2020RubiSting

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4 Door Rubicon
Hey everyone,

I have been to multiple shops starting to lose patience. As stated jlur 2020 rocksport 3.5 gamechanger on the jeep 35" tires. I have went through everything except torqueing pitman check and ball joints. Wheels rotate and balance/ 2 alignments. All bolts/nuts checked. My options are ball joint check and possibly changing caster to 7°. I have seen that may help. Any help is greatly wanted. Additionally using angle finder on diff. And axle what should my angles be for 7° I know they run 6° off.

My additional mods are synergy full steering set up and teraflex 9550 steering stabilizer.

Appreciate any help or thoughts.
Sponsored

OP
OP

2020RubiSting

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4 Door Rubicon
Any thoughts? Checked all bolts and ball joints. Would the track bar /drag link pictured below a concern? As they are not perfect in terms of parallel?

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I had the same issue and had luck moving caster actually down to 4.5, but still had a bit of a shimmy when hitting bumps. What finally took care of it was upgrading to steer smarts tie rod and drag link. Sucks to have spent all the money on the lift to have DW... hope you can figure yours out without having to spend more $$.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I have GC 3.5 and 40” MTRs without a stabilizer, drives straight and no wobble . Caster is 6° and 1/16 toe in .

Sponsored

OP
OP

2020RubiSting

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4 Door Rubicon
Well things got a little dicey on the freeway today. Steering got real flighty. Got home and drag link at knuckle looks busted and locked at full articulation. Also the uca axle bushing looks completely unseated. Anyone thinking the bushing could be the cause? Nervous dragging is just a failure from the dw.

20210216_195939.jpg

20210216_200019.jpg

20210216_195800.jpg

20210216_195754.jpg

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well things got a little dicey on the freeway today. Steering got real flighty. Got home and drag link at knuckle looks busted and locked at full articulation. Also the uca axle bushing looks completely unseated. Anyone thinking the bushing could be the cause? Nervous dragging is just a failure from the dw.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR 4 DOOR metal cloak gamechanger 3.5- DEATH WOBBLE AT 40 TO 50 20210216_195754

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLUR 4 DOOR metal cloak gamechanger 3.5- DEATH WOBBLE AT 40 TO 50 20210216_195754

That one UCA bushing is perfectly normal, as the housing isn't deep enough for the bushing to be seated in there all the way. Now, I'm not saying the actual bushing couldn't be the culprit, it can be if the rubber is torn up, metal sleeve has ripped from the bushing, etc. However, in my experience, a bad front UCA bushing in the axle housing generally will exhibit a shimmy and not full on death wobble.

Your Synergy drag link joints don't look busted. It will have move some front to rear rotation (at least mine does) and shouldn't be the actual cause of the death wobble.

I'd check to see if there is ANY play in the ball joints, seems those are becoming more of an issue as these JL's are getting some time and mileage on them. The added stress and leverage of larger and heavier don't do them any good either.

I'd also check to make sure all of the front control arms and track bar are torqued properly. Unfortunately, the best way is to have the weight of the Jeep on the suspension, then loosen all of the bolts and re-torque.

Check to make sure there's no play in the track bar bushings or at the mounts.

If you are having true death wobble, then something is allowing the front axle to move slightly and under the right circumstances will cause it to shake uncontrollably to the point you have to damn near come to a stop to get the front axle back under control.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have been chasing this on mine for a while also. I agree with Limeaid, ball joints have been failing at very low mileage, mine at 12k were not shot but I would never have guessed they would be as loose as they were. If you find the cause please update the post.

Zaskar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Hey everyone,

I have been to multiple shops starting to lose patience. As stated jlur 2020 rocksport 3.5 gamechanger on the jeep 35" tires. I have went through everything except torqueing pitman check and ball joints. Wheels rotate and balance/ 2 alignments. All bolts/nuts checked. My options are ball joint check and possibly changing caster to 7°. I have seen that may help. Any help is greatly wanted. Additionally using angle finder on diff. And axle what should my angles be for 7° I know they run 6° off.

My additional mods are synergy full steering set up and teraflex 9550 steering stabilizer.

Appreciate any help or thoughts.
If possible change the steering stabilizer back to the stock unit. I just went through this on mine (3.5 gamechanger and HD steering kit). I'm at 5.5 degrees caster 1/16 toe in. I have had the TSB for the steering box completed before installing the metalcloak components- wanted to be sure FCA had it right before making any changes.

I had a slight wobble after installing the gamechanger, checked and torqued everything again, same issue. Called Metalcloak and went back to stock stabilizer at thier recommendation. Wobble is gone, drives great now.

I have a hunch that FCA has been making changes to the steering system (steering box, stabilizer, control software) to fix the wandering issue, and that has something to do with what I had after installing the metalcloak. I have a friend with a 2019 exact set up, no wobble at all. He has not had the TSB performed to his. Again this is a hunch.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

2020RubiSting

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4 Door Rubicon
Thanks for all the comments. We'll after 4 alignment shops and multiple parts being recommended. I fixed it. I ended up changing a few parts. But I believe my main issue may have been my ball joints. I ended up changing a few parts because this is my DD and couldn't slowly go through it. Buy I also changed out my steering stabilizer and drag link. I believe my death wobble was so violent it busted my joint on the drag and tie rod.... the stock ball joints were very loose feeling. Went to dynatrac.
Sponsored