WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
Hey all,

Has anyone had the Rhino Flat Tray Roof Rack (Below link) installed.

If so, any feedback? Any concerns with fixing it through the roof and is it easy to remove?

And if you're in Aust, how much was install?

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/product...form/pioneer-platform-1828mm-x-1426mm-_jb0889

And does anyone know if there's any flat tray roof racks like the below that doesn't need to drilled into the roof and can be clamped down with roof racks? (Even if this results in a reduced load capacity. I ain't carrying heavy things.

Cheers.
Sponsored

Kenstaroni

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I think with the jeep you're pretty much stuck drilling. That being said I installed a backbone / pioneer system on my jeep in an afternoon. Directions are very straight forward, it's not that big of a deal to do. Buy some butyl or marine sealant as that is not included. Zero leaks, zero issues with mine.

tfs destruction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hey all,

Has anyone had the Rhino Flat Tray Roof Rack (Below link) installed.

If so, any feedback? Any concerns with fixing it through the roof and is it easy to remove?

And if you're in Aust, how much was install?

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/product...form/pioneer-platform-1828mm-x-1426mm-_jb0889

And does anyone know if there's any flat tray roof racks like the below that doesn't need to drilled into the roof and can be clamped down with roof racks? (Even if this results in a reduced load capacity. I ain't carrying heavy things.

Cheers.
Note that this is for my Gladiator, but same concept for JL pretty much now that the rain gutters on JL extend over the full length of the roof (unlike my JKU).

So I also did not want to drill into the roof (yet) so was looking for gutter-mounted racks. However, I still wanted modular, and liked rhino rack pioneer platform. Note I will only use this for light-duty use (plan to use for farm jack, flat-mounted recovery trax, maybe a a lightweight dry-bag occasionally bungeed down, and a few lights). Certainly not a rooftop tent, and nothing like spare wheels or water/gas cans, heavy pelican cases, etc.

I have not tested this off-road, but it feels stout enough for my purposes. The additional steps involved don't make it as sleek as the backbone application, but it is still relatively clean in my opinion.

So, my solution was by combining a few products from their catalog. Basically, it is their HD bars and RL gutter-mount feet, plus a pioneer platform attached to the HD bars with Rhino Rack's "pioneer heavy duty attachment plate kit." That's a $40 part that lets you mount a pioneer platform to their HD bars. It fits just fine too.

Note for those with Gladiators that I actually used Rhino Rack's smallest dimension pioneer platform (36" long x 56" wide) because it fits near perfectly for just the back-half of my Gladiator roof, and allows me to easily remove the freedom panels. This is exactly what I wanted.

The primary downsides of this setup are: (1) Hard to know what "rating" this is because it isn't sold as a package by pioneer (although they clearly contemplate a setup like this by making the attachment plate kit); (2) between the gutter mounted feet, and an attachment plate kit (basically an adapter), there are multiple potential points of failure vs. the robust version of the backbone system), and (3) additional cost by combining individual parts.

Anyway, I may post up this solution in the Gladiator forum with its own thread for those looking for gutter mount solutions using pioneer platform, and i'll certainly update this post if i ever have a failure of this (whether the rack/components themselves, or the Jeep's gutters).

Happy Jeeping . . .

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
WT JL

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
Note that this is for my Gladiator, but same concept for JL pretty much now that the rain gutters on JL extend over the full length of the roof (unlike my JKU).

So I also did not want to drill into the roof (yet) so was looking for gutter-mounted racks. However, I still wanted modular, and liked rhino rack pioneer platform. Note I will only use this for light-duty use (plan to use for farm jack, flat-mounted recovery trax, maybe a a lightweight dry-bag occasionally bungeed down, and a few lights). Certainly not a rooftop tent, and nothing like spare wheels or water/gas cans, heavy pelican cases, etc.

I have not tested this off-road, but it feels stout enough for my purposes. The additional steps involved don't make it as sleek as the backbone application, but it is still relatively clean in my opinion.

So, my solution was by combining a few products from their catalog. Basically, it is their HD bars and RL gutter-mount feet, plus a pioneer platform attached to the HD bars with Rhino Rack's "pioneer heavy duty attachment plate kit." That's a $40 part that lets you mount a pioneer platform to their HD bars. It fits just fine too.

Note for those with Gladiators that I actually used Rhino Rack's smallest dimension pioneer platform (36" long x 56" wide) because it fits near perfectly for just the back-half of my Gladiator roof, and allows me to easily remove the freedom panels. This is exactly what I wanted.

The primary downsides of this setup are: (1) Hard to know what "rating" this is because it isn't sold as a package by pioneer (although they clearly contemplate a setup like this by making the attachment plate kit); (2) between the gutter mounted feet, and an attachment plate kit (basically an adapter), there are multiple potential points of failure vs. the robust version of the backbone system), and (3) additional cost by combining individual parts.

Anyway, I may post up this solution in the Gladiator forum with its own thread for those looking for gutter mount solutions using pioneer platform, and i'll certainly update this post if i ever have a failure of this (whether the rack/components themselves, or the Jeep's gutters).

Happy Jeeping . . .

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg
Nice mate. Looks mint. What’s your capacity?

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on the same boat — don't want to drill yet and not planning on carrying anything too heavy up there. I was watching this video about a rear bumper and couldn't help but notice that AEV had a build with just the RL gutter mounts and the platform; screenshot:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Wrangler - Rhino Roof Racks Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 12.36.13 PM

Which would be exactly what I'm looking for. Do you think you can mount your gutter brackets to the platform without the HD bar?

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019

msk21

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JLUR // 13'JKUS

Happy Jeeping . . .

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Wrangler - Rhino Roof Racks 1625292527500

Out of curiosity, what is the height from the top of the roof to the bottom and or top of the rack? I have been looking to do something like this over the top of my freedom panels for extra space when traveling.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

I went with Maximus 3 Pioneer rack and a couple of ladders. Love it. Bit daunting to drill through the roof, but measure 10 times before drilling and you'll be fine. Bonus is you can run the rack with the hard top off as well.

https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system-long

Bonus is its on sale at the moment

Great looking rack! When you said the hard top can come off, do you mean the whole thing or just the freedom panels?I see mention of the panels but not the whole rack. Thanks!

Sponsored

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Great looking rack! When you said the hard top can come off, do you mean the whole thing or just the freedom panels?I see mention of the panels but not the whole rack. Thanks!

Thanks. So you can easily take the freedom panels off while this is in place, but I took my hardtop off in April and put the rack back on, as it just mounts to the roll bars..... Definitely a nice bonus

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Wrangler - Rhino Roof Racks IMG_6133.JPG

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Thanks. So you can easily take the freedom panels off while this is in place, but I took my hardtop off in April and put the rack back on, as it just mounts to the roll bars..... Definitely a nice bonus

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Wrangler - Rhino Roof Racks IMG_6133.JPG
Wow. Awesome. Thank you!
Sponsored