2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I weighed today. I have a JLURD with a soft top. I am 205 lb and the Jeep was 3/4 full of diesel and 3/4 full of DEF. Scale reads 5200 which gives me another 1000 lbs up to gvwr. Not sure where the 800 lb sticker comes from. Looks like my curb is right at 5000 with fluids in.
May I ask what aftermarket stuff you have on? Hardtop should add 125lbs over a soft top. But this is still substantially lighter than many of the other CAT scale tickets that have been posted here. Trying to wrap my head around the difference.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
May I ask what aftermarket stuff you have on? Hardtop should add 125lbs over a soft top. But this is still substantially lighter than many of the other CAT scale tickets that have been posted here. Trying to wrap my head around the difference.

Thanks.
I am 100% stock.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am 100% stock.
Thank you.

So, 5k stock starting weight.
Hardtop: 125 (5125)
Rock rails: 75 (5200)
Winch: 75 (5275)
35" tires: 100 (5375)
Wheels: 50 (5425)
rear door reinforcement: 35 (5460)
Lights & Electronics: 25 (5485)
Roof Rack: 30 (5515)
Lift w/adj control arms & track bars: 45 (5560)
Rescue/safety gear & Tools: 50 (5610)

That would be a pretty tame as driven set-up. Add two people and you are approaching GVWR

Then go a little wilder
Aluminum Belly Armor: 80 (5690)
Front and rear bumpers: 75 (5765)
On-board Air: 15 (5780)
Iron knuckles: 50 (5830)
Steering Brace: 10 (5840)
2.5" Shocks: 50 (5890)

Now add two people and we are over GAWR and probably over GVWR. Add a family and gear and you are probably 200 - 400 lbs over GVWR. Just drives home the need to squeeze every possible pound out of load. Aluminum when possible, good load planning, limiting aftermarket bling. The 37" tires with bead lockers, steel bumpers and steel belly armor, etc etc could easily add 250 -350 pounds over the list above. That would take you to GVWR with nobody in the vehicle.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thank you.

So, 5k stock starting weight.
Hardtop: 125 (5125)
Rock rails: 75 (5200)
Winch: 75 (5275)
35" tires: 100 (5375)
Wheels: 50 (5425)
rear door reinforcement: 35 (5460)
Lights & Electronics: 25 (5485)
Roof Rack: 30 (5515)
Lift w/adj control arms & track bars: 45 (5560)
Rescue/safety gear & Tools: 50 (5610)

That would be a pretty tame as driven set-up. Add two people and you are approaching GVWR

Then go a little wilder
Aluminum Belly Armor: 80 (5690)
Front and rear bumpers: 75 (5765)
On-board Air: 15 (5780)
Iron knuckles: 50 (5830)
Steering Brace: 10 (5840)
2.5" Shocks: 50 (5890)

Now add two people and we are over GAWR and probably over GVWR. Add a family and gear and you are probably 200 - 400 lbs over GVWR. Just drives home the need to squeeze every possible pound out of load. Aluminum when possible, good load planning, limiting aftermarket bling. The 37" tires with bead lockers, steel bumpers and steel belly armor, etc etc could easily add 250 -350 pounds over the list above. That would take you to GVWR with nobody in the vehicle.
Agreed! Most built jeeps will be over GVWR, especially when set up for camping.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
If I could ask a general axle question- you guys seem well qualified to answer: in terms of GAWR, does the unsprung weight count against the load capacity? In other words, would the tire/wheel/suspension/axle weight itself eat into the weight capacity of the axle rating? I’m trying to wrap my head around the seemingly marginal payload capacity of the JL diesel and the 6200lb GVWR. It would make logical sense to me in terms of payload capacity that the 3500lb rated D44 on the stock would account for what’s loaded on the frame above.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If I could ask a general axle question- you guys seem well qualified to answer: in terms of GAWR, does the unsprung weight count against the load capacity? In other words, would the tire/wheel/suspension/axle weight itself eat into the weight capacity of the axle rating? I’m trying to wrap my head around the seemingly marginal payload capacity of the JL diesel and the 6200lb GVWR. It would make logical sense to me in terms of payload capacity that the 3500lb rated D44 on the stock would account for what’s loaded on the frame above.
Yes, your unsprung weight does count for GAWR. I had the same question a couple years ago...never worried about it with my Ram 2500 Cummins, never even got near my ratings so didn't put much thought into it when I bought my 2020 JLURD. As I was looking over specs shortly after getting it home, those very very tight numbers jumped out at me. Asked the same question, got the same answer, then looked it up to confirm. GAWR is accounting for all weight, sprung and unsprung.

Since then I have been on a "Keep Your Diesel Jeep Light" soapbox. Us lots of aluminum, think about what you add... Even doing that, a well equipped JLURD with a couple adults in it, some camping gear, basic recovery / rescue gear, basic tools, and a cooler is going to be at or over GAWR. Just really no two ways about it.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ye
Yes, your unsprung weight does count for GAWR. I had the same question a couple years ago...never worried about it with my Ram 2500 Cummins, never even got near my ratings so didn't put much thought into it when I bought my 2020 JLURD. As I was looking over specs shortly after getting it home, those very very tight numbers jumped out at me. Asked the same question, got the same answer, then looked it up to confirm. GAWR is accounting for all weight, sprung and unsprung.

Since then I have been on a "Keep Your Diesel Jeep Light" soapbox. Us lots of aluminum, think about what you add... Even doing that, a well equipped JLURD with a couple adults in it, some camping gear, basic recovery / rescue gear, basic tools, and a cooler is going to be at or over GAWR. Just really no two ways about it.
Yea- makes sense. My biggest concern is not snapping or breaking an axle component if at/near/over the weight limit. I get the rest of the breaking, cornering, cooking, power, etc stuff. More or less not wanting to flex an axle. I suppose trusses would help ?

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Ye

Yea- makes sense. My biggest concern is not snapping or breaking an axle component if at/near/over the weight limit. I get the rest of the breaking, cornering, cooking, power, etc stuff. More or less not wanting to flex an axle. I suppose trusses would help ?
There is always a limiting factor for the weight rating. May be brakes, may be axles, may be center of gravity etc. weight ratings are nothing to mess with. Most built Jeeps loaded for a trip are overweight. Shoot, some unloaded Jeeps are probably overweight. Smart to ask the questions. Your limiting factor is always the first rating you trip.

geoff

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Ye

The best rule of thumb which I'm always trying to improve, try not to spin the tires. Don't send it. Some do and you get a big round of applause until things snap and then you get a "oh crap" $$..... Always brake and accelerate using left and right foot simultaneously together, and use the manual trans selector, ALWAYS while in 4low. . With the right tires, aired down, the Dana 44s should be adequate for 90% of your off-road Adventures. If you could afford it Clayton suspension for the diesel is the best. I can't, so I went with the runner-up, Metalcloak. The engineers built this JL Diesel exceptional. It will serve you well. There always could be improvements but big brother and government standards prevent the engineers from achieving this, including money which everyone is quick to complain about. That's why the aftermarket industry is as big as it is. Throwing 30k at a $65,000 JL Diesel is very common for those needed improvements based on your particular needs or wishes. If it could be done and the price was $90,000 everyone would get on their soapbox and complain.

Sponsored

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best rule of thumb which I'm always trying to improve, try not to spin the tires. Don't send it. Some do and you get a big round of applause until things snap and then you get a "oh crap" $$..... Always brake and accelerate using left and right foot simultaneously together, and use the manual trans selector, ALWAYS while in 4low. . With the right tires, aired down, the Dana 44s should be adequate for 90% of your off-road Adventures. If you could afford it Clayton suspension for the diesel is the best. I can't, so I went with the runner-up, Metalcloak. The engineers built this JL Diesel exceptional. It will serve you well. There always could be improvements but big brother and government standards prevent the engineers from achieving this, including money which everyone is quick to complain about. That's why the aftermarket industry is as big as it is. Throwing 30k at a $65,000 JL Diesel is very common for those needed improvements based on your particular needs or wishes. If it could be done and the price was $90,000 everyone would get on their soapbox and complain.
Thanks for the advice. I do in fact have the COR diesel 2.5 overland lift. Love it. Looked like the right fit for my tastes. I don’t see myself being the “send it” guy, so should be safe there.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Thanks for the advice. I do in fact have the COR diesel 2.5 overland lift. Love it. Looked like the right fit for my tastes. I don’t see myself being the “send it” guy, so should be safe there.
✌

Deleted member 59498

The 3.0 is only like 175 pounds above the 3.6? Seems small to me for the power but am I missing other parts they add?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’m trying to wrap my head around the seemingly marginal payload capacity of the JL diesel and the 6200lb GVWR.
It's worse than that according to the build sheet data for diesels:
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORTGVW Rating - 5800#
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARAGVW Rating - 5900#
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICONGVW Rating - 6100#

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
2022 JLURD with the following weight-related options:

37" BFG KM3's on Jeep XR wheels (Qty 5)
OEM reinforced spare tire carrier
Teraflex Alpha HD spare tire holder
Warn Evo 10S winch on Maximus-3 winch mount
OEM Steel bumpers
LOD Armorlite rock sliders w/steps
Sky One Touch top
2.5" Clayton Overland Lift
Currie Currect-Lync JL Steering System
Full tank of diesel and full tank of DEF
No occupants in the Jeep

Front axle weight: 2955
Rear axle weight: 2670
Total weight: 5625

GVWR: 6100
GAWR Front: 3200
GAWR Rear: 3200

With me, my wife, and 2 big dogs, I'm at GVWR without any gear. I imagine an overland setup could easily be 500 over weight.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight Jee
Sponsored

Last edited: