2020 JL - Spare Wheel removal

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Currrently own the 2020 JL. Looking to buy another one. My 2 car garage has a concrete offset on one side that is shorter by about 6 inches, compared to the other half of my garage where I currently park my Jeep. In order that a second jeep can fit in the shorter spot, I am thinking of options available to remove the spare wheel, which may just give enough room to fit the jeep inside (I do not like parking my any car outside in the driveway) and close the garage door. If this is possible than what happens to the rear camera embeded in the spare wheel - Can it be removed and place somewhere else?
Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
You at least physically tried to take the spare off first before posting, correct? Camera isn't embedded in the wheel. Just take the wheel off. TAKE COVER OFF CAMERA FIRST of course. Camera is part of the spare tire bracket apparatus. There are aftermarket deletes that have a much shorter, less phallus-appearing camera... but yes, the camera will still stick out even with the spare removed until you replace the whole bracket with something else.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Currrently own the 2020 JL. Looking to buy another one. My 2 car garage has a concrete offset on one side that is shorter by about 6 inches, compared to the other half of my garage where I currently park my Jeep. In order that a second jeep can fit in the shorter spot, I am thinking of options available to remove the spare wheel, which may just give enough room to fit the jeep inside (I do not like parking my any car outside in the driveway) and close the garage door. If this is possible than what happens to the rear camera embeded in the spare wheel - Can it be removed and place somewhere else?
Sounds like a 1 1/2 car garage? Even the JL Unlimited 4 door is on the short side of automobiles. 6" seems like you'd be able to get it in there.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Sounds like a 1 1/2 car garage? Even the JL Unlimited 4 door is on the short side of automobiles. 6" seems like you'd be able to get it in there.
Sounds like time to build a nice big garage!. Seriously, how long will it take until your tired of screwing with the spare every time you park? Maybe not a new garage but it sounds like a small reno to the existing is in order. You've got 2. 2020 JL's right?

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clarifications: It is 2 car garage. The longer side parks existing 2020 JL, the "not so longer" side parks Honda CRV. Rebuilding the garage is not an option. I have not tried removing the spare. I am thinking of buying a SECOND jeep to fit where the Honda CRV is parked (it fits because obviously it is slightly less longer than the jeep).
The spare will not be an on and off job. Once removed, it will sit somewhere in my garage. For longer trips I may think of loading it in trunk.
Purpose of this post is to see if it is feasible without compromising the rear camera, and to check if anyone on the forum has been in this situation, and to find a viable solution. The purchase of a second jeep jl will be contingent to this, amongst other factors.
Hope I have clarified things. Thanks for your response.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s a 2 car garage it should still be able to fit without removing the spare.

what is the total length of the garage?

Have you tried parking on the short side with the JL you have now?
How close did you get to the front wall?

I have parked 3 vehicles in a 2 car garage before, no joke, (with careful driving) because I didn’t like to leave mine out in the driveway either. Not being able to fit 2 vehicles in a 2car garage to me just isn’t making much sense to me.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
I cant stand the 2 dr.
Google "Wrangler JL spare tire delete kit". Lots of options for a clean and tidy solution from Artec, Metalcloak, American Adventure Lab, etc etc. Maybe throw a puncture repair kit and air compressor in the back for sh!ts and giggles in case you need to get home without a spare.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Artec works with the brake light, and camera

20200130_165037.jpg

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
He is from Toronto and that's like being from anywhere , anyways 2dr. is the genuine original

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My preference is 4dr based on myself and my family requirements. The fact that 2dr is original means nothing to me or anyone - it is someone's preference from one over the other. I still can't stand the looks of a 2 dr.
Please don't drift away from the original post question.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My preference is 4dr based on myself and my family requirements. The fact that 2dr is original means nothing to me or anyone - it is someone's preference from one over the other. I still can't stand the looks of a 2 dr.
Please don't drift away from the original post question.
Take the spare off your current Jeep, you will see the camera and everything is still there. Check out the spare tire deletes like @Craigzjeep posted.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. All consider this issue as resolved. Thanks everybody for your time and input.
Sponsored