2020 JL Battery Help

JayPear5

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hey everyone. Feel very dumb, as I'm not much of a car guy but my wife's car's battery is dead. I am trying to jump her from my 2020 Willys, and am unsure on where to connect the positive clip to on the battery.

There are three bolts at the top of the pic. Middle one?

Then there is a bolt at the bottom left?

Then to the right of THAT bolt there is a little clip sticking out where it has the patent number?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Battery Help 20200528_132239

See attached picture.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

anywhere on that post will work. i use the outter most right in your picture when ive jumped cars

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's a secret process I use when I have an issue with my Jeep. I read the owner's manual.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX
OP
OP

JayPear5

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
There's a secret process I use when I have an issue with my Jeep. I read the owner's manual.
The amazing Mopar owners manual and diagram don't answer which of the five bolts to clamp to.

Nice try with your unfunny, smart ass comment. Keep your "secrets" that are useless to yourself.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Battery Help Screenshot_20200528-234230_Drive

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The amazing Mopar owners manual and diagram don't answer which of the five bolts to clamp to.

Nice try with your unfunny, smart ass comment. Keep your "secrets" that are useless to yourself.

Screenshot_20200528-234230_Drive.jpg
Op: it looks like out of the three responses above you received, two helpful people gave you the correct answer already. Hopefully it worked for you and your wife’s car was successfully jumped.

you may wish to keep a battery jumper pack in your vehicle (or home) For future use. If so, The NOCO brand was highly recommended to me.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The manual doesn't say, because all of those bolts are connected to the positive battery terminal. There's the main clamp that is physically connected to the battery terminal. And, as you've found, several other connection points. These are there to provide a cleaner way for multiple cables, etc. to be connected to the one positive terminal. When jump starting and connecting to the positive or negative side of the battery, it doesn't matter what you clamp onto as long as the cable clamp is securely attached.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@JayPear5

Jay: with where to connect to clearly established at this point for you in the thread, focus perhaps needs to switch to the cause of your issues and jump starting technique.

Depending upon the model of JL you own...say the 3.6L, the rig has two batteries, the main--which you see, and the ESS/Aux small one, which is tucked away.

As you may know, you need to keep the energized jumper cables on the main battery for a period of time before attempting a crank.

The reason for this is that, at least in the 3.6L JL, the two batteries, which are connected in parallel when the rig is at rest, both need charge prior to the crank attempt because the original design (this may have changed) of the 3.6 JL was to isolate the second, smaller, tucked away battery from all other power sources (e.g. main battery, jumpers cables connected to the main battery) and test it (the ESS/Aux battery) for power immediately after you press the start button, and NOT proceed with the crank if this battery has inadequate power---even if the main battery was at peak performance.

This logic may have changed in newer 3.6L. There was some talk of this on the board but I think the jury is still out on this one. It's also unknown if such a crank change was downloaded to older JLs.

Chances are, most people in your situation right now have two inadequate batteries from COVID-19 lack of cranking during quarantine. But for most people under normal circumstances, it as been this smaller ESS/Aux battery--again, at least on the 3.6L JLs--that has been the real problem.

Let me know if I can add more detail for you.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone. Feel very dumb, as I'm not much of a car guy but my wife's car's battery is dead. I am trying to jump her from my 2020 Willys, and am unsure on where to connect the positive clip to on the battery.

Then to the right of THAT bolt there is a little clip sticking out where it has the patent number?

Thanks in advance
20200528_132239.jpg

See attached picture.
The post on the bottom left is NOT recommended. This post is for securing the battery cable to the battery and not meant for aux connections. Use the other 3 posts on top.

I guess it could be used if desperately needed, but I wouldn't myself.

Also, to address the limited drive during this pandemic, I've been running a battery maintainer. This has completely resolved my ESS issues. (Note: I've already had the smaller 200CCA ESS battery replaced by the dealership)

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you use a packaged battery jumper?
Thinking of the Type S that Costco sells. I don't see how it can energize the small "hidden" battery. Would it work?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The manual says to attach it to the remote positive post, the one furthest to the back. Even though they are connected, the back one is furthest from the negative terminal to keep the clamp away from it.
It wasn't a smart ass remark I made, just that many of the issues the service department sees are covered in the manual which most people don't read.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Thanks in advance
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 JL Battery Help Screenshot_20200528-234230_Drive

See attached picture.
The "little clip" is were you connect the jumper cable, that's why it's there.

Benagi

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Since were talking about batteries, is there a way to check the ESS battery and the main battery separately with a voltmeter without disconnecting any cables? Thx, Ben
Sponsored