Sponsored

2020 JLU Sahara Order, Engine "options"?

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CRV - 2003 Ford Expedition
Hey all, been lurking for a while, this is my first post, so hello! I don't know if this is the proper section, but I ran into something interesting.

I am looking to buy my first wrangler. I had thought about searching for a leftover 2019 Sahara, but the dealer I was talking to was saying I might be able to get a similar or better deal on an Order. So I had them run the numbers for me. Turns out they were coming within about 2 grand, so we figure, sure, lets get a new one. I start looking at the specs and I had wanted the 3.6L V6, but the build sheet has the 3.6L V6 with eTorque, which I don't want.

So I ask the dealer about it and they told me that with the automatic transmission, that is the only motor available to currently order with the Sahara, but if I went with the standard transmission, I could get the 3.6 without the eTorque.

Standard transmission is not an option at this point unfortunately (I know how to drive a stick, but my wife doesn't want one of our vehicles being a stick....we stay happily married with the auto hahahaha)

I called 2 other dealers and they told me the same exact thing, that is, cannot order 3.6 without eTorgue if it is paired to the automatic trans.

Anyway, my questions are, does anyone have an idea why this is the case?

Do we have any idea if/when the Sahara would be available to order with the 3.6 without eTorque with an auto? I am told by the dealers they think it will become available, just not sure when?

Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, been lurking for a while, this is my first post, so hello! I don't know if this is the proper section, but I ran into something interesting.

I am looking to buy my first wrangler. I had thought about searching for a leftover 2019 Sahara, but the dealer I was talking to was saying I might be able to get a similar or better deal on an Order. So I had them run the numbers for me. Turns out they were coming within about 2 grand, so we figure, sure, lets get a new one. I start looking at the specs and I had wanted the 3.6L V6, but the build sheet has the 3.6L V6 with eTorque, which I don't want.

So I ask the dealer about it and they told me that with the automatic transmission, that is the only motor available to currently order with the Sahara, but if I went with the standard transmission, I could get the 3.6 without the eTorque.

Standard transmission is not an option at this point unfortunately (I know how to drive a stick, but my wife doesn't want one of our vehicles being a stick....we stay happily married with the auto hahahaha)

I called 2 other dealers and they told me the same exact thing, that is, cannot order 3.6 without eTorgue if it is paired to the automatic trans.

Do we have any idea if/when the Sahara would be available to order with the 3.6 without eTorque with an auto? I am told by the dealers they think it will become available, just not sure when?

Thanks for the replies!
Welcome, and congrats on your pending Jeeper status!

Sounds like plan A is worth reconsidering, if you're interested in sticking with the MY19 Sahara. Other than the tweak to the engine line up, the only other changes to the MY20 are auto highbeams and the "Sarge" color due later in the year.

OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think plan A is the route I may take, seeking the leftover. The Mrs. keeps asking why I wouldn't go for a 19 anyway, and honestly the reason is that it is kind of a first year still, with some bugs to be worked out. The hope of course is that the 20 will be trouble free and no hiccups. Also, if the one I have in my mind is still available, I have no idea if its been test driven, and if it has, how many miles, how many of them are hard miles etc.

I don't really care too much about the auto highbeams and the color, because of the "Sarge" is not the color I am looking for anyway. I just can't figure the logic of not allowing the motor to be ordered at this point unless it has the etorque.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I think plan A is the route I may take, seeking the leftover. The Mrs. keeps asking why I wouldn't go for a 19 anyway, and honestly the reason is that it is kind of a first year still, with some bugs to be worked out. The hope of course is that the 20 will be trouble free and no hiccups. Also, if the one I have in my mind is still available, I have no idea if its been test driven, and if it has, how many miles, how many of them are hard miles etc.

I don't really care too much about the auto highbeams and the color, because of the "Sarge" is not the color I am looking for anyway. I just can't figure the logic of not allowing the motor to be ordered at this point unless it has the etorque.
Technically, 2019 is the 2nd model year. 2018 was a bit rough for some, but a lot of bugs have been sorted out with various Technical Service Bulletins. You had mentioned lurking around for a while before joining, as did I, so you've probably read about enough issues to choke a mule. It doesn't get said nearly often enough, but this forum is a magnet for both enthusiasts and people with problems. We are but a very small fraction of a single percent of JL owners. The other well over 99% don't get into it enough to talk about it or don't have an issue to bother joining and pick some brains. If we lived in a society where people stopped to praise the good as often as they bitched about the bad, this forum would probably buckle at the knees and crash from member overload.

My 2019 has been flawless, knock on wood, and I've never been so happy as I am with my baby! Hit multiple dealers and see whats floating around. Its not an impossibility to find something that wasn't test driven, but if you set sights on something with a bit more than factory test miles, its not the end of the world. Also, have you read about the various dealers scattered across the country that offer a few to several percent below invoice? Don't be that sucker that pays full freight. I made 2 five hour round trips to upstate and saved a stupid amount.

Best of luck with the hunt! And don't forget to post pics and to do some bragging when you find her. Hahaha

OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the well wishes!! haha. Solid point on it technically being year 2, I was looking at it as year 1 because of manufacturing the JK alongside the JL. You are absolutely correct about seeing enough issues to choke a mule! It gives one some pause about even getting into one, but that is as you say, the case with pretty much every enthusiast forum out there.

After reading a bit more on the announcement from Jeep about the diesel coming out etc. I finally saw something I hadn't before (maybe I didn't want to), that in the press release, the 3.6. without the eTorque is available in the Sahara, but in parenthesis, it seems to indicate manual transmission only. Now I don't know if that means for the entirety of the model year or what, which is why I joined the forum and wanted to see if anyone else knew the answer.

So if that is the case, that the engine is only going to be available for manual for the entire model year, that absolutely makes my decision easier.

If it is not the case, I may in fact hold out because I am in the good position where I think my current vehicle is getting to the end of its service life, but we aren't there yet so I don't "need" the new vehicle currently and can wait, it isn't an emergency situation in other words.

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
2018, V6 auto and flawless up to 19K!! Early build too, probably should not have said that. Love this V6 with the new 8speed auto, great!

Not a fan of turbo 4 cyl., sometimes I think folks want those or have Turbo just to say they have one, unimpressed?

Good luck whatever you choose!!

Go Jeep!!!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
After reading a bit more on the announcement from Jeep about the diesel coming out etc. I finally saw something I hadn't before (maybe I didn't want to), that in the press release, the 3.6. without the eTorque is available in the Sahara, but in parenthesis, it seems to indicate manual transmission only. Now I don't know if that means for the entirety of the model year or what, which is why I joined the forum and wanted to see if anyone else knew the answer.

So if that is the case, that the engine is only going to be available for manual for the entire model year, that absolutely makes my decision easier.
Correct.

2020 Sahara 3.6 Automatic = with eTorque only

2020 Sahara 3.6 manual = with no eTorque only

Last edited:
OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct.

2020 Sahara Automatic = 3.6 with eTorque only

2020 Sahara manual = 3.6 with no eTorque only
Well that is indeed a bummer. I was hoping I was misinterpreting and that they would offer it without the eTorque in the auto at some point in the model year.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well that is indeed a bummer. I was hoping I was misinterpreting and that they would offer it without the eTorque in the auto at some point in the model year.
I doubt it will happen, at least not for 2020. They just shuffled engines making 2.0 the base and 3.6 the premium motor plus the BSG change

FCA appears to be trying to help differentiate Sahara from other trims by dropping eTorque on Sport & Rubicon and only offering it on Sahara.

They will not pair BSG with the manual transmission.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
2018 here no issues whatsoever.. Just make sure you get the options you want. I wish I got proximity and the cold weather package as neither are really an add on later. My fault for not being better prepared. Was looking at JK's and the JL sucker punched me after driving her upon salesman recommendation. It was all over after that. Love a dirty fighting woman.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
OP, if you're attached to the Sahara trim and insist on getting the 3.6 with ESS and automatic transmission your best bet is a 2019 still on the lot.

If you're not attached to the Sahara trim: The Sport, S and Rubicon trims will be available with 3.6 ESS and automatic transmission.

That being said, the BSG ETorque system is a far better execution of start/stop than the standard ESS system. Smoother restarts, and a little extra oomph of torque off the line.

Reactions: eck

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the replies!
Look for a left over 2018 According to consumer guide report 19.5 % of first year JLU built have not sold even as 2020 are being ordered and sold Best chance for saving and get auto with out eTorque

CorsairJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Look for a left over 2018 According to consumer guide report 19.5 % of first year JLU built have not sold even as 2020 are being ordered and sold Best chance for saving and get auto with out eTorque
I bought a 2018 JLU Sahara from the showroom floor a month ago for over $6500 off list; and lucky enough to have dealership 2 miles from my house, so there was no need to go too far for a good deal. 1K miles and no issues. We’ll see at 10K miles. Had a 2009 JK that I sold in 2017 and JL is a dramatically improved car.

OP
OP

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to post a quick update and see if anyone has heard any changes about the engine selections? Wondering if anyone has a line on whether FCA is going to allow the 3.6 without eTorque and an auto on Sahara trim level? I don't want to get the Rubicon for a few reasons, but I know that the motor is able to be mated to the auto for the Rubicon.

Otherwise, I have been trying to search for threads about a 3.6 with eTorque as a way of a slight review I guess, see what owners are thinking, but have not come across any. Anyone care to comment that has it?

The available wranglers out there from 2018 or 2019 are quite dwindling when optioned the way I'd like, and I'm already "compromising" on color, so that is why I am asking. Maybe I will just have to suck it up and get that motor if I want to get everything else on my list.
Sponsored