you, yeah that’s what I’ll do!! Good advice!! I have an idea, don’t respond to me then. I have only responded to people asking me something. Who’s the troll, was I talking to you??
I come off as super knowledgeable know it all because I actually know what I’m talking and I actually know how to fix my own vehicle without using an iPhone app, wow, I’ve heard it all. You come off as a typical self entitled elitist snob. Now leave me the hell alone and I’ll leave you the hell alone, hows that???

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

This.

We have $750 in parts and four dealer visits and still a barely usable Jeep because of steering issues. I hesitated swapping parts for aftermarket because I’ve read that people have been turned down due to non-stock parts.

We shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket to *fix* the steering on a stock Jeep.
Sponsored