Sponsored

2020 JLUR Axle Fluid

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
Can someone tell me what the factory recommended fluid specs are for my Rubicon? Ive attached a picture of the window sticker to identify the Axles

Thanks in advance:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Axle Fluid 2020RubiAxle
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Can someone tell me what the factory recommended fluid specs are for my Rubicon? Ive attached a picture of the window sticker to identify the Axles

Thanks in advance:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Axle Fluid 2020RubiAxle
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR Axle Fluid 1629914088815

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
75W-90 in the front and same in the rear unless you are towing, then it is 75W-140 in the rear.

More important than viscosity or brand or synthetic or conventional is frequent changes early in the axles life. These axles generate a ton of wear metals and you want to get those out sooner than later.

Since you have a Rubicon you also have electronic locking differentials and the issue with those is the sensors on the inside can fill with oil and short out. There's a post here on how you can take those and pot them with epoxy to keep the oil out of them to prevent failures.

OP
OP
goochman

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - I looked at the owners guide and the Front M210 is what threw me off. The M220 seemed obvious. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks - I looked at the owners guide and the Front M210 is what threw me off. The M220 seemed obvious. Thanks for the info!
@goochman

Friction Modiifier Additive and whether to use is one of the BIGGEST concerns (a very important concern) to most.... along with the proper weight fluid for front an rear..

Don't fret / have angst over the use of friction modifier additive and whether your JL does or does not need it...

Just be 100% sure to use a fluid that has the additive already in it...

IF your JL needs the additive then you have it... IF, your JL does not need the additive it is absolutely aok and commonplace to use a fluid with additive, even if your JL does not require/need it.

Do read at the thread I mentioned earlier... you will be glad you did.... Will save you time, $ and from screwing up.. 8-)

OP
OP
goochman

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You just answered my question - I dont see Trac-Loc on my build sheet so not sure if I needed the friction modifier. Ill get it for the rear just in case - thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You just answered my question - I dont see Trac-Loc on my build sheet so not sure if I needed the friction modifier. Ill get it for the rear just in case - thanks!
@goochman

DO, take the time to read at the thread mentioned.. especially the say 7 pages of that thread..
IF you do not you will spend lots more $ then necessary... There is a way to buy fluid/weights that saves you lots..

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Trac Lock is the LSD, you have a locker.

OP
OP
goochman

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more question - so I wanted to go with the suggested fluids in the owners manual - for the front it calls for 75W/85. I couldnt find any Valvoline so I purchased what I thought was the MOPAR gear oil for the front. This is what got delivered:

Mopar Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram 2 Quarts SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant OEM - ‎68210057AB

I cant find anything from MOPAR which is listed as 75W-85 "Gear Oil", so I assume this is the fluid I need for the Front Diff on my 2020 correct?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify to all that read this thread...

For those that go with Mopar fluids and your JL/JT needs/requires Friction Modifier Additive, then you must also but the additive and add it to the differentials.

To me you are doing yourself no favor going with Mopar branded fluids.... Pricey, not as good as other non-Mopar offerings, etc....

Suggest guys/gals read carefully at the link given earlier in this thread..

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
To clarify to all that read this thread...

For those that go with Mopar fluids and your JL/JT needs/requires Friction Modifier Additive, then you must also but the additive and add it to the differentials.

To me you are doing yourself no favor going with Mopar branded fluids.... Pricey, not as good as other non-Mopar offerings, etc....

Suggest guys/gals read carefully at the link given earlier in this thread..

Yep; no need to over think it. Back in the day, I was always a die-hard OEM fan of everything and back in the day the OEMs owned the processes end-to-end for their products and in some cases produced it themselves. Fast forward and today, the OEM makes very few maintenance parts themselves and outsources nearly all of it.

FCA does not make any fluid for anything they sell, someone else does, so there is little justification to pay more for fluid that can be purchased cheaper and in nearly every case, the aftermarket fluid is better than the OEM. The only exception that I can think of is ATF+4 due to the very strict specifications it carries.

OP
OP
goochman

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did read the other thread - Im going Valvoline in the rear but figured if they had a MOPAR brand for the front Id get it. Can someone confirm what I bought is the gear oil for the front. It says "Axle Lubricant".

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yep; no need to over think it. Back in the day, I was always a die-hard OEM fan of everything and back in the day the OEMs owned the processes end-to-end for their products and in some cases produced it themselves. Fast forward and today, the OEM makes very few maintenance parts themselves and outsources nearly all of it.

FCA does not make any fluid for anything they sell, someone else does, so there is little justification to pay more for fluid that can be purchased cheaper and in nearly every case, the aftermarket fluid is better than the OEM. The only exception that I can think of is ATF+4 due to the very strict specifications it carries.
Even the ATF+4 can be had from Amsoil for less than the Mopar variant.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I did read the other thread - Im going Valvoline in the rear but figured if they had a MOPAR brand for the front Id get it. Can someone confirm what I bought is the gear oil for the front. It says "Axle Lubricant".
Yes, axle lubricant=gear oil.
Sponsored