• Total voters

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Bud, I think you are stuck in a mind set that others here don't have, or even want.

We shouldn't have to do any of this. End of story.

It's not about what we can afford or what we can do outside the realm of FCA, it's about them selling goods that are broken. There is no counter-point to this.
THEN DON’T, keep complaint and see how far that gets you!! end of story goodbye!!!!
Sponsored

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With a question like this you are indeed a newbie

Ok all - tell me if I am losing my mind or not....but tonight for the first time I looked at my 2020 JLU Rubicon from the back (walking back into the garage from getting the mail) and I noticed that it looked like my Jeep was titling ever so slightly to the right. I drove it out of garage and straight as an arrow back in...walked behind it...still looks like it is off angle to the right. Does that sound odd to anyone or has anyone else seen something like this?
I am now wondering if my specific pulling to the right problem has something to do with the Jeep being off center - I am thinking if that is the case...even a few degrees, it could exacerbate the pulling problem?
Anyone have any thoughts/ideas as to why it might be slightly tilting to the right? Shocks, springs, camber, axle?
How full is your tank? A few people have posted about this in the bigger steering thread, and some found a full fuel tank will tilt it to the passenger side.

My driveway is sloped and angled, so it was never able to verify this myself.

See, we can help each other when possible.

Brandon3333

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
How full is your tank? A few people have posted about this in the bigger steering thread, and some found a full fuel tank will tilt it to the passenger side.

My driveway is sloped and angled, so it was never able to verify this myself.

See, we can help each other when possible.
I did check the tank issue both full and nearly empty...still leans right. More than likely a saggy spring or mismatched. Thanks for the suggestion

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I did check the tank issue both full and nearly empty...still leans right. More than likely a saggy spring or mismatched. Thanks for the suggestion
I believe all JLs lean right. I don't know why but if look at the AEV 2.5" lift or come with "Passenger side coil spring shims" to level the Jeep. AEV works closely with Jeep and even makes some OEM parts now or in the past.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your issues:: Yours can be a little complicated because of all the mixed Parts, did you get the right size shocks for your springs? Do you have an adjustable track bar? How much lift did you gain?

I doubt it on the shocks to spring. Yes I have an adjustable track bar by RE. About 3".

But this is my steering back and forth with no adjustment to the direction of the tires.

Is this normal

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I doubt it on the shocks to spring. Yes I have an adjustable track bar by RE. About 3".

But this is my steering back and forth with no adjustment to the direction of the tires.

Is this normal

I wasn’t thinking it was the shocks, I just wanted to make sure you got the correct size shocks and not stock size, or at least drop down brackets.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Is this normal

Mine does the exact same thing when I’m in park or at a stop light. Don’t forget, it’s electronically controlled hydraulic power steering which stiffens and lightens input as engine load increases and decreases. It does this so its easy to maneuver off road, at least that’s the theory behind it. Obviously it’s causing a lot of people a lot of issues but that’s how it operates. But yes mi e does the exact same thing. I’ll post a video of mine tomorrow to show you. You also have a very heavy wheel and tire combo which plays a huge role as well. The stock wheel/tire weigh just under 75lbs and mine current set up weigh 116 so that’s 41lbs so that 82lbs more then the factory system was designed to turn. It’s natural that steering response will lessen with all that additional added weight.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe all JLs lean right. I don't know why but if look at the AEV 2.5" lift or come with "Passenger side coil spring shims" to level the Jeep. AEV works closely with Jeep and even makes some OEM parts now or in the past.
AEV works with Mopar and GM and builds custom vehicles for them, like Shelby does for Ford.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I attached my dealer notes from when they worked on my issue in case anyone cares to see. Dont get me wrong, my steering isnt perfect now- still needs those little constant corrections and is super sensitive to road characteristics but I can live with it in its current state (till there is a major fix or till i fork out some bucks for the PSC). The pulling was my main concern.

20191019_125612.jpg

OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
Ok, update from me, as I mentioned my problem with steering was pulling left and right, even at low speed. other than that it is pretty ok. I took it to the dealer they told me jeep is ok, the problem is the road crown. I have no mechanical experience so I did research and find out road crowns should not affect any car if allignments are all right. I checked tire caster and SUPRISE, it is 10 degrees (should be 4 degrees), and of course, pinion degree is 6 degrees(should be 0? not sure)! it is one of the potential reasons for the cars to pull right or left and wandering steering on highy speed. Also, the toe angle is pretty wrong. I will take it to the dealer and explain to them and wait for them to fix it. Will keep you guys updated

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Thanks for the info.....Yeah, PLEASE keep us posted ! Glad to see some progress with this issue.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ok, update from me, as I mentioned my problem with steering was pulling left and right, even at low speed. other than that it is pretty ok. I took it to the dealer they told me jeep is ok, the problem is the road crown. I have no mechanical experience so I did research and find out road crowns should not affect any car if allignments are all right. I checked tire caster and SUPRISE, it is 10 degrees (should be 4 degrees), and of course, pinion degree is 6 degrees(should be 0? not sure)! it is one of the potential reasons for the cars to pull right or left and wandering steering on highy speed. Also, the toe angle is pretty wrong. I will take it to the dealer and explain to them and wait for them to fix it. Will keep you guys updated
Can you post your alignment because it’s nearly impossible for fixed caster to be literally almost double what it comes woth from the factory.
Ok, update from me, as I mentioned my problem with steering was pulling left and right, even at low speed. other than that it is pretty ok. I took it to the dealer they told me jeep is ok, the problem is the road crown. I have no mechanical experience so I did research and find out road crowns should not affect any car if allignments are all right. I checked tire caster and SUPRISE, it is 10 degrees (should be 4 degrees), and of course, pinion degree

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can you please post up your alignment print out. Caster on our Jeeps is fixed and cannot be adjusted without adding adjustable or longer control arms. My caster is 6 and pinion angle is 0, the higher the caster the lower the pinion angle so that doesn’t make much sense. In fact, to much caster will actually make the Jeep track better and straighter, the negative is it will make the steering feel really stiff. My Jeep is lifted so my caster is higher at 6 which will set pinion angle at 0, optimal for a lifted jeep but not so much for a stock Jeep. Caster range on our Jeeps in stock form should be between 3.8-5.8 and is set fixed by the length of the control arms which dictates the angle of the axle which in turn dictates positive or negative caster. And road crown will not play as much of a role in a passenger vehicle with an independent suspension and street tires but It does however play a huge role in a solid axle vehicle with off-road tires and almost 0 alignment adjustability from the factory. The only adjustment that can be made or our jeeps without adding adjustable suspension components is toe. With that high a pinion angle you would almost certainly have driveline vibration coming from your driveshaft, But again, I can’t see your caster being over 5 let alone 10 from the factory. Please post your alignment sheet so I can look at it and have one of my guys go over it as well. Pinion angle has nothing to do with steering, it has to do with the angle of the driveshaft which comes into play mostly on lifted Jeeps when they flex and or stretch out the suspension off road. The reason pinion angle is important is the driveshaft can come in contact with other components because it’s to short because of the lift. Positive caster. Brightest reason for a wander on a Jeep is to low a caster, improperly inflated tires, road crown and wind conditions. Toe will also not cause a pull or a wander.

Last edited:
OP
OP
azhdar

azhdar

First Name
Azhdar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr
Can you please post up your alignment print out. Caster on our Jeeps is fixed and cannot be adjusted without adding adjustable or longer control arms. My caster is 6 and pinion angle is 0, the higher the caster the lower the pinion angle so that doesn’t make much sense at all. My Jeep is lifted so my caster is higher at 6 which will set pinion angle at 0, optimal for a lifted jeep but not so much for a stock Jeep. Caster range on our Jeeps in stock form should be between 3.8-5.8 and is set fixed by the length of the control arms which dictates the angle of the axle which in turn dictates positive or negative caster. And road crown will not play as much of a role in a passenger vehicle with an independent suspension and street tires but It does however play a huge role in a solid axle vehicle with off-road tires and almost 0 alignment adjustability from the factory. The only adjustment that can be made or our jeeps without adding adjustable suspension components is toe. With that high a pinion angle you would almost certainly have driveline vibration coming from your driveshaft, But again, I can’t see your caster being over 5 let alone 10 from the factory. Please post your alignment sheet so I can look at it and have one of my guys go over it as well.
thanks for the help! for getting the degrees I used an app, I hope I did something wrong if it is something hard or impossible to fix. Bubble level is the pinion angle, plumb line is the caster angle that I got from app. On Monday I will take the car to the Tire Alignment shop for getting exact angles

41D76F53-F458-45DA-8C39-3C225903A2A0.png

FF6610F1-6F4D-4A3A-9192-445A4AF5EBE5.png

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
thanks for the help! for getting the degrees I used an app, I hope I did something wrong if it is something hard or impossible to fix. Bubble level is the pinion angle, plumb line is the caster angle that I got from app. On Monday I will take the car to the Tire Alignment shop for getting exact angles

41D76F53-F458-45DA-8C39-3C225903A2A0.png

FF6610F1-6F4D-4A3A-9192-445A4AF5EBE5.png
The actual gauge that a lot of guys use are almost always wrong, I can’t imagine how off an app is, actually I can because you just posted it. Sorry my friend, I wish it was that easy to figure it out. I actually purchased a lifetime alignment at one of my Firestone dealers so I can check my alignment every time I make a change to the suspension. Like I posted many times I don’t really remember what my jeep drove like in stock form because I lifted it and added 35” tires after driving it only 50 miles, 100 miles on the jeep in total. After the lift and tires my jeep wondered, pulled, fought me just to drive down the street at 20mph, I hated it!! I did find a few things wrong and not properly tightened from the factory, also tire pressure on larger tires that didn’t come on the jeep is a huge guessing game and that was a huge contributing factor to the pulling and wandering on my Jeep. I ended up changing out the lift which had longer control arms to increase castor and through lots of trial and error I found the correct psi for my tires and now my jeep tracks really good. But road and weather conditions will still take me for a ride almost always. We drive the least aerodynamic vehicle on the planet , it’s Nothing more than a box on wheels lol. They are fun, but they can be a headache. I wish you luck my friend.
Sponsored