Sponsored

2020 JL Rubicon 3.6L Petrol - Fuel Economy

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
My 3.6L auto got better milage after I put a few thousand miles on the engine. But it is still Jeep milage.

OP
OP
WT JL

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
My 3.6L auto got better milage after I put a few thousand miles on the engine. But it is still Jeep milage.
What did you start with? And what are you now?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
What did you start with? And what are you now?
I was getting about 16 mpg when I first got it in the winter of 2018-2019(2 door Rubicon, 3.6, automatic), now I am about 18 mpg. I drive in a hilly area, and when I am on a highway I drive around 75 mph. Seemed to get better after about 4000-5000 miles, which is when my area probably also switched from winter gas. We are presumably using winter gas again in my area, its been 13 months since I've owned it, and am still getting around 18 mpg.

I don't have (and am too lazy to do) the metric conversions.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Resetted the Fuel Economy reading and the reading is heaps better at this stage. I reckon the dealer would of reved the shit out of it in neutral in their garage and obviously that would result in poor fuel economy reading. Hopefully my recent lower reading of 12.5L/100km sticks with the mixed driving that I'm doing.
Hey consider also doing hand calcs to confirm actual
We only use the on-screen calcs for rough estimates

Rubicon with 4.10 and 33” KO2s
16.5 mpg us ~20 mpg imp ~14 L/100 km ave
25 mpg us ~30 mpg imp ~9.5 L/100 km hwy
This was a max downhill run to sea level

With Skybox and ski/SB rack for extra drag
+Up and dn mtns - consumes a bit more

On-screen mpg was not consistent enough
So always calc at the pump after 2 clicks

Since our previous 4x4 with 4.56 was worse
Actually find the consumption to be ok

Sponsored

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
What are government requirements for you down under? Do you have to use 91 octane? Here in the USA we use 87 and it runs good. It is also less expensive. Do you have access to 87 octane?

OP
OP
WT JL

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
What are government requirements for you down under? Do you have to use 91 octane? Here in the USA we use 87 and it runs good. It is also less expensive. Do you have access to 87 octane?
No regulations as such. And we only have 91, 95 and 98. No 87. Never even knew it existed until I got onto this forum. I start using 98 but I’m going to use 91 especially since you guys are using 87.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
No regulations as such. And we only have 91, 95 and 98. No 87. Never even knew it existed until I got onto this forum. I start using 98 but I’m going to use 91 especially since you guys are using 87.
I think the Octane ratings posted on the pumps are calculated differently in the US and Australia so you might want to take that into account.

From a quick google search it looks like they may be 4-6 points lower here than in Australia for the same gas.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Do you get diesel JL in Australia? I have seen videos of some off-roaders with the diesel Patrol and Land cruisers down there and it looks awesome. Hopefully fires died down...

OP
OP
WT JL

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
Do you get diesel JL in Australia? I have seen videos of some off-roaders with the diesel Patrol and Land cruisers down there and it looks awesome. Hopefully fires died down...
Yep we do but it’s about $8k more with the luxury car tax our government imposes so short term it ain’t worth it. but they are definitely awesome. Mates got one and fuel economy is obviously better and it’s definitely got a bit of pull.

It’s heaps better with the recent rain but still some out of control ones north east Victoria but definitely improving. Cheers

Sponsored

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Yep we do but it’s about $8k more with the luxury car tax our government imposes so short term it ain’t worth it. but they are definitely awesome. Mates got one and fuel economy is obviously better and it’s definitely got a bit of pull.

It’s heaps better with the recent rain but still some out of control ones north east Victoria but definitely improving. Cheers
Well, I'm glad the fires are being controlled. I went to dealership yesterday and was very tempted to order a diesel. The third gen ecodiesel sounds great and FCA worked out the bugs, so I am about to order one. It takes about 4 months to build. I'm buttering up my wife so I can get this new toy. She has to sign loan papers too...:jk:

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
In the USA the EPA estimates on the sticker are based on the Sport model vehicles, so the numbers do not reflect actual Rubicon fuel consumption. I don't know if that's how it is in Australia but those estimated numbers don't seem to be indicative of being based on a Rubicon.

Hey all,

just brought a 2020 JL Rubicon Petrol 3.6L here down under.

Was told by the dealer and saw in the fuel economy sticker that I should be getting 13.6l/100km around the city.

I’m currently getting 17.1l/100km for urban driving and it’s brand new and I haven’t even dropped my foot.

I got given half a tank and I’ve only done 100km and The fuel gauge has been dropping fast. I’m down to my last bar and I’ve only done 100km.

Thoughts? Has anyone else noticed this or experienced this problem with a brand new Rubicon 3.6l Petrol?

cheers

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Took delivery last week -JL Rubi 3.6 . Under 1000 kms so far and it dropped to 14.4 /100 with Melbourne morning commute to work. I'll reset and see whether the reading gets any better .

OP
OP
WT JL

WT JL

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Petrol
Took delivery last week -JL Rubi 3.6 . Under 1000 kms so far and it dropped to 14.4 /100 with Melbourne morning commute to work. I'll reset and see whether the reading gets any better .
Nice plates.

mines gone down to 13.8l/100km in Melb commute and I live in the inner city so it’s improved

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Hopefully you see it continue to improve.

FWIW, I’m getting about 12-12.5 l/100 km (19-20mpg) in my manual JLUR with mixed city and highway driving. I’ve got 9000 km (5600 miles) on it and it does seem to be improving tank after tank. I also live in the mountains at 1600 m (5700 ft) which probably makes matters worse.
Sponsored