2020 JL. Universal Garage Dr. opener and Fuel Tank Lock

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Got my 2020 JL. If I program the universal garage door opener, can both the existing remote and the universal GDO both work, or after programming the universal, the original hand held opener will seize to work?

Any recommendations for a lock for the fuel tank. This is the first car I have had, that either does not have a fuel tank lock that can be opened with a key from outside, or one that releases the door from inside the car. i am surprised the jeep is designed without a fuel tank lock, and is open to .......
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Both will work.

7E10D0E8-943C-48D5-95BC-7D457CD3ED02.jpeg

182A5252-2F27-48AC-A7A9-E7F61B342E7C.jpeg

CAC3D982-7304-455F-B29F-CF4D8ACD1F8D.jpeg
Possibly I am the only person in the chat that does not understand.. so for my benefit could you explain the fuel lid lock pictures you provided. There is not any text with the pictures that you provided

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That's an OEM locking fuel cap. It comes with the various pins and instructions on how to code to your key. I bought mine off Amazon from a dealer about 100 miles away for around $50.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a bunch Arterius2 for your quick response - Much appreciated. Johnparjr, I had watched that video , a little while ago, upon searching the net. The video is very intense, and extremely detailed. With a little bit of patience, following the video, one can get the lock customized to your own JL key. I wanted the forum's recommendation, and I am glad this is the one. I will try to get it from Amazon for a better price - The price I currently got, is CDN $100 .

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I coded my key yesterday, following the quadratec video. It's really not as complicated as one might think. Plus you feel great after you successfully configure it with you key haha

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
...just some color commentary: I have one of these fob key matching gas cap locks from MOPAR too. (They also sell one that comes with its own key, I believe, that's less expensive.)

These aren't cheap, and although I didn't find matching the pins (I have some lock experience) that bad, I'm kinda surprised that the people at Bolt haven't designed one that automatically configures to your fob key; or that businesses in the Far East haven't come up with one--perhaps because they're known as great copiers of tech as opposed to designers of same--not that they can't do both. Perhaps Bolt is restricted from doing so.

Perhaps this type of lock requires too much real estate and is better left on things like the hood lock. But I think some people made pay, say $40 more not to have to configure the pins themselves.

I can only imagine what the dealer might charge someone to do this pin matching for them.

: - )

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Got my 2020 JL. If I program the universal garage door opener, can both the existing remote and the universal GDO both work, or after programming the universal, the original hand held opener will seize to work?

Any recommendations for a lock for the fuel tank. This is the first car I have had, that either does not have a fuel tank lock that can be opened with a key from outside, or one that releases the door from inside the car. i am surprised the jeep is designed without a fuel tank lock, and is open to .......
@Arif Moe: I have, as do most people, the kind of garage door opener than can handle multiple remotes. I think there's a limit--and for example, mine, a Craftsman, can handle only one push button opener (located just outside the garage) along with quite a few of the sunvisor clip type.

For these types of openers--which again are quite popular--programming the rig's remote to it won't likely preclude any existing remotes you have from working--although there's an outside chance they may need to be reconfigured at the time.

The real point I guess I am trying to make here is that such limitations that concern you are likely best addressed with the garage door opener maker rather than the JL I'd think. : - )

Peace.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine's a Craftsman too, so coincidentally you have answered my question. Thanks Bud :)
Sponsored