First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
So, as the title says I (we, wife and myself) are first time Jeep owners. I have had an itch for a Jeep for years now. I’ve always had lifted trucks. Just something in my blood. As a teenager I did stupid things in my 05 Silverado with 6” lift and 35s. Granted those stupid things came from alcohol...

Little back story for my family and I. We are vanlifers. Love it! We build vans, use them on a trip and sell them. And move on to the next. That’s our business along with wedding filmmakers. My wife says she will “never” not have a van to travel and camp in. We have friends we camp with here in Arkansas that have a Gladiator overland build (he’s got the 6.4 in it as well, what a beast it is!). I’ve tried getting her on board with the RTT. She says no way. It’ll happen soon enough!
Our favorite place to travel has been Sedona. There’s something about it that captivates my whole family. Wife and I and our 2 boys included. So naturally, on our last 3 week trip we took we ended in Sedona. With us renting a Can-Am last time we opted for a Wrangler this time. We rented from MYE and I couldn’t recommend them enough. We originally rented the Jeep for 1 day. But after that first trial, Soldiers Pass and sinkhole, we were hooked. Immediately added another day. I was hook line and sinkered. Wife and the boys were slowly catching on. We did every trail in Sedona besides Outlaw, we did that in the Can-Am last time. My wife was nervous for sure on Broken Arrow, closed eyes and hands firmly gripped. But, she loved it.
We left Sedona feeling “empty”. We told the boys once we got home we would start to look for a Wrangler. I honestly wanted a Gladiator, mainly for the towing capabilities. Well, as we got back into town it all started. My In-laws had their truck being worked on at the dealer, a Jeep-Ram dealer. Their loaner.... a 2020 JLU Rubicon with only 9,000 miles. Fully loaded and all. Spacer lift, etc. it was beautiful. The previous owner only traded it in because she wanted the diesel rubicon. She had bigger tires on it because the stock KO2s still had knobs and numbers on them. Pristine to say the least. When my FIL went to bring the Jeep back to get his truck I told him to talk with the GM about our trade in. A 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 big horn with 200,500 miles on it. New transmission at 175k replaced at said dealership. Truck was a one owner. His price for our truck we couldn’t pass up. Crazily with this market the truck GAINED $6k in a year. We were quoted 9k last year. So... we did what any normal person would do! We ran to the dealer and traded our truck in for the Wrangler. A 2020 JLU Rubicon with now 11,000 miles. We joked with my MIL that she needed to rack up some miles for us to bring that price down lol.
As a family we couldn’t be more excited for these adventures. We plan to find some trails/forest service roads this weekend in Arkansas with the weather being warmer.
And for my wife with the RTT.. well since we were all sick yesterday and being lazy, I had Expedition Overland on repeat yesterday on YouTube..her exact words “I’ll consider it if you find me a nice tent for all 5 of us!”) Wife, me, 2 boys(4&6) and our 8 month old stubborn Golden Retriever..
All that to say, I’m very happy to be on the forum as I’ve been lurking on here and the gladiator forums for months..
I haven’t done a flex pic yet, hopefully to come though. Can’t wait to post more upgrades in the future along with pics.

03761B59-086F-4542-AC6D-7273E77FC5D9.jpeg

E2305B12-1EE2-4539-98CB-72333C77DCFA.jpeg

D1F6495F-3E53-45F9-8243-E6CC7E27984F.jpeg

5A12F41F-9BFF-454A-9002-EB7B1B16E298.jpeg

207CA963-0B53-41B0-88C0-15BDF931C127.jpeg
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Zach,

It sounds like you have the RTT itch. As is well known, every time you want to head out to some trail you're camped close to, clearly you'll have to pack everything back up. Maybe you can practice that a few times and it will probably get old after the novelty runs out.

If a tent isn't a problem, just find a five person sized one and go have a blast. Keep camp and go Jeeping. No constant teardown necessary.

If creature comfort is a must, there are teardrop trailers that may provide you better nirvana, but at what cost? Great tents, easy up and easy down are sub $500 where teardrops are typically upwards of $15K.

Just for reference, here is our (the wife and I) last camp setup. Our tent can easily hold a family of five. No matter what you decide you can only gain experience and grow from there.

Happy trails,
Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker IMG_20200728_190158

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Zach,

It sounds like you have the RTT itch. As is well known, every time you want to head out to some trail you're camped close to, clearly you'll have to pack everything back up. Maybe you can practice that a few times and it will probably get old after the novelty runs out.

If a tent isn't a problem, just find a five person sized one and go have a blast. Keep camp and go Jeeping. No constant teardown necessary.

If creature comfort is a must, there are teardrop trailers that may provide you better nirvana, but at what cost? Great tents, easy up and easy down are sub $500 where teardrops are typically upwards of $15K.

Just for reference, here is our (the wife and I) last camp setup. Our tent can easily hold a family of five. No matter what you decide you can only gain experience and grow from there.

Happy trails,
Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JLU Rubicon. First Jeep. Family memory maker IMG_20200728_190158
Jay, yes I want the RTT. Wife for sure doesn’t want a ground tent. She’s scared a bear will attack lol. I’ve had an itch to build an overland trailer. So that’s a possibility as well. I have all equipment and skills to build one. I definitely don’t want to invest in a sweet patriot camper, but can dream of something like it.

Zach

@steadystreamincashios

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I found a guy local to me who has built several overland trailers. I pulled the trigger and am having him build me one. The price was right for me. If you are on Instagram check out @out_of_bounds_trailers. He has some great builds and can help in the idea department. Congrats on your Wrangler purchase.

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
I found a guy local to me who has built several overland trailers. I pulled the trigger and am having him build me one. The price was right for me. If you are on Instagram check out @out_of_bounds_trailers. He has some great builds and can help in the idea department. Congrats on your Wrangler purchase.
Thanks, I will definitely check him out!

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the family Zach! Get yourself some PLASTIC DUCKS and practice your wave!

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Welcome to the family Zach! Get yourself some PLASTIC DUCKS and practice your wave!
Funny you say that... the first day my MIL had the Jeep as a loaner she was at our local Walmart. She got ducked. Jeeps are extremely common in our town we live in.

Thanks, I’m glad to be here

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
These Jeeps attract some attention. At the post office a bit ago and an older woman walks up to me and says “what kind of vehicle is that?” Mention it’s a Jeep Wrangler. She then says “oh, I just bought a bronco (it was a bronco sport) and I like yours way better!”
I like mine way better too!
Then at the gas pump a random stranger proceeds to tell me all his life stories in his old jeeps and friends jeeps. The memories these vehicles make are incredible. And I can’t wait to make my own with my family.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
So, with the weather being 60s the past 2 days I knew we wanted to hit some dirt roads. That got sidelined yesterday with the wife being sick. And she was about 70% today and so I decided we would just hit a scenic route in the Ouchita National Forest, the Winona Scenic Auto Tour. Nothing hard just a gravel road. About an 1/4 of the way down the road my wife said “let’s hit this road, it’s more difficult than this.” Of course the boys and I agreed. First obstacle she started to second guess herself..”are you sure we can do this?!” We are in a wrangler rubicon babe, of course we got this! We had a blast! Looking forward to more. Will post pics later once I get them from my wife’s phone.

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Few from today

C4CACA13-DAC9-4DD3-8E65-EDDCB25DA227.jpeg

7F39012C-66B4-4C8F-AA5E-D85BBD0BEA6F.jpeg

F5FD0CF3-EEE2-450F-8A7C-5E7C1E27820B.jpeg

C24956E6-A15D-4578-8C22-BAB5C0B4E99A.jpeg

D5E8552E-1D32-4E96-9482-C436AC078527.jpeg

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Youngest enjoying the “mud”!

064D7A15-C652-44B1-8D5B-5D3A326A981B.jpeg

Attachments

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Just a few from today with our wintry mix event we have going on.

15951AFD-0786-4F18-A357-262BD5788207.jpeg

353E125B-37D2-4CDE-86DB-E64551AFDCE9.jpeg

1688BEBD-2669-422B-849A-260DFF53FA47.jpeg

8D73030F-74C5-4A33-88DE-DEC992380D85.jpeg

OP
OP
ZCashio

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Washed it today just so we can go camping and riding this weekend with friends in their overland gladiator. Also added a set of Mopar Wheel Locks. Never feel comfortable without these. While I hate the look, definitely worth the piece of mind.
We are possibly going to try parts of the High Water Mark Trail with friends this weekend. They have their Gladiator on 37s so they will go first. The first crossing is moderate as of the time I type this. Obviously snow melt more than likely has the level of the river up. We shall see. But definitely will have pictures and some videos to post after this weekend.

F704136C-829C-4BC7-BA62-6822FAD8A8B5.jpeg

B81303E7-E8AA-45D6-9323-0C29DA78EA95.jpeg
Sponsored