2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - paint and speed sensor issues

jpsindy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I just purchased a brand spanking new 2020 JL Unlimited Sport and having issues already. It is my third Jeep and it is very disappointing since all others have been great. When I picked it up I was so excited to only get home and notice serious paint imperfections under the clear coat on the top of passenger side door frame. I called Jeep 800 number and they told me to take it to dealer when possible. I finally got to dealer because of another issue at about 200 miles where my traction control, service 4wd, and service ABS indicator lights came on while driving on highway. The dealer kept vehicle for 2 days and replaced the rear right speed sensor but they didn’t fix the paint imperfections. They said they had to take digital pics of trouble spots and email them to Jeep?!?!? Now I have to wait until they contact me sometime in the future with solutions. What does that mean??? I have this new Jeep and have already been to service department, UGHHHH! Has anyone had these problems or been so annoyed so soon after purchasing a $37k vehicle? Please help...

1206849E-A9A5-4E42-859E-EB23BD2FA49A.jpeg

View attachment 274203

View attachment 274213

A1FD2514-620F-4C9D-A7AB-F6EB5FD1C7B6.jpeg

AAC22EFF-AD0F-4F5A-90B2-A971BE61FA9B.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It does suck when a brand new vehicle has problems. But, it happens to all vehicle brands.

my wife owned a Toyota Camry that we purchased brand new: within a day or two she had a low tire. It was mounted poorly and the bead had an issue. Also, she had a fuel sensor issue (“check engine light”) and maybe a 3rd issue as I recall. All within the first 500 miles.

I had an Audi. A couple of issues with it within a couple hundred miles.

wife had a BWM z3. One issue as I recall within a few hundred miles.

wife now has a Mini. One issue within a day (sensor again, I think). And some paint issues.

all of the cars above (except the Audi) were trouble free after the first couple of hiccups.

so far, my new Jeep, zero issues in 8 weeks.

I view “debug” issues on new vehicles as fairly common. They are a PITA but I don’t see them as predictive of “lemons”.... oh, that Camry? It’s a 2000 and still in the (extended) family. Has 300k miles on it or something and still runs like a champ.

OP
OP
jpsindy

jpsindy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your reply and insight. I understand but still embarrassing when showing off new Jeep and there are paint issues in such a prevalent place. Dealer said they would make it right but pain in the butt to have to wait for corporate to assess and whatever they have to do. I truly don’t even know.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Calm down. While it sucks having mechanical problem already, it sounds like they fixed it. If it doesn't happen again soon, its fixed.

As far as the paint, I can't see a problem in your picture. Maybe you can see it better up close, without a picture. But its minor enough that you didn't notice it when you were looking and bought it. Keep in mind, the paint isn't going to be perfect on any car. In reality, $37k isn't a lot for a new vehicle these days. And they use the same paint process for there bare bones $29k Wrangler as they do their $60k fully loaded Wranglers.

Its a little too soon to go talking about a lemon at this point, based on the problems you described.

OP
OP
jpsindy

jpsindy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calm down. While it sucks having mechanical problem already, it sounds like they fixed it. If it doesn't happen again soon, its fixed.

As far as the paint, I can't see a problem in your picture. Maybe you can see it better up close, without a picture. But its minor enough that you didn't notice it when you were looking and bought it. Keep in mind, the paint isn't going to be perfect on any car. In reality, $37k isn't a lot for a new vehicle these days. And they use the same paint process for there bare bones $29k Wrangler as they do their $60k fully loaded Wranglers.

Its a little too soon to go talking about a lemon at this point, based on the problems you described.
Thanks for your reply and I updated the pic of the paint imperfections to make it easier to see. I just would like to know if anyone has had the same issues and how they were rectified.

Also, I’m sure you are not trying to be condescending but not everyone can afford the top of line Jeeps like yours and definitely shouldn’t be spoken down to because of their economic position.

This is my third Jeep and the wave community is cooler than that usually.

I purchased the Sport model so I can build it up over time to what I want in my vehicle but $37k is a lot of money for anyone to spend on a new vehicle and have to deal with basic QC issues.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Thanks for your reply and I updated the pic of the paint imperfections to make it easier to see. I just would like to know if anyone has had the same issues and how they were rectified.

Also, I’m sure you are not trying to be condescending but not everyone can afford the top of line Jeeps like yours and definitely shouldn’t be spoken down to because of their economic position.

This is my third Jeep and the wave community is cooler than that usually.

I purchased the Sport model so I can build it up over time to what I want in my vehicle but $37k is a lot of money for anyone to spend on a new vehicle and have to deal with basic QC issues.
By no means was I trying to be condescending. I was just stating that all of the Wranglers come out of the same factory, same employees building them, same paint, same QC, etc. A lot of people that have complaints state something to the effect of "I spent $XX,XXX on this, I shouldn't have a problem." Is there a value when someone should have a problem? No. I doubt FCA says Sports can have this problem, but Rubicons/Saharas can't.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in buying a Sport and building that up over time, or leaving it completely stock. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed too if I had to bring my JL in for an issue after a couple hundred miles, which realistically, is still the first tank of gas (for a 4 door). If the dealer had it for two days, I certainly hope they gave you a loaner. I recently had my soft top replaced under warranty, which somehow took two days. I had a minivan rental as a loaner, but at least I had wheels. As for the paint, I still can't tell in your pictures, but that can be something that is hard to come through in digital pictures.

I just think its too early to be talking about it as a Lemon. Problems of the lot, yes, but a Lemon, not yet.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I personally have not had issues with paint on a new vehicle, however a good friend and coworker of mine bought a new fully loaded ram truck a few years ago. Took delivery during a very rainy week. When it finally stopped raining he notice paint issues with his tailgate and passenger door. He worked through the dealer and Ram and they got it taken care of.

I understand your frustration. But at the same time think you will be fine and taken care of. I’d recommend calmly talking to your salesman/woman as well as others at the dealer and they should take care of you. I would also push for a loaner while they have yours.

I wish you the best of luck. I have seen “Jeepcares” folks get involved on here several times. So possibly they will reach out to you and offer to support as needed.

OP
OP
jpsindy

jpsindy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I appreciate that story and it was actually very rainy when I picked new JL up from dealer and same thing - definitely noticed imperfections afterwards. I am going through the proper channels with dealer and getting the digital pics reviewed by corporate. However, would love to know what process is to rectify? Do they buff it out or repaint or whatever?

Last edited:

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As a guy coming from BMWs and Audis I also had high expectations for quality. Dropping 50grand on a Chrysler was a mistake. I love my Jeep but the quality is just shit and as far as reliability is concerned my Rubicon has broke down twice already with the engine misfiring multiple times. 100% I will always have a Wrangler in my garage but never again will I buy a new one.

Consider yourself lucky if the issues you listed above are the only issues you run into.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'd think those red circle marks should easily come off the Jeep with some kind of cleaner. Though it might be harder to remove from the rubber.

Sponsored

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
I'd think those red circle marks should easily come off the Jeep with some kind of cleaner. Though it might be harder to remove from the rubber.
Please tell us you're joking! :giggle:

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
I just purchased a brand spanking new 2020 JL Unlimited Sport and having issues already. It is my third Jeep and it is very disappointing since all others have been great. When I picked it up I was so excited to only get home and notice serious paint imperfections under the clear coat on the top of passenger side door frame. I called Jeep 800 number and they told me to take it to dealer when possible. I finally got to dealer because of another issue at about 200 miles where my traction control, service 4wd, and service ABS indicator lights came on while driving on highway. The dealer kept vehicle for 2 days and replaced the rear right speed sensor but they didn’t fix the paint imperfections. They said they had to take digital pics of trouble spots and email them to Jeep?!?!? Now I have to wait until they contact me sometime in the future with solutions. What does that mean??? I have this new Jeep and have already been to service department, UGHHHH! Has anyone had these problems or been so annoyed so soon after purchasing a $37k vehicle? Please help...

1206849E-A9A5-4E42-859E-EB23BD2FA49A.jpeg

View attachment 274203

View attachment 274213

A1FD2514-620F-4C9D-A7AB-F6EB5FD1C7B6.jpeg

AAC22EFF-AD0F-4F5A-90B2-A971BE61FA9B.jpeg
Had paint imperfections (same as your windshield, over spray, and popped paint bubbles) when I got my JLUR, same color, in December. It’s been taken care of by warranty and painted at the dealer. I get her back tomorrow after being gone a week.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I had two new cars and the jeep that I am waiting for both of my previous cars had paint issues. Missed spots or imperfection in the paint. When my Wrangler comes in I am going to check very thoroughly

OP
OP
jpsindy

jpsindy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great News!!! Jeep has stood behind their product and has fixed both issues under warranty. The warning indicators was resolved with replacing a “speed sensor” and the paint imperfections were resolved at the body shop (not sure what they did but it looks brand new now). Onward and upward.
Sponsored