2020 JLU - Sound system all of a sudden MUFFLED

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So I was driving this morning with my navigation system ON, and all of a sudden the sound got muffled, half way through the route. Tried music ON, and that too was muffled. Parked the car, re-started, and same thing.
Sponsored

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Need more details...

Nav voice guidance on? Speed adjusted volume? Tazer JL installed? Muffled volume persist even with navigation off? Music via phone or FM/XM?

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Nav voice guidance was on. No speed adjusted volume - Dont know how to, if I have it ON. Dont have Tazer. Muffled vol persists, with Nav off. Music tried with FM and via phone, and both muffled

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sound system that is standard, and came with the jeep. I did not modify the sound system at all.

Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
There are three different radios, the 8.4 that uses Alpine speakers and amp that are from factory. Since you have a Sahara, you could have any of the three. Easiest way to tell is if you have a subwoofer on the passenger side in the rear, behind the rear seat.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I have a subwoofer on the passenger side in the rear, behind the rear seat. Does this help in anyway, diagnosing the problem ?

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone?

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Had a similar issue. I have the 8,4 with NAV and the subwoofer. One day out of the blue while driving, the sound sounded garbled like an FM station not 100% tuned-in from an old dial radio. Made an appt with the dealer for the next week. Note that I was 6 months out of the 3yr global warranty. Drove the Jeep next morning, everything fixed itself so I cancelled the appt - I would have had to fight to get some sort of "deal" - the head unit is over $2,000!!! I suspect an OTA software update.

But I also have been plagued with radio gremlins. I'm usually tuned to SiriusXM, and sometimes at start, the radio is on but no sound works - you can change the station, ply with the volume (the sound level bar moves and everything) but just no sound. From fooling around I found that if I cycle the radio to AM, the sound starts again on all bands.

Today I got the worst bug - again, I'm out of warranty for the past 9 months... The head unit is dead. Luckily all my HVAC buttons work, but no display. Some had issues where they had the black screen but still had the temp and icons popping up - me, nada. So I can have AC, but I have no idea what temp I put it on.

I tried to diagnose and reset the unit by removing the fuse, and I do get the welcome screen but it turns black again with not even ac temp showing. I fudged with the system enough (removing the fuse and tried holding the on/off and band selection buttons simultaneously) enough times (I even chipped the fuse puller!) that when I pull and reisntall the fuse, I now at least get a generic screen uConnect without the animation that stay on for 3 seconds before shutting down. I suspect and OTA software update that failed which prevent the unit from completely booting. I'll start a fresh tread on that. I have not tried to unhook the batteries yet, simply because of the pain to reach the aux battery under the fuse box. That will be the next try.

I think I'm at the end of my batteries life (aux and main) - I'm reaching 4 years. I'm wondering if that could be the issue.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pat, I am assuming you have a 2020, and that you have owned it for close to 4 yrs. How did the software upgrade come about, and how many clicks? Is the issue only with your sound system, or any other?

Sponsored

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Pat, I am assuming you have a 2020, and that you have owned it for close to 4 yrs. How did the software upgrade come about, and how many clicks? Is the issue only with your sound system, or any other?
I have a 2019 Sahara, leased in Aug ’19, which I plan to buy back at the end of it. I’m at 45 mth /63,000 km so exceeded the 3 yr/60,000km bumper to bumper. Honestly, I witnessed one OTA only. The issue is with the whole unit - sound system, nav, climate control… even the compass reading in the instrument cluster does not work. I still have uage of the physical climate control buttons, but I just don’t know the temp settings.

Went to the dealer today and got some very good news. They will goodwill the unit in exchange for me paying the time To swap the radios.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How the hell the whole unit got screwed up all of a sudden - weird.
Glad to know though, the dealership helped. Lol, we need more of such dealerships.
Sponsored