2020 JLUR Cruise Control Issue

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
I picked up my 2020 JLUR the other day and wile driving home i decided to try out everything I could to make sure function was correct. One of those this was my cruise control. So I turned on the cruise control, I set me speed and everything seemed fine until I held down the SET+ sign to accelerate to the speed I desired. I assumed that when I let go the jeep would stop accelerating and hold at the new speed because that is what every vehicle I have ever driven with cruise control did. This jeep did not It took off like I was in a drag race and continued to accelerate forcing me to step on the brake to get it to stop. Took it to the dealer and after looking at it told me there was nothing wrong with it.The owners manual (page 241) says:

"If the button is continually pushed, the set
speed will continue to increase until the
button is released, then the new set speed
will be established."

My jeep does not do this it continually accelerates at 5mph per "tick". On page 248 it does reference a different outcome while holding SET+ if you have adaptive cruise control which I do not have.

speed will continue to increase in 5 mph
increments until the button is released.
The increase in set speed is reflected in the
instrument cluster display."

Has anyone seen this? Ill summarize with some details below.

2020 JLU Rubicon
Auto 3.6
I DO NOT have adaptive cruise control
Accelerates at 5mph per "tick"
Buddy has a 2020 JT Gladiator that does not continue to accelerate like mine does, his accelerates at 1mph per "tick"
Both do not have ACC

Thanks

My JLU-might have held a bit longer on the button but you get the idea

Buddy's JT
Sponsored

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You don't hold onto the top middle button. At least I never do. Keep pressing it for each +1 MPH increment. Your Jeep kept accelerating because by holding onto the button you went to a speed far above what you really wanted especially if it went to 5MPH increments. Press for each increment you want +1 at a time or accelerate to the speed you want and then set cruise control. On the digital cluster you will also see the speed you set it to so if you're going 65 MPH and set CC to 70 MPH you'll see 70 MPH at the bottom of the cluster. My JKU was no different except there wasn't a digital display showing what I set CC to.

OP
OP
Cmace22

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Every vehicle I've ever driven you can hold accelerate or the (+) down until you reach the desired speed then release for the cruise control to hold. Like I said my buddy's gladiator does this, not my JL though.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You don't hold onto the top middle button. At least I never do. Keep pressing it for each +1 MPH increment. Your Jeep kept accelerating because by holding onto the button you went to a speed far above what you really wanted especially if it went to 5MPH increments. Press for each increment you want +1 at a time or accelerate to the speed you want and then set cruise control. On the digital cluster you will also see the speed you set it to so if you're going 65 MPH and set CC to 70 MPH you'll see 70 MPH at the bottom of the cluster. My JKU was no different except there wasn't a digital display showing what I set CC to.
Every vehicle I've ever driven you can hold accelerate or the (+) down until you reach the desired speed then release for the cruise control to hold. Like I said my buddy's gladiator does this, not my JL though.
This isn't rocket science. The speed the CC is set to is on the digital display. If you're going 65 MPH but set CC to 70 MPH on the digital display you're going to accelerate to 70MPH even if you let go of the button while going 65 MPH. The speed you're going when you let go is irrelevant the CC will go to what it's set to. Don't hold onto the button.

OP
OP
Cmace22

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
LOL not sure where I said I didnt understand what was happening or how to use it based on what its doing, my question is why. So you are saying the manual is wrong then. Got it, thanks

will be established."

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
LOL not sure where I said I didnt understand what was happening or how to use it based on what its doing, my question is why. So you are saying the manual is wrong then. Got it, thanks

will be established."
If you're going 65 MPH but set CC to 70 MPH on the digital display you're going to accelerate to 70MPH even if you let go of the button while going 65 MPH. The speed you're going when you let go is irrelevant the CC will go to what it's set to.

I've said what the manual reads but considering you can't figure out the cruise control you've had since your 2017 JKU it's not too surprising you lack reading comprehension aswell. The "new set speed" is not the speed the vehicle is going when you let go of the button. "The new set speed" is still what the CC MPH is set to on the digital display when the button is let go of. The speed you're going when you let go is irrelevant. Your error is assuming the "new set speed" in the manual is the speed you're going when you let go of the button when it's still referring to the speed you've pressed up to that's read on the digital display.

OP
OP
Cmace22

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
I've said what the manual reads but considering you can't figure out the cruise control you've had since your 2017 JKU it's not too surprising you lack reading comprehension aswell. The "new set speed" is not the speed the vehicle is going when you let go of the button. "The new set speed" is still what the CC MPH is set to on the digital display when the button is let go of. The speed you're going when you let go is irrelevant. Your error is assuming the "new set speed" in the manual is your present speed when it's still referring to the speed you've pressed up to that's read on the digital display.
Wow what a classless response, thank you.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Wow what a classless response, thank you.
You suggested the dealer was wrong, lied about your JK and friends JT being different then gave a smartass answer in response to me helping you. You did not deserve class.

OP
OP
Cmace22

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
WOW

1. Sorry for making you feel like you had to defend my dealers honor I guess
2. I didnt lie about anything. Ill post up a link you can view if you'd like
3. You havent helped at all buddy

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
WOW

1. Sorry for making you feel like you had to defend my dealers honor I guess
2. I didnt lie about anything. Ill post up a link you can view if you'd like
3. You havent helped at all buddy
1. Being a smart ass again is a poor look when you don’t even understand something as basic as cruise control.
2. I owned a 2014 for 5 years and have driven in plenty of JKs. The CC was identical to my JL in all of them. You’re telling me you have a unicorn JK?
3. I kindly explained to you how CC works with non ACC Wranglers. Not wanting to believe the truth doesn’t mean I didn’t help.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
*grabs popcorn*
Lol :like: I really should stop replying as this thread is useless. It’s just astonishing to me that someone asks for help, receives help/an explanation and then acts like a smartass cause his assumption was wrong.

OP
OP
Cmace22

Cmace22

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Lol :like: I really should stop replying as this thread is useless. It’s just astonishing to me that someone asks for help, receives help/an explanation and then acts like a smartass cause his assumption was wrong.

Video is of buddy's JT. It stops accelerating when the SET+ is released..... Like the manual states.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Video is of buddy's JT. It stops accelerating when the SET+ is released..... Like the manual states.

Says video has to be given access. More importantly I hope it shows what the CC speed is set to as that’s what the speed will be.