2020 JLRU 2.0 Engine Ticking

mcclurcj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Request some troubleshooting ideas. My 2020 JLRU 2.0 turbo is exhibiting a ticking noise from the engine bay on deceleration from 1600-1500 RPMs. I have taken it to the dealership and they assigned it a star case #101763157. The dealership said it was a normal noise and to keep driving it...which is very disappointing. The noise is very irritating and somewhat embarrassing when you slow down and everyone around can hear it. You can hear the noise very clearly in the attached video. Thoughts? Jeep Cares please help.
Sponsored

Attachments

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Can't play it... seems Windows 10 PC's are missing whatever codec you used.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a WIN 10 desktop. I see nothing. All I hear is a little bit of static. No car related sound in the recording.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Does not sound normal. I would take it to another dealer. Complain complain complain.

OP
OP
mcclurcj

mcclurcj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So sorry trying to convert the file type to make it easier to view but if you download the file first you should be able view it

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcclurcj

mcclurcj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
mcclurcj

mcclurcj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a WIN 10 desktop. I see nothing. All I hear is a little bit of static. No car related sound in the recording.
I uploaded it differently. Try to watch now.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t play on my iPad either.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I would love to ask the technician who said it was normal “What exactly am I hearing then?”

He’d either run for the nearest exit or have to come up with some Grade A bull crap right there on the spot. Either way it’d be immensely entertaining.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Doesn't sound normal either...sounds like something is loose and vibrating against metal, or an air leak of some kind. Would check around and see if all connections are tight in the bay and or underneath.

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hmm. I have noticed that sound decelerating around town too. Noticed it since I bought it over a year ago. I have the hybrid so I assumed it had something to do with that system. I have over 48k now and it has not been a problem. May be an injector noise. There have been several posts about a noise such as this. As far as what has been posted this is a normal noise for the direct injected motors. They sound like an old sewing machine.

OP
OP
mcclurcj

mcclurcj

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xacex interesting you have heard it too. Have you asked the dealer about it at all or just called it a normal?

XACEX

First Name
Shiloh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
From what I have read on this forum it is normal and just an injector bypass noise or something similar. We have high pressure injectors and that pressure has to go somewhere when you let off the gas. I only hear it if I am in an area where the sound can reflect back to me. I'm not concerned about it. If the sound was catastrophic it would have killed my motor long ago. The clip you made sounds like the noise I hear. Kind of like a clicking or high pitch tapping. Not embarrassing to me. We have a crazy motor for a JLU. It makes some different noises than the old ones. If the dealer said it is normal but didn't have an explanation I would ask for whomever made that determination and get clarification on what is making the noise. That way you have piece of mind. An extended warrantee may help in that regard as well. No one that I know of has cracked the 100k mark on these motors in this platform, and only 1 dead from oil issues I have seen. That was self inflicted, and the tear down showed a very robust platform.
Sponsored