2020 JL 2 door beeps over 60mph inconsistently, sounds like Morse code

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
For some unknown to me reason my 1 year old JL Sport is beeping on the highway. It isn’t beeping at lower speeds at all and it seems unrelated to anything I can control. Visually everything seems fine, all gauges are normal, brake and windows and lights and everything work and don’t make this noise ever. It’s a high ish pitch beep like Morse code.

I scheduled an appointment at a dealership tomorrow but I’m on hour 3 of a ten hour drive so please let me know if you any suggestions for how to stop this beep or what it may be. Thanks!
Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
Do you have any sort of roof rack or after market exterior pieces like a light bar or something?

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
Do you have any sort of roof rack or after market exterior pieces like a light bar or something?
it is coming from inside the dashboard console in the middle maybe behind the unconnect system ish toward the driver.

i did just remove the roof rack and cargo rack today, I also have an aftermarket hitch and steps installed but nothing is connected to anything electrical

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
I took a trip out to Colorado a couple of months ago and put on 2 cross bars and a roof rack and heard weird high pitch noises that sounded like beeping coming from the dash and took me a bit to figure out it was the roof bars. I think it just messed up the aerodynamics of it.

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
I took a trip out to Colorado a couple of months ago and put on 2 cross bars and a roof rack and heard weird high pitch noises that sounded like beeping coming from the dash and took me a bit to figure out it was the roof bars. I think it just messed up the aerodynamics of it.
This sounds the most reasonable so far, ghosts is #2

How did you determine it was from the roof area if the sound seemed to come from the dash? Hoping to recreate your diagnosis technique

Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
This sounds the most reasonable so far, ghosts is #2

How did you determine it was from the roof area if the sound seemed to come from the dash? Hoping to recreate your diagnosis technique
It was actually on a test run the week before I left when I noticed the sound, so took the bars and rack off and it went away, put them back on and it started again. Once it was fully loaded with gear though it didn't happen as frequently.

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
It was actually on a test run the week before I left when I noticed the sound, so took the bars and rack off and it went away, put them back on and it started again. Once it was fully loaded with gear though it didn't happen as frequently.
thats interesting cause I had no noise with the 2 racks, solo or together, but this is happening after taking it off. I will have to closely inspect my roof panels though. I got a rack that had gutter clamps and a noise reduction feature.

The frequency of the beeps has decreased, much less annoying right now and praying it stays this way. Perhaps jiggling the roof helped though. Will remove panels when I next stop

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
You sure you don't just have XM tuned to the contemporary pop music station?

Seriously though, is it an electronic beep or a squeak?

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
You sure you don't just have XM tuned to the contemporary pop music station?

Seriously though, is it an electronic beep or a squeak?
I’m not ruling out some part squeaking, however it doesn’t sound like a squeak. It beeps more the faster I go but doesn’t seem affected by anything else, and is always inconsistent and can stop for periods of time

I don’t have sirius anymore but maybe it’s robot music

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Did you get one of those GPS “security systems”? Check under your dash, behind the OBD port.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
Did you get one of those GPS “security systems”? Check under your dash, behind the OBD port.
i was never told one existed I bought it new.

It’s currently in the dealership getting diagnosed, it only did the beeping for about 4 hours thankfully but still not something to let go unchecked. The rental Cherokee is a smoothdrive but not as fun to drive

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
Well the dealership I went to said it’s probably a wind noise. I wish I understood how to stop it in the future though. Oh well

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Well the dealership I went to said it’s probably a wind noise. I wish I understood how to stop it in the future though. Oh well
I had a beep from the speed control setting, mucked it up when the vehicle was new. Mine was set anything above 100kph (60mph).

It called "Speed Limiter" on my Rubicon.

On my steering wheel, it's on the right side (where the cruise controls are). Has a graphic of a speedometer with a arced line coming up the left side ending 2/3 around the speedo (to indicate that your setting a max speed. The same logo also comes up in the instrument cluster, upper right area.

If your Jeep has those options, you may have tripped it by mistake!

Good luck and hope it's that simple!

CaptStarboard

OP
OP

JamblingMan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL ‘20 Sport S
I had a beep from the speed control setting, mucked it up when the vehicle was new. Mine was set anything above 100kph (60mph).

It called "Speed Limiter" on my Rubicon.

On my steering wheel, it's on the right side (where the cruise controls are). Has a graphic of a speedometer with a arced line coming up the left side ending 2/3 around the speedo (to indicate that your setting a max speed. The same logo also comes up in the instrument cluster, upper right area.

If your Jeep has those options, you may have tripped it by mistake!

Good luck and hope it's that simple!

CaptStarboard
I will take a look but I don’t think I have that. I have a sport s and I think it only has +/-/resume/cancel/OnOff buttons
Sponsored