Sponsored

2020 jl breakin oil change maintenance

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If only there was some type of technology that could determine the number of miles driven and provide a message that it is time to change the oil. Maybe by the time we are flying space ships. Oh wait, space ships aren't on the approved list of transportation in the Green New Deal. But neither are autos.
I assume you are being sarcastic? lol.

No need to wait for that spaceship. Most new cars and trucks have this. Not really sure of how accurate it is but your JL already has a OIL LIFE reminder. It counts down in percentages how much useful OIL LIFE you have left. I believe it takes in to consideration other factors other than just mileage. Probably also calculates engine hours, load, temps, stop and go and other data?
Sponsored

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Bought 2020 jlu Sahara in 4th week of october 2019 (delivered). Due to pandemic , did not drive too much. Its been about 5 months, and put on only 2000 km (Not miles). For the breakin oil change, I have been inundated with phone calls from dealership reminding for oil change.

Due to Covid19, I do not want to take me baby for an oil change, until things get better in a month or so.

Need advise as to how long can I pull on delaying this first oil change, for my jlu at 2000km/5 months. Jeep has been running great without any issues.

My father built engines, he just didn't build them, he blue printed and balanced the motors. Even though this was a long time ago, I believe one thing still holds true that he told me "...changing your engine oil and filter is the cheapest insurance you can buy..." I believe in "change it regularly and change it often", I still change my oil / filter every 3000 miles - and before the "know it all's..." start telling me that is too often, with the average person driving around 15000 miles a year, that means only changing your oil five times a year. If you do it yourself, one is spending less than $150.00 per year. Tell me where one can get a better insurance policy that covers the engine for less ?

Reactions: VNT

NickL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Bought 2020 jlu Sahara in 4th week of october 2019 (delivered). Due to pandemic , did not drive too much. Its been about 5 months, and put on only 2000 km (Not miles). For the breakin oil change, I have been inundated with phone calls from dealership reminding for oil change.

Due to Covid19, I do not want to take me baby for an oil change, until things get better in a month or so.

Need advise as to how long can I pull on delaying this first oil change, for my jlu at 2000km/5 months. Jeep has been running great without any issues.
I have always done a 1000 mile (1,600 km) breaking oil change. Every vehicle!

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
No worries Moe, if you're not opposed to twisting wrenches I'd HIGHLY recommend doing this yourself. The JL is the easiest vehicle to change your own oil of all the vehicles I've owned over the last 42+ years (and I've always done my own oil changes).

This only applies to the V6 motor since that's what I own. It's a simple 15 minute job, and if you buy your oil in a 5qt jug there's no way to overfill it :) Another bonus is the oil filter is on top so no spilling oil all over cross members and splash trays etc.

All you need is a 1/2" socket, a 15/16" socket, and a drain pan :)
Same for the 2.0 turbo.....easiest oil change I have ever done!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My father built engines, he just didn't build them, he blue printed and balanced the motors. Even though this was a long time ago, I believe one thing still holds true that he told me "...changing your engine oil and filter is the cheapest insurance you can buy..." I believe in "change it regularly and change it often", I still change my oil / filter every 3000 miles - and before the "know it all's..." start telling me that is too often, with the average person driving around 15000 miles a year, that means only changing your oil five times a year. If you do it yourself, one is spending less than $150.00 per year. Tell me where one can get a better insurance policy that covers the engine for less ?
Engine techno!ogy has changed since the good old days. Don't be surprised to see CA put a $100 per quart tax on oil. Politicians there like to control those kind of things.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
There are many studies showing that early fluid changes are good for your vehicle. "We highly recommend changing the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set and bearings"

Not only with manual trans and diffs but motors as well. My initial gearbox fluid swap in the 6-manual at 7k had a lot of debris.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I bought a 2019 JLR 2.0 turbo in January 2020 from a dealer in CA. The vehicle was manufactured in January of 2019 so it was sitting on the lot for almost a year. Should I do an oil change now (after 3 months of driving and 3,000 miles) or wait until (?)? And, is there anything else that I need to watch out for since it was sitting so long? It runs great so far.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

Since your engine is new, and even has some pre-broken miles before
the install, I would change the oil in the realm of 2500 miles to
filter and remove and metal chads from the manufacturing process. I'm
not sure FCA drain's and replaces the oil before they install in a new vehicle. The 3.6 is the primary work horse for FCA vehicles, and should serve you well for many years.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I bought a 2019 JLR 2.0 turbo in January 2020 from a dealer in CA. The vehicle was manufactured in January of 2019 so it was sitting on the lot for almost a year. Should I do an oil change now (after 3 months of driving and 3,000 miles) or wait until (?)? And, is there anything else that I need to watch out for since it was sitting so long? It runs great so far.
I would, oil has been in there over a year, oil is cheap if you do it yourself, plus you get 4 freebies. I always change oil very early in my new cars, get the wear metals out. ditto the diffs and t-case, cheap insurance

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I would, oil has been in there over a year, oil is cheap if you do it yourself, plus you get 4 freebies. I always change oil very early in my new cars, get the wear metals out. ditto the diffs and t-case, cheap insurance
The manufacturer recommends changing the differential fluid at about 20,000mi but honestly you could definitely do it before that. I've read on posts here members changing around 10,000 and the rear will pour out black as night without any real rough trailing. Mopar says this is expected but it's a bit surprising how the rear def gets very dirty very fast.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
The manufacturer recommends changing the differential fluid at about 20,000mi but honestly you could definitely do it before that. I've read on posts here members changing around 10,000 and the rear will pour out black as night without any real rough trailing. Mopar says this is expected but it's a bit surprising how the rear def gets very dirty very fast.
per the diffs, IMHO your better off changing the gear lube a few times early.

I did the diffs in my wifes Sahara, with the LSD at a 1000 and again at 7000.
Below is the 75w-90 Redline with 4500 miles on it out my SRT, a ZF unit which only holds a qt, this was 2nd change, dumped the factory fill at 500. refilled with Redline 75w-140.

with drain and fill plugs it is very easy to service them, so why not.

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

ReggieFred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
T
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2019/2019E-All_New_Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf

Page 149 for engine break-in. Page 207 for oil change.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drive train (transmission and axle)in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles(500 km). After the initial 60 miles(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or90 km/h) are desirable.While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.

SCHEDULED SERVICING
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance....

Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km)....

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine runtime, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Follow FCA ie. your Jeep will tell you OR do it once a year or do not exceed 10,000mi. There is no mention of any lower limit, only upper based on time, mileage or duty. You can change it at 100, 1,000 or 10,000mi. Up to you. Changing more frequently may not hurt but it's also not going to do you any better than someone changing a couple thousand more. Personally, I'll run my synthetic to around 7,000mi. Engine stays happy and I'm not unnecessarily adding to the existing waste streams with extra changes.
This is a break in engine procedure. Nothing here mentions a break in oil. Very high level energy conserving oil is lip service. All synthetic oil is made to be this way.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
T

This is a break in engine procedure. Nothing here mentions a break in oil. Very high level energy conserving oil is lip service. All synthetic oil is made to be this way.
Yep. There is no special break in oil and you basically just change as per their regular interval recommendations.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've read on posts here members changing around 10,000 and the rear will pour out black as night without any real rough trailing. Mopar says this is expected but it's a bit surprising how the rear def gets very dirty very fast.
This was definitely true on my JK! The lube shop I was going to would check all of the fluids and the differential fluid would get really dirty really fast.
Sponsored