2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I'll be putting my rig on the scale after my aluminum skid plates go on later this week, but the last time I weighed her with fixed upgrades, she was 5700 lbs (all fluids topped off). When I included tools and recovery gear, she tips the scale at 5,920.
Sponsored

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

My quick math...

Gobi Rack: 90lbs
Warn Winch: 75lbs
Winch Plate: 35lbs
Lights & Bar: 25lbs
Tools: 50lbs
Compressor: 15lbs
Tires: 75lbs
Suspension: 40lbs

So if those weights are anywhere near to close you have added 280lbs of weight...add your 220 and you are at 500lbs. That should be 300lbs below cargo weight capacity. Yet you are 40lbs over GAWR on the front and only 20lbs under on the rear and you are 120lbs over GVWR. Either my numbers are way off or there is more weight hiding in there some place.

My take away from my JLURD is how easy it is to go way over GVWR. Add 325lbs for wife and a couple kids, (6545), a cooler / frig and some camping gear...say 100lbs (6645), rotopax fuel and water 45lbs (6690), and a change of clothes or two for everyone, 20lbs (6710) and the vehicle is 610lbs over GVWR for a pretty basic take the family out to the mountains trip.
Awesome math, and it's probably close. 150ish pounds in rockslide engineering steps and skids, a couple of car seats, hitch skid, random crap, and it gets closer. Subtract the front bumper ends and some gas and def and its a little off again. Conclusion is the same.. not hard to exceed weight. I've been loaded down with family and a rack full of camping gear. Guessing the Clayton Overland lift is really the difference in handling at this point. Planning to truss and gusset the axles before jumping up to 37s for this reason too.

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
Holy balls that is hefty. If that is all you had and no extra gear on board, I hate to see what some of these "overlanders" are running weight wise.
Wonder what it weighed on this cub scout camping trip with the family? :)

6000lbs + 450-500 lbs family of 4 + x00 in gear, food etc

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight 20211114_100254

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Awesome math, and it's probably close. 150ish pounds in rockslide engineering steps and skids, a couple of car seats, hitch skid, random crap, and it gets closer. Subtract the front bumper ends and some gas and def and its a little off again. Conclusion is the same.. not hard to exceed weight. I've been loaded down with family and a rack full of camping gear. Guessing the Clayton Overland lift is really the difference in handling at this point. Planning to truss and gusset the axles before jumping up to 37s for this reason too.
Yeah, i plan on doing truss and gusset at the first opportunity...plus Klein knuckles and RCVs. That should provide some extra axle capacity. Then maybe brakes and cooling...figure that combined with my Clayton and I could probably push to 6800 or so...at least for traveling.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
For reference my stock '21 JLUR with pretty much all options (3.6 eTorque, Tow Package, both safety groups, SOT, Steel bumpers, tailgate reinforcement, trail rail kit, etc.) was 4900lbs with a full tank of gas and nobody in it. The other half's stock '21 JLU 80th edition 3.6 eTorque with almost the same options as mine (minus bumpers, leather, and trail rail kit) and soft top was 4560lbs. Both weights are from the local CAT scale.

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Great info here but wha’ts the bottom line? Are people having issues with adding weight or just discussing it?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Great info here but wha’ts the bottom line? Are people having issues with adding weight or just discussing it?
Do you mean are diesel jeeps currently snapping drive lines, bending axles, having control, or over heat issues, etc traceable back to weight....not that I am aware of at the moment. However, are diesels regularly being used at or over GAWR and GVWR, sometimes way over....yes. Does that create the potential for real problems...yes.

As there is not much official info on diesel weights and usage, a small group of us on this forum are trying to figure out just what kind of weights diesel jeeps are being used at, compared to non-diesel versions, and from there...what does that mean for such things as axle, suspension, and steering longevity, vehicle control, suspension upgrades, axle reinforcement, etc.

Reactions: DGT

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Do you mean are diesel jeeps currently snapping drive lines, bending axles, having control, or over heat issues, etc traceable back to weight....not that I am aware of at the moment. However, are diesels regularly being used at or over GAWR and GVWR, sometimes way over....yes. Does that create the potential for real problems...yes.

As there is not much official info on diesel weights and usage, a small group of us on this forum are trying to figure out just what kind of weights diesel jeeps are being used at, compared to non-diesel versions, and from there...what does that mean for such things as axle, suspension, and steering longevity, vehicle control, suspension upgrades, axle reinforcement, etc.
I get that, especially for those adding lots of weight in mods. I'm not crapping on the discussion in general. I'm wondering that if, given the info being discussed and how many people operate at and over GAWR/GVWR, are people having issues?

I haven't seen people with weight-specific problems (yet). Confirming not just for those who always run heavy but also for the rest of us, like me, who will only occasionally be up that high. (Winch, side steps, sometimes loaded up with gear and people).

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Next Venture Motorsport Aluminum skid plates have now been installed, though I opted for the UHWM feature. The net weight increase ended up at 80 lbs, but I think it's worth the added protection on the exhaust system components . . .

This is the latest CAT scale ticket . . . full diesel and DEF tanks, no one inside the vehicle when measurement taken . . .

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight lo rez

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
@AZ-Chris Thanks for sharing your numbers as well. A family a 5 trying to take a weekend trip is going to tip the scales. I'm sure it handles it better than the 3.6 will though.

Sponsored

Rolling heavy

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si coupe, 2017 honda civic EXLHB,
2022 JLU Willy's Diesel. Weighed it at cert dump scale. Vehicle is brand new ordered options HT, Cold Weather, 8.4 Prem audio, Conv. Group. All fluids full no driver 4980#.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
This is all pretty scary. No mods can change the legal GVWR. Can the jeep handle the weight, for sure. However it never will be technically legal to drive overweight. I went soft top for this reason. I will try to run through a scale this weekend to see what I weigh. This may be good motivation to hit the gym ;).

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
2022 JLURD, hard top, steel bumpers, LED lighting, cold weather package, tow package, gorilla glass, trail cam. Bone stock, full diesel, full DEF, 25 miles on the odometer, no people or animals on board.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight JLURD stock weight ticket

Interestingly enough, it came VERY close to the running weight of my 2020 JLUR Pentastar/6-speed manual with a full tank of gas, roof rack, 35" tires, winch, and all my normal interior stuff I carry. This isn't my camping weight, this is just my "going to town" weight.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight JLUR running weight ticket

The gasser JLUR is being returned to stock in the next couple weeks as I get the time and everything on her is being transferred to the JLURD. I intent to reweigh both vehicles and thus be able to tell how much crap I'm really carrying on the day to day and also EXACTLY how much weight difference between a gasser/manual tranny JL and a diesel JL equipped near-exactly the same (the only differences being the gorilla glass and trail cam on the JLURD that isn't on the JLUR).

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Diesel Curb Weight IMG_5519

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

One point that might not have been realized is that there are different GVWRs for different types of diesel Wranglers:
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORTGVW Rating - 5800#
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARAGVW Rating - 5900#
2022 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICONGVW Rating - 6100#

I pulled this data from existing build sheets. Those are all of the combinations (at least from December's build sheets).

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I weighed today. I have a JLURD with a soft top. I am 205 lb and the Jeep was 3/4 full of diesel and 3/4 full of DEF. Scale reads 5200 which gives me another 1000 lbs up to gvwr. Not sure where the 800 lb sticker comes from. Looks like my curb is right at 5000 with fluids in.
Sponsored