2020 JL Willy’s acting like Christine

Jman76

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Willy’s
So I just made my first payment on my 2 door 2020 Willy’s and she left me stranded on the road this morning. On my way to work the dash popped up a battery light and auto start/stop warning. Then said to pull the vehicle over as it was going to shut off soon. It wasn’t lying, approximately 20 seconds later I lost all power and all dash lights came on. When I finally came to a safe stop the vehicle was idling rough and the dash lights/computer screen was flashing like there was a power shortage. Then the wipers came on and the Jeep would not go into park. It would not even shut off but was barely running. So it finally stalled but I could not get the ignition button to show in the off position. The hazards were barely working so I deployed the parking brake and went to look under the hood. The wipers were still on even though the lever was not engaged and you could hear all kinds of relays firing under the hood. All lights on the gear shifter were flashing but it was finally in the “park” position. After about 5 minutes I heard the relays reset and the flasher were working normally and the wipers had stopped. When I restarted vehicle it stated to service ESS and automatically disabled traction control and was still running rough and would not go over 30mph. I am assuming it was in limp mode. Fortunately the dealership was only 1.5 miles down the road. This is my third Wrangler and I absolutely love it but now I have reservations about its reliability. It only has 2000 miles on it. Anybody else having issues like this? I am awaiting dealer response.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I just made my first payment on my 2 door 2020 Willy’s and she left me stranded on the road this morning. On my way to work the dash popped up a battery light and auto start/stop warning. Then said to pull the vehicle over as it was going to shut off soon. It wasn’t lying, approximately 20 seconds later I lost all power and all dash lights came on. When I finally came to a safe stop the vehicle was idling rough and the dash lights/computer screen was flashing like there was a power shortage. Then the wipers came on and the Jeep would not go into park. It would not even shut off but was barely running. So it finally stalled but I could not get the ignition button to show in the off position. The hazards were barely working so I deployed the parking brake and went to look under the hood. The wipers were still on even though the lever was not engaged and you could hear all kinds of relays firing under the hood. All lights on the gear shifter were flashing but it was finally in the “park” position. After about 5 minutes I heard the relays reset and the flasher were working normally and the wipers had stopped. When I restarted vehicle it stated to service ESS and automatically disabled traction control and was still running rough and would not go over 30mph. I am assuming it was in limp mode. Fortunately the dealership was only 1.5 miles down the road. This is my third Wrangler and I absolutely love it but now I have reservations about its reliability. It only has 2000 miles on it. Anybody else having issues like this? I am awaiting dealer response.
Hi there @Jman76
Please know that our concerns match yours regarding your experience. If you would like additional support while working with your dealer, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team via private message. We would be happy to open a case on your behalf.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
I have a feeling the ess battery is dead, let us know when you find out. I also have a 2020 Willys (2.0L).

OP
OP

Jman76

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a feeling the ess battery is dead, let us know when you find out. I also have a 2020 Willys (2.0L).
So the dealership claims they found a faulty ground behind the driver side headlight. They claim it was corroded and showed signs of arcing. They cleared all the codes and said it is right as rain. The first tech that test drove it said there were no lights on the dash but could not get it over 45mph. The 2nd tech actually researched the codes and supposedly found the ground issue. I am a little concerned because now there are a few reports of electronic gremlins in this model. I hope not.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
As someone said here recently, if we wanted reliable vehicles we would all be driving Corollas!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jman76

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As someone said here recently, if we wanted reliable vehicles we would all be driving Corollas!
My first car was a Corolla. When we parted ways it had 385k miles on it and I still got $1000 for it.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you buy it off the lot or order it? With the new advanced electrical system on them sitting dormant or short drives can suck the juice down and then everything expecting 12v gets 5v and goes crazy. they should include a battery tender as standard equipment - consider it an plug-in electric vehicle.

OP
OP

Jman76

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you buy it off the lot or order it? With the new advanced electrical system on them sitting dormant or short drives can suck the juice down and then everything expecting 12v gets 5v and goes crazy. they should include a battery tender as standard equipment - consider it an plug-in electric vehicle.
It was off the lot. That makes sense because all new ATV’s come with a battery tender as well. More electrical components=more problems
Sponsored